Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Respected Audiophile blogger says iTunes will make Hi-Resolution (96/24 and/or higher) downloads available starting in June with the Led Zeppelin re-issues. http://robertmusic.blogspot.com/2014/03/led-zeppelin-and-future-of-hi-res-audio.html
I would SO welcome this but we'll see.

Oh no, I spent a small fortune converting all my iTunes-purchased content to iTunes+ (256Kb/s and DRM-free) a few years ago, at 30¢ a pop. Definitely interested though! At least for certain albums.

If this came to be, I wonder what kind of a premium Apple would have in mind?

Last edited:

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Is iTunes capable of playing 96/24? Last I checked this was not the case. If I am incorrect, please let me know. Will IOS be updated to handle 96/24?

From the article link, it appears that there is suggestion of watermarking. This is a huge no go for me. I'll continue to download 96/24 or better from HDTracks and other sources. Btw, I am unsure what the comment about HDTrack's site being bad. I have no problems accessing it, finding music I want and using their download manager (which I believe, was created by JRivers).

Last edited:

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Respected Audiophile blogger says iTunes will make Hi-Resolution (96/24 and/or higher) downloads available starting in June with the Led Zeppelin re-issues.

http://robertmusic.blogspot.com/2014/03/led-zeppelin-and-future-of-hi-res-audio.html

I would SO welcome this but we'll see.

As long as they're not putting currently-encoded CD-quality tracks in 96/24 or 192/24 containers and calling them hi-res.

That's criminal.

http://thenoisegroup.com/audio-tech-blog/44-1khz-vs-192khz-david-and-goliath/

Infinus.gold

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2014

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Thats all fine...
but would it run on old iPOD classic 160GB.
or apple will release new iPOD for this HD audio..?...
:confused:

It wouldn't surprise me if Apple used the hi rez audio as a vehicle to jump start sales of newer i-devices.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
So, we can expect new iPods.....

I would like to see new iPods that are capable of hi rez playback (as well as iPhones and iPads). I just wonder if what we have now on the market isn't capable of hi rez play back with the proper codecs in the IOS.

Infinus.gold

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2014
I would like to see new iPods that are capable of hi rez playback (as well as iPhones and iPads). I just wonder if what we have now on the market isn't capable of hi rez play back with the proper codecs in the IOS.

I would like to have dedicated A-DSP for HI-Res music play.
Apple should also support much heavy equalizer using A-DSP.
Apple must give some way to change EQ on from Play screen, not from settings Menu.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
I'd like to see this. I'd never be able to hear the difference, the current quality is fine for me (I couldn't tell between the 128 and the 256 to be honest) but I always appreciate being able to get better quality anything.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
I'd like to see this. I'd never be able to hear the difference, the current quality is fine for me (I couldn't tell between the 128 and the 256 to be honest) but I always appreciate being able to get better quality anything.

In some respects, you are are far more fortunate if you cannot hear the difference between 128 and 256. I think more comes to play with the type of music, how it is recorded and of course what you are using for playback (speakers, headphones, earbuds etc.).

I am one of the few that thought the latest earbuds/pods or whatever they are called that came with my 5s iPhone were far superior to the earlier forms of earpieces that Apple offered with earlier iPhones. By chance I read an article where someone mentioned an inexpensive app that gets even more mileage out of the Apple earpieces. I found this little app (Dirac) to be impressive for playback of 256 and higher quality music.

So I'll just say again, there are several parts to this equation to get better sound. At home, I have lossless CD quality on up to 96/24 files that I use for my home system and I can certainly tell when a 256 AAC file is playing as opposed to a lossless quality file.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
In some respects, you are are far more fortunate if you cannot hear the difference between 128 and 256. I think more comes to play with the type of music, how it is recorded and of course what you are using for playback (speakers, headphones, earbuds etc.).

I am one of the few that thought the latest earbuds/pods or whatever they are called that came with my 5s iPhone were far superior to the earlier forms of earpieces that Apple offered with earlier iPhones. By chance I read an article where someone mentioned an inexpensive app that gets even more mileage out of the Apple earpieces. I found this little app (Dirac) to be impressive for playback of 256 and higher quality music.

