Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nochin

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2014
hey guys,

after reading this forum and website for over a year now, i decided to write about my recent days.

So l waited over a year for a new thunderbolt display since the last update was almost 4 years ago.

i had the same problems with the current model like you guys:

- height difference
- the late 2012 imac design
- the new display
so on..

i didnt want to buy such an old monitor for 999 euro, BUT i decided to buy one yesterday..

Now here is the catch: I live in germany, where we have stores like "best buy", called "saturn" or "media markt" (part of the metro group). These stores are especially for electronics.

Not 1 of these stores in berlin (and we have a lot of them here), have ATDs in their stock. On their websites you can read an est. shipping time of 4 weeks, but they told me, that they dont know anything about new arrivals, so they just wrote 4 weeks.

In addition to this: All german resellers could lower the price from 999 euro to almost 700 euro to get rid of their stock.

So hopefully this isnt just another joke and we will see a new atb soon...

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
There are some 4k displays. Yes. But they're expensive as hell. Excepting the crappy Dell 28-something 4k monitor.

The real shame here is that they managed to renew the iMac with a beautiful slim design but had no chance to do the same for the display.

These seem related to me. Apple probably wanted to update the case for the new imac but saw 4k was right around the corner. Now having invested all that time in waiting, they don't want to release something so expensive it doesn't sell or so crappy it's gone in a year.

The curse of perfectionism.

HFoletto

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2013
These seem related to me. Apple probably wanted to update the case for the new imac but saw 4k was right around the corner. Now having invested all that time in waiting, they don't want to release something so expensive it doesn't sell or so crappy it's gone in a year.

The curse of perfectionism.

I think Apple will release the new Thunderbolt Display when OS X will be able to run a 4k monitor at 60hz.
So we might have a 4k Thunderbolt display when the OS X 11 comes out.

Cole Carrera

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2014
I think the new TBD is TBA LOL but really I think the new TBD will be announced and released with the new Airs. I think it will not be Retina.

It will be thinner than the iMac. The Retina version will be later, in the same body style. And yeah it probably will be 5K.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
I think Apple will release the new Thunderbolt Display when OS X will be able to run a 4k monitor at 60hz.

I think so too.
I'm pretty sure it will be 4k. It just makes sense with the nMP.

HFoletto

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2013
I think so too.
I'm pretty sure it will be 4k. It just makes sense with the nMP.

Yeah, of course!
Also, Apple always want to be in the top. When the thunderbolt display was released in 2011, 1440p was impressive. Now it's somewhat ordinary and 4k is impressive.

I really hope the price range doesn't increase much.

ABCDEF-Hex

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2013
NC
Pixelworks reveals Apple as major customer

This link is from the comments to the Pixelworks/Apple connection on AppleInsider:

http://seekingalpha.com/pr/8558901-skyworth-selects-pixelworks-pa168-motionengine-video-display-processors-to-power-ultra-hd-4k-tvs

"Pixelworks PA168 MotionEngine was designed from the ground up to address the Ultra HD market and solves the most complex and persistent problems associated with displaying video at high resolutions and refresh rates. Pixelworks advanced video display solutions include patented Motion Estimation and Motion Compensation (MEMC) technologies and the industries only Halo-Free Frame Rate Conversion (FRC)."

Last edited:

ctakah

macrumors member
May 14, 2012

this was implemented in .9.2

ABCDEF-Hex

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2013
NC
I have been holding out for the next ATD but -

The LG real 4k panel goes into production in the 4th quarter of this year, I'm betting thats the panel of the next ATD.

If Q4 is the timeframe I'll have to get something now. I was hoping for a slim, TB2 (don't really need 4K).

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Proper 4k Support is here in 10.9.3 guys!! Please Please Please Apple bring on a new display....

But they won't just put it on the store like that. Guess we'll have to wait until WWDC or so..:rolleyes:

Kobbie

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2014
Well Thunderbolt 3 has been announced...

Is Apple going to just leapfrog TB2 and make a backward compatible TB3 Monitor?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.