Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ohlias

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2011
Canada
Hello

My out of warrant ipad 4 64gb LTE running the latest iOS (7.1.1) has been shutting down unexpectedly of late. This was also happening with the previous iOS version. Basically, I close the Smart Cover as I've always done and put the device down. When I go back to it, instead of being locked, it has shut down requiring the power button to be pressed and waitingj for boot up.

I had suspected a certain app and stopped using it, but it happened anyway. I've tried shutting apps down before closing the cover and it still randomly shuts down. I've don't a fresh iOS restore and still no luck. Sometimes it doesn't happen for a few days and then twice in one day. I've never caught the ipad in the act of shutting down.

The only other strange thing I've noticed is that sometimes when my LTE is activated,instead of showing the signal strength with the dots, the word "searching..." Remains even though the LTE is connected. Does not seem to affect data transmission.

Can anyone help before I head to the apple store?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.