Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iCaleb

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2010
USA
Thanks for the info regarding the title confusion.

I would like to contribute to MR but I don't like that you have to pay EVERY year thats a real pain to remember.

Shown below is my membership solution.

If my idea below comes to life I will be more than happy to donate 100$ to be a Gold Member.

========================================================

Bronze Membership 25 $

This membership lasts 1 year.

The satisfaction of knowing you are helping MacRumors (the primary reason to contribute).

One small bronze colored MR apple will appear underneath your title.

Access to a private forum.

Removal of most ads.

Bronze Member, Demi-Goddess, Demi-God or Contributor titles.

The ability to customize your profile page and photo album pages.

Silver Membership 50 $

This membership lasts 5 years.

The satisfaction of knowing you are helping MacRumors (the primary reason to contribute).

Two small silver colored MR apples will appear underneath your title.

Removal ALL ads.

Silver Member, Demi-Goddess, Demi-God or Contributor titles.

Gold Membership 100 $

This membership lasts forever!!!

As a gold member that is new to the MR forums you can now have an avatar without waiting.

Three small golden colored MR apples will appear underneath your title.

Removal of ALL ads.

Gold Member, Demi-Goddess, Demi-God or Contributor titles.

Side note..........All of the MR staff and mods should have their usernames colored in red (the same red found on the MR logo) just to better identify themselves.

Last edited:

tekno

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
I disagree. As much as I like the G5 moniker, bein G5 means you have spent your time to be here and have helped and put serious input into the community. I don't feel G5 should be lowered this easily

This is very sad to read. You appear to be getting upset about a moniker on an internet forum.

Don't worry about it. Turn off your computer and go and get some fresh air. You may even choose to speak to a real person.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
thats a real pain to remember.

Not soo much, you get one reminder before expiry date. Even if you don't continue nothing happen except you see ads again.. Just reapply whenever you like. Easy as it is.
The only issue I have is: PayPal ... I need that only for MR

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA

I would like to contribute to MR but I don't like that you have to pay EVERY year thats a real pain to remember.

If my idea below comes to life I will be more than happy to donate 100$ to be a Gold Member.

A subscribe via PayPal solution would be better. $25 from every user every year, vs $100 once is more beneficial from a maintenance point of view. That's why they don't have lifetime memberships for most things.

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
A subscribe via PayPal solution would be better. $25 from every user every year, vs $100 once is more beneficial from a maintenance point of view. That's why they don't have lifetime memberships for most things.

I personally like the way it is now more than any other solution I've read (or can recall reading), including iCaleb's above.

For one, $25/year isn't much so I don't personally see a need to discount it in any way with "packages" or other similar options.

Secondly, this breakdown of $25, $50, and $100 essentially devalues the "appearance" or "dedication" of those who can't as easily cough up $100 at any given moment by giving them less of these "MR apples" and "minting" them in less valuable materials (i.e. off-line, a single gold coin likely has more value than three bronze ones of similar size & weight, yet this would give the $100 contributor three gold apples to another's single bronze one).

Lastly, it doesn't take into account that 5+ years of $25/year means you've contributed more than those who paid $100 up front.

Last edited by a moderator:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Seems 19,000 posts gets you to be a macrumors Core.

I really like that title...

It has more resonance and alternative meanings than most of the titles.

For example, Your a core user, a core member of a team, an integral part of macrumors etc... It's probably the nicest title you can have imo:)

Nov 28, 2010
located
I really like that title...

It has more resonance and alternative meanings than most of the titles.

For example, Your a core user, a core member of a team, an integral part of macrumors etc... It's probably the nicest title you can have imo:)

Nice analysis, I never looked at it that way, I was just sad, that I missed G4 completely.

It even fits my avatar somehow.

Last edited:

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I'm none the wiser either FWI, but I never thought I'd attain a post count of 13000 or anywhere near it...I've never chased the thing just had time on my hands, and once on line you kind of get into a discussion or an issue someone is having and I guess it just mounts up.

G5 is ironic for me, as I had one in the house for a week...I replaced the DVD drive and they guy decided he wanted it back...it runs Tiger very well, but he could;t get his head around the idea of it being a collectable rather than a computer for "Modern" usage.

Oh well, I guess I will start a collection one day!:)

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
makes me wonder how once prolific posters just cold turkey leave

I mean....they probably are still on a computer quite a bit

Life can bring changes to how one participates on MR; on one occasion, working abroad for over a year, I hardly posted for the best part of six months. I was simply too busy - and felt completely in a different world to that of most posters.

I'd imagine a new job, new country, new relationship, personal tsunamis and so on are the sort of things which would cause one to scale back, withdraw, or depart from MR. Some leave and return later - which is a nice thing; some decide that the need it fulfilled is met elsewhere; some may decide they have otter commitments. To my mind, it is not so strange, really.

Bronze Membership 25 $

This membership lasts 1 year.

One small bronze colored MR apple will appear underneath your title.

Removal of most ads.

Bronze Member, Demi-Goddess, Demi-God or Contributor titles.

Silver Membership 50 $

This membership lasts 5 years.

Two small silver colored MR apples will appear underneath your title.

Removal ALL ads.

Silver Member, Demi-Goddess, Demi-God or Contributor titles.

Gold Membership 100 $

This membership lasts forever!!!

As a gold member that is new to the MR forums you can now have an avatar without waiting.

Three small golden colored MR apples will appear underneath your title.

Removal of ALL ads.

Gold Member, Demi-Goddess, Demi-God or Contributor titles.

Side note..........All of the MR staff and mods should have their usernames colored in red (the same red found on the MR logo) just to better identify themselves.

Re-reading this entire thread tonight - an aside: Is that an action which might be regarded as sane or merely satisfying a curiosity which still hasn't a clue of what is going on? That question is rhetorical.

However, this is the sort of universe where members like things catalogued and filed away so that some sort of ordinal logic can be identified. I think the issue with those who have quibbled a little with the changes is not that certain titles are 'easier' (relatively) to obtain now than they were, but rather, that the internal ordinal logic does not appear to make sense, or has not been explained well.

In any case, I quoted the above post because I think it is well argued and could work.

Re $100 for a life ('three golden applies') membership versus the permanent award of $25 dollars annually, here the argument is that people's economic circumstances can change. There are times when $100 seems little, because of remunerative employment, followed by fallow periods where $25 is begrudged because you notice - and feel and need to justify - the fact that you have just spent this money.

I'm none the wiser either FWI, but I never thought I'd attain a post count of 13000 or anywhere near it...I've never chased the thing just had time on my hands, and once on line you kind of get into a discussion or an issue someone is having and I guess it just mounts up.

G5 is ironic for me, as I had one in the house for a week...I replaced the DVD drive and they guy decided he wanted it back...it runs Tiger very well, but he could;t get his head around the idea of it being a collectable rather than a computer for "Modern" usage.

Oh well, I guess I will start a collection one day!:)

The thing that astonishes me about 'collecting' computers is how many of them are utterly obsolete - a mere 30 years after the most transformational revolution in our times, at least on a par with the invention of the printing press (and concomitant invention of paper) - and cannot be used, or accessed, at all once they are utterly obsolete, unlike, say, papyrus, quills, books, and paper, all of which can still be read, sometimes thousands of years later, by those who know the language.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.