Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Original poster
Apr 8, 2013
UK
So I'm off work on Monday and I want to buy a new tablet :rolleyes::D

At the moment I have a 16 GB first gen iPad mini

I've decided not to get an android one. I've had a few before and never had a great experience. I'd prefer to get an iPad.

So I've had my mini for 15 months. I use it every day and like the form factor. The only time I wish for a bigger screen is for watching videos and reading comics, however I've quite happily used it for the past 15 months even for those things. I wouldn't mind having more space but I've managed it. I find the screen acceptable. Of course retina would be better and the only thing I think the screen totally fails at is looking at pictures. Anyhow I've thought about it and I have two choices.

1) Keep my first gen iPad mini and buy a 16 GB/ 32 GB iPad Air.

I just worry about how much I'd use the larger iPad. When I had a galaxy tab 10.1 in the end I only used it to watch videos. Maybe that was because it was too heavy, laggy, had an awkward aspect ratio, and most of the apps were not really optimised for the larger screen. I think the iPad is a better tablet with better apps and the aspect ratio lends itself to more things. I wouldn't want to get the air and not use it much, or use it so much that my mini becomes redundant.

2) Buy a 64GB retina iPad mini. I wouldn't mind having the extra space as the 16 GB that I have now isn't enough, but I have managed well enough for the past 15 months without any real difficulty.

Now I could buy an air from the Apple store try it out and swap it out for the mini. However I'd prefer to buy it from one of our department stores (UK) as they are offering a 3 year guarantee. However I'd not be able to return it unless it was faulty.

So my dilemma really is that aside from watching videos and reading comics I don't know want use I'd get from an air. I don't want to do anything productive and I'm perfectly happy, reading, web browsing and playing games on my mini. I can't really see a situation where I'd choose to take the air out with me/ away when I have the lighter, more portable mini. So in my mind I'm trying to justify spending so much on something which may just end up being a sofa device!

At the same time I know that the retina mini is a massive upgrade over my first gen mini but my mini still works and I could buy something else.

Of course my justifications are all relative because I don't need a new device but I'm buying one anyway lol

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
If I were you, I'd save the money and wait until the next iPads come out and then decide. Buying one soon after release is the best way to get the most out of it before you get tempted with the next shiny thing. ;)

On the other hand, if you can't wait, I'd just go for the Air, simply because it's something different than your mini. At least that way there is a chance that both the mini and Air will get some use, whereas if you get the rMini, then it's a guarantee that the original mini won't get used anymore, so might as well trade that in.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'd say that if you buy a second iPad, one of them will be mostly unused. If you love the form factor with a couple of exceptions, what will the retina model give you that you don't have?

I'm not dissing the retina, but if you're content with what you already have why upgrade.

I think the Mini is a great tablet and the from factor is awesome, so I would be the wrong person to steer you to the iPad air :)

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
Since you already have an iPad Mini 1st gen so I think it is best to wait until iPad Air 2 with a better hardwares/large ram(less crash). Apple is testing people with iPad Air right now they realize they are angry at Apple for 1GB ram is not enough. :apple:

TheWheelMan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
Since you already have an iPad Mini 1st gen so I think it is best to wait until iPad Air 2 with a better hardwares/large ram(less crash). Apple is testing people with iPad Air right now they realize they are angry at Apple for 1GB ram is not enough. :apple:

Really? No one's tested me, nor have I had problems with the Air's RAM, at least not yet. It certainly runs graphic intensive games well. I think the problem is with Safari, not the ram. Chrome hasn't done the tab refresh thing.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
Really? No one's tested me, nor have I had problems with the Air's RAM, at least not yet. It certainly runs graphic intensive games well. I think the problem is with Safari, not the ram. Chrome hasn't done the tab refresh thing.

By the way, I wonder if iOS 7.1 or 7.1.1 has fixed Safari crash? :apple:

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
Since you are 6 months into the life of the Air and rMini, why not just buy refurb of whichever model you decide on..

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Personally i would wait for the iPad Air 2, that's exactly what i'm doing, i currently have an iPad 3 and will be upgrading to the Air 2. There have also been rumours and reports that the iPad Air 2 will be released earlier than the usual October time frame. How true this is however i do not know since :apple: keep things under wraps.

DramaLLama

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2011
I really want my first iPad and I'm very impatient but I'm holding out for the next release of the iPad Air... Hopefully price doesn't increase lol...

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Original poster
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Thanks for all your replies. I went for the 32 GB air in the end. It seemed the most logical option lol

I've used touch ID on the iPhone and I wasn't that fussed about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.