Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nviz22

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
Will this iPad see iOS 8 that is usable? Pure speculation, but I want to hear thoughts, please? I might buy the iPad Mini 1 and then get the iPad Mini 3.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I suspect it will get it, though it may not be ideal, i.e., slow.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
I suspect it will get it, though it may not be ideal, i.e., slow.

Theres a presumption each version of ios wil get computationally heavier--that may not be the case. However--it does seem likely the ram requirements may grow. I found the mini does a really good job with ios7. i bought the mini last november--I think I may get 2 years out of it--I used the ipad1 for 3 years and it still works great on ios 5.x

mangomind

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Theres a presumption each version of ios wil get computationally heavier--that may not be the case. However--it does seem likely the ram requirements may grow. I found the mini does a really good job with ios7. i bought the mini last november--I think I may get 2 years out of it--I used the ipad1 for 3 years and it still works great on ios 5.x

Compared to past iOS updates, iOS 6 to iOS 7 added quite a bit of computational heaviness. Because of that jump, I think iOS 8 will keep the computational requirements about the same. And if the iWatch runs full iOS, Apple will want to require as little ram as possible to extend standby battery life.

Last edited:

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
Sorry I thought u meant ipad 1. But iPad mini 1 ran on ios6 so it should run iOS 7 and 8 with no problem

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.