So I'll just say again, there are several parts to this equation to get better sound. At home, I have lossless CD quality on up to 96/24 files that I use for my home system and I can certainly tell when a 256 AAC file is playing as opposed to a lossless quality file.

I couldn't tell any difference in audio quality between the old and the new, all I know is that the new ones are far more comfortable and that's made a world of difference.

If it's more expensive to get high-res tracks I probably wouldn't spend the money but it would be sweet to have that option for those who could benefit. If it's the new default then all the better.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
I couldn't tell any difference in audio quality between the old and the new, all I know is that the new ones are far more comfortable and that's made a world of difference.

If it's more expensive to get high-res tracks I probably wouldn't spend the money but it would be sweet to have that option for those who could benefit. If it's the new default then all the better.

I agree the newer earpods beat out the old ones in comfort and sound. What you might enjoy is this app that is based on the actual output potential of both earbuds and earpods that Apple provides and does corrections to the output of music to match. For me, its great for about 90 percent or better of my music.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dirac-hd-player/id547650816?mt=8

Sometimes earphones can be cumbersome and nice to see that a little fix like above goes a long way. I happen to stumble upon this app by reading a review on an audio site for a particular item. The author in passing mentioned the app so I decided to give it a try. If you too decide to give it a try, let me know if you are as impressed as I was. It does more than what an equalizer setting does. - I tried it with some high end earphones and while it distorted the sound, it gave clear evidence more was being done than a "equalizer preset" as some echo and decay was modified based on particular frequency range (to match the ability of the Apple ear bud and ear pods).

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
I agree the newer earpods beat out the old ones in comfort and sound. What you might enjoy is this app that is based on the actual output potential of both earbuds and earpods that Apple provides and does corrections to the output of music to match. For me, its great for about 90 percent or better of my music.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dirac-hd-player/id547650816?mt=8

Sometimes earphones can be cumbersome and nice to see that a little fix like above goes a long way. I happen to stumble upon this app by reading a review on an audio site for a particular item. The author in passing mentioned the app so I decided to give it a try. If you too decide to give it a try, let me know if you are as impressed as I was. It does more than what an equalizer setting does. - I tried it with some high end earphones and while it distorted the sound, it gave clear evidence more was being done than a "equalizer preset" as some echo and decay was modified based on particular frequency range (to match the ability of the Apple ear bud and ear pods).

Cheers, I'll check it out. :)

alvindarkness

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2009
Is iTunes capable of playing 96/24? Last I checked this was not the case. If I am incorrect, please let me know.

iTunes is capable of 24/192. Possibly more but Ive never tried. But there are many 24/192 tracks transcoded (and kept as 24/192) from HDTracks and similar flacs in my iTunes library and it works smooth as silk.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
iTunes is capable of 24/192. Possibly more but Ive never tried. But there are many 24/192 tracks transcoded (and kept as 24/192) from HDTracks and similar flacs in my iTunes library and it works smooth as silk.

The catch is - you cannot play them "as is" on any i-device which is limited. I too go to HDTracks and have quite a good start on 96/24 flac as well as some 192/24.

alvindarkness

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2009
The catch is - you cannot play them "as is" on any i-device which is limited. I too go to HDTracks and have quite a good start on 96/24 flac as well as some 192/24.

True, its probably a catch for most and I'm probably the odd one out - but I only play high definition (and DSD) files from the mac to a dedicated dac. Very happy down scaling on a portable device or in the car. But I wouldnt say no to future iDevices having the capability, would be great just for more material to propagate into our hands.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
True, its probably a catch for most and I'm probably the odd one out - but I only play high definition (and DSD) files from the mac to a dedicated dac. Very happy down scaling on a portable device or in the car. But I wouldnt say no to future iDevices having the capability, would be great just for more material to propagate into our hands.

It would be excellent if one file (hi rez) fits all to be sure.

I would be happy with 96/24 became more universal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.