Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikebatho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
Greater Manchester UK
Ok, so I've been given a DVD from Poland, which my friend's dad has tried to watch here in the UK but his DVD player is having non of it.

I've copied all of the files in the folders VIDEO_TS & AUDIO_TS (appears empty) onto my mac but I've no idea what to do next.

I have an external HD I can plug in, but I'd like to copy the DVD as near to the original as possible without having to reset or remake all the menus & title screens.

How do I go about this?

Thanks.

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
Might be easier to find out if there is a region hack for the DVD player - quite a lot of them do.

Just checked, Poland is region 2 so it should play fine on a UK dvd - maybe it was encoded as Region 1 by mistake

mikebatho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
Greater Manchester UK
Might be easier to find out if there is a region hack for the DVD player - quite a lot of them do.

Just checked, Poland is region 2 so it should play fine on a UK dvd - maybe it was encoded as Region 1 by mistake

Nah, he's an elderly gent, and his daughter doesn't do techy stuff, so it's down to me to do it at disc end.

It plays fine on my computer. I push in the disc, DVD player starts and away we go..

Just need to copy onto a new disc, make sure it's PAL and plays here....

nobodyhome

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2008
My suggestion would be to use a DVD ripping program to make a duplicate of the dvd without the region lock then re-burn to a new disc since I'm not one to go into a dvd player and fiddle around. I've used SimplyBurns to rip discs, but I've never tried it on a R2 DVD. I don't know what it does in regards to removing regions.

Depending on the size of the DVD rip (less than 5GB or less than 9GB) and the data size of the disc you want to burn it to you may need to shrink/compress the dvd. Usually compressing can cause a slight loss in video quality.

For example, I had DVDs I wanted to copy that were larger than the standard 4.7GB disc I wanted to burn to. I ripped them then used a ported version of DVD Shrink to compress them to the needed size.

If you have the right size disc then you don't need to worry.

After that you should be able to use SimplyBurns to burn the copied disc to a new DVD. I learned the hard way that DVD-R discs are a good choice to burn to, but some players may read DVD+Rs. The players around here seem to like DVD-R discs.

Anyway, that's my 2-cents. I don't know how helpful it may be. ^^;;

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Its possible that its not a region problem, just that the DVD player doesn't like that brand or type of recordable disk. If so, you can use disk utility to make a CDR master image of the DVD, and then burn the master image to a recordable DVD disk type/brand that is known to play in the player. DVD-Rs seem to be more universal than others.

You could also take the disk to a store and use demo players there to see if anyone play it... and buy the player :) I did that years ago for my parents, just to make sure they could play my videos.

mikebatho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
Greater Manchester UK
Its possible that its not a region problem, just that the DVD player doesn't like that brand or type of recordable disk. If so, you can use disk utility to make a CDR master image of the DVD, and then burn the master image to a recordable DVD disk type/brand that is known to play in the player. DVD-Rs seem to be more universal than others.

You could also take the disk to a store and use demo players there to see if anyone play it... and buy the player :) I did that years ago for my parents, just to make sure they could play my videos.

Hmmm... how do I do this master image thing?

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
As Poland is DVD region 2, the same as the UK, it's probably not that problem. Does the DVD play in your Mac? If so, did you have to change the Region Code on your Mac to play it?

Hmmm... how do I do this master image thing?
With the dvd in your Mac, run Disk Utility. The dvd should appear in the top part of DU's sidebar.

Select it, then click on the New Image icon in the titlebar and Save to a location of your choice. To burn a new dvd from that Disc Image, drag it from Finder into the bottom part of the sidebar. Insert blank dvd into your Mac. Select the Disc Image, then click "Burn".

mikebatho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
Greater Manchester UK
Hmm. This is just bloody weird now.

When I put the disc in my regular UK dvd player, I get the menu screen, preview vid playing at the bottom, options (all in Polish) etc, but when I try to scroll through the menu options, click menu or play I get the message 'NOT ALLOWED AT THIS TIME' on screen. When I click pause, it pauses the whole menu screen including preview video, and when I click next chapter, it just starts the menu screen again.

On my mac, it plays ok, I can access all chapters and menu options.

I'm going to get some blank discs over the weekend, and download some disc ripping software, see what that does....

Thanks for the help so far.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Sounds like a DVD player problem to me. When one tries to play a disk menu tree that is not compatible with the DVD player, you will often get the not allowed message or other strange things. Some players are more forgiving than others. It may be easier just to find an inexpensive DVD player that pays the DVD, buy it, and give it to your friend's dad along with the DVD.

Ripping software typically rips the video off the disk so you can use it for other purposes, like adding to iTunes so you can stream to an AppleTV. For exact copy duplicating, disk utility is the way to go

The menus are likely not going to rip to your satisfaction. You will have to put the videos back together again using a DVD authoring program.

BTW I like handbrake for ripping unencrypted DVDs. If the DVD is copy protected, then you need something that will decrypt, like mac the ripper or MakeDVD. All free.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I'm not sure how Poland is, but in a lot of Eastern Europe it isn't hard to get ahold of bootleg copies of movies, are you sure that it is actually a legit disc? I would wonder if it is a bootleg version and there was an issue with the burn when someone made it.

mikebatho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
Greater Manchester UK
I'm not sure how Poland is, but in a lot of Eastern Europe it isn't hard to get ahold of bootleg copies of movies, are you sure that it is actually a legit disc? I would wonder if it is a bootleg version and there was an issue with the burn when someone made it.

It's actually a wedding dvd....

----------

Sounds like a DVD player problem to me. When one tries to play a disk menu tree that is not compatible with the DVD player, you will often get the not allowed message or other strange things. Some players are more forgiving than others. It may be easier just to find an inexpensive DVD player that pays the DVD, buy it, and give it to your friend's dad along with the DVD.

Ripping software typically rips the video off the disk so you can use it for other purposes, like adding to iTunes so you can stream to an AppleTV. For exact copy duplicating, disk utility is the way to go

The menus are likely not going to rip to your satisfaction. You will have to put the videos back together again using a DVD authoring program.

BTW I like handbrake for ripping unencrypted DVDs. If the DVD is copy protected, then you need something that will decrypt, like mac the ripper or MakeDVD. All free.

Hmm. That would mean both mine and my friend's dad's dvd player are defective? Could be I suppose, bit of a coincidence?

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere

----------

Hmm. That would mean both mine and my friend's dad's dvd player are defective? Could be I suppose, bit of a coincidence?

I've seen burned disks that would only play in a computer and not a DVD player, I've never found out why usually I just reborn them and then they work. So my guess is still that something went a little wrong when the person who filmed the wedding burned it to a disk.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH

----------

Not defective players, just not compatible with that burned DVD.... or the DVD has a defect that certain players get annoyed with. Many DVD players have limited capability, some inexpensive players can handle a wider variety of DVD defects however... thats why I suggested trying the DVD in other players before resorting to pulling the DVD apart and then reassembling the DVD.

Like mrkramer said, computer DVD players seem to be more tolerant than many stand alone players. Sometimes just making a CDR image and reburning will clear up the defect. BTW, video DVDs are not the same as data DVDs, so simply copying over the TS folder to a blank disk is not going to work.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.