Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GanChan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2005
I've been more concerned about protecting my eyes now that I'm starting to develop age-related cataracts. Of course I wear my sunglasses outdoors, and i'm also buying some UV-blocking drapes for my office where i spend so much time. But I'm wondering if i need to be concerned about my computer monitor too. Not for UV reasons --since LCD/LED screens apparently don't zap the eye with UV the ways the old CRT monitors did -- but because of the blue light these monitors tend to emphasize. Some eye experts claim that blue light may cause or worsen macular degeneration or other retina problems, while others say there's no conclusive evidence.

Do any of you use some sort of special lenses or screen filters? Just wondering how much of an issue this is, if it's even an issue at all.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
I worry about that about as much as I worry about the fact that humans were not meant to sit at a desk for 40-50 hours a week and instead be hunters/gatherers.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Renzatic

Suspended
I worry about that about as much as I worry about the fact that humans were not meant to sit at a desk for 40-50 hours a week and instead be hunters/gatherers.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Hunter-Gatherers only worked about 10-15 hours a week. The rest of that time was spent chilling out in the cave with their friends and family, eating the mammoth they killed while talking about the latest episode of Breaking Bad.

Life was good back then. Simple. Honest.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
Hunter-Gatherers only worked about 10-15 hours a week. The rest of that time was spent chilling out in the cave with their friends and family, eating the mammoth they killed while talking about the latest episode of Breaking Bad.

That's what I'm sayin'.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I don't take it seriously either. I was already blind in one eye, so my right one gets all the computer screen abuse. I've been staring at screens since about 1991, and I've been wearing glasses since about 1994. The eye doctors are always surprised that my prescription only changes by like one point. I haven't gotten a new pair in like three years now, and I still see perfectly fine out of them.

Your eyes have limits. If there's a problem, they will tell you.

Lots of people here use f.lux though. https://justgetflux.com But it's only useful after 6PM and before 7AM.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Use f.lux, you can set it to be on always, even during the daylight.

However, what's more of an issue is going to be the backlight type (I find that CLF is easier than LED on my eyes) as well as refresh rate and how often you blink/let your eyes relax.

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
Use f.lux, you can set it to be on always, even during the daylight.

However, what's more of an issue is going to be the backlight type (I find that CLF is easier than LED on my eyes) as well as refresh rate and how often you blink/let your eyes relax.

This. f.lux is an amazing program and I highly recommend it.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Another f.lux user here.

Seems to work, but I wouldn't mind seeing some research results behind it.

I don't mean the research they cite on their site, but rather research done on f.lux users and a control group. Not holding my breath, but it would be nice.

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
Lots of people here use f.lux though. https://justgetflux.com But it's only useful after 6PM and before 7AM.

And it makes your monitor look like it was previously owned by a chain smoker. I can't stand f.lux! It's funny because so many people make a huge stink about IPS color accuracy and then go make their screen look like someone peed on it.

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
I have heard the same thing about blue light coming from not only from monitors but from LED light bulbs. I had cataract surgery a few years ago, so on one of my follow-up visits, I asked my ophthalmologist about it (blue wavelengths). He said the jury is out on whether blue light has any deleterious effects on the eye. It is something doctors are not worried about yet but which they are, no pun intended, keeping an eye on. More research is needed.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

And on average they lived until they were 33... Not. Much time to worry about sight going bad. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.