Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brm-G

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2011
Hello everyone,

My girlfriend broke her iPhone 4 screen recently and I decided I want to repair it myself.

I have done screen replacements before but the main problem is where to get decent quality parts.

The cheepers ebay screens which are between $18 and $20 wrok just fine, however they are not very high quality.

There are sellers which sell $40 screens but I am wonderen whether or not these will be of better quality.

Can anyone recommend a certain ebay sellers or does anyone know a good place to buy replacement parts?

I live in the Netherlands so US webshops won't be the best solution I guess.

Thanks a lot:)

eddiec312

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2008
Miami, FL
Hello everyone,

My girlfriend broke her iPhone 4 screen recently and I decided I want to repair it myself.

I have done screen replacements before but the main problem is where to get decent quality parts.

The cheepers ebay screens which are between $18 and $20 wrok just fine, however they are not very high quality.

There are sellers which sell $40 screens but I am wonderen whether or not these will be of better quality.

Can anyone recommend a certain ebay sellers or does anyone know a good place to buy replacement parts?

I believe http://www.ifixit.com/Store/iPhone ships worldwide. They sell HQ replacement parts so they will be more expensive than other places.

slapbang

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2014
google jacktelecom ive purchased from them before and they are quite good. If you are just looking for one then I would just look on eBay - alot of sellers in the UK ship to europe.

You can get screens now for around £17.00 so around 20Euro

Hope this helps

Brm-G

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2011
google jacktelecom ive purchased from them before and they are quite good. If you are just looking for one then I would just look on eBay - alot of sellers in the UK ship to europe.

Hope this helps

Thanks for you response :) How about the quality? Were it OEM products or just crappy quality?

slapbang

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2014
it was a replacement screen that looked good and fully worked. there is a fine difference in my opinion between that and an official Apple assembly.

I have found that there are 3 categories:

Original - This is original LCD not assembly. Its basically an original Apple LCD thats been recylcled with an OEM glass on it.

OEM - This is Original Equipment, where parts of the screen may be original manufacturer like the digitiser or connectors etc

High Copy - Usually the cheapest option where the screen is a complete replica - although the cheapest its not always the worst option. i have tried these and have found them to be very good. The difference is High copy and original could be as much as $20-$30 or more.

If you are just fitting it for your own phone then HC option would be perfectly fine

Brm-G

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2011
it was a replacement screen that looked good and fully worked. there is a fine difference in my opinion between that and an official Apple assembly.

I have found that there are 3 categories:

Original - This is original LCD not assembly. Its basically an original Apple LCD thats been recylcled with an OEM glass on it.

OEM - This is Original Equipment, where parts of the screen may be original manufacturer like the digitiser or connectors etc

High Copy - Usually the cheapest option where the screen is a complete replica - although the cheapest its not always the worst option. i have tried these and have found them to be very good. The difference is High copy and original could be as much as $20-$30 or more.

If you are just fitting it for your own phone then HC option would be perfectly fine

Actually I prefer the OEM or Original items. The problem is that a lot of ebay sellers say "OEM", however I think that must be impossible for the prices they ask.

The replica screens are around 20 dollars I guess but I also see sellers which tell they are OEM for around 20 dollars...

I am wiling to pay more if I am for sure it are decent OEM parts.

slapbang

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2014
I repair phones for a living and run a repair centre in the UK.

I get all of my screens from one particular seller on Ebay. I can buy from them directly but I go through eBay so I get my Nectar points lol :)

These are very good quality and cost around £19.00 :)

Brm-G

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2011
I repair phones for a living and run a repair centre in the UK.

I get all of my screens from one particular seller on Ebay. I can buy from them directly but I go through eBay so I get my Nectar points lol :)

These are very good quality and cost around £19.00 :)

Could you share a link (you could also do that in private message)?

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
Hello everyone,

I've had the best, non-eBay experience with eTradeSupply. I was looking for a genuine part for a Samsung Galaxy S4 that I repaired very recently, and I scoured the net for days with info on looking for genuine parts. Even if the parts aren't genuine, the part I received is so good, it might as well be OEM, even if not. eTradeSupply usually sells non-OEM parts along with OEM parts, respectively listed as such, and at a lower price.

Anyways, what carrier is this phone? I assume, since you are in Netherlands, the iPhone your gf has is an unlocked which would probably be closer to an AT&T iPhone, but just in case, here is what I found that eTradeSupply supplies:
iPhone 4 black AT&T

iPhone 4 white AT&T
iPhone 4 black Verizon
iPhone 4 white Verizon

Cheers, and I hope you find what you're looking for. Sent from my MacBook Pro.

Last edited:

l.a.rossmann

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2009
Brooklyn

Hope this helps

I agree with this. I've written extensively on why Jack Telecom sells the highest quality iPhone & iPad replacement parts. Read my argument on why to purchase from jack teleocm here.

http://www.rossmanngroup.com/blog/iphone-ipad-parts-procurement-buy-buy/

Unfortunately you can't have a volume sales business on eBay or Amazon buying good parts because you will be priced out by everyone else, so if you're on eBay or Amazon, you're not going to get anything good.

----------

Actually I prefer the OEM or Original items. The problem is that a lot of ebay sellers say "OEM", however I think that must be impossible for the prices they ask.

The replica screens are around 20 dollars I guess but I also see sellers which tell they are OEM for around 20 dollars...

I am wiling to pay more if I am for sure it are decent OEM parts.

Technically something can be OEM.

Let's say they say OEM LCD. It can be. It can be a refurbished part taken out of a broken phone.. and that's OEM! How much closer to original can a part get than a part that was taken out of an ORIGINAL iPhone? (after it broke, of course)

Now, it may be OEM, but since it was dropped and destroyed several times prior to its being refurbished.... it will die quite quickly after you put it in your phone. :)

See more here.

http://www.rossmanngroup.com/blog/original-screen-myth-didnt-know-screen-told-original/

FWIW, we do not sell iPhone screens, so I am not trying to promote my own business. However, I did spend years selling 2000+ of these per week, and was in the industry long enough to debunk most of the myths, and like spreading this information.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.