Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pollybrowne

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 4, 2009
I apologize if this is something obvious but I haven't done just a single icon change-out since about iOS 3.x when I SSHed in--is there a simple way to do that for a stock app using iFile?

I'd just like to switch out the music player app icon.

Thanks so much!

Syndicate0017

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2013
Is There A Way To Change The Music Player Icon Using iFile?

It'd probably be easiest to just create your own winter board theme folder and then only drop in the music.app bundle with your icon changes. This will keep your changes temporary and not overwrite system files. I'm not sure, but you could probably swap out the png files in /Applications/Music.app but I wouldn't recommend that.

pollybrowne

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 4, 2009
It'd probably be easiest to just create your own winter board theme folder and then only drop in the music.app bundle with your icon changes. This will keep your changes temporary and not overwrite system files. I'm not sure, but you could probably swap out the png files in /Applications/Music.app but I wouldn't recommend that.

Okay please forgive my ignorance but I've never created a winterboard theme, I always just SSHed in and replaced the icon .pngs with alternate ones I found on deviantart etc. when I did it years ago (though I know with iOS changes that's not as simple now and directories are different etc.).

Could you please tell me where I should create the winterboard theme folder?

And then should I just copy the existing musicapp bundle out and make changes in Photoshop if I do it myself? Or are there any places where you can download alternative icon bundles just for a single icon? (I mean I know you can download entire pre-created themes from Cydia but thats the only icon I want to change so I don't want to do a whole theme).

I'm not looking for anything complex I just can't stand the iOS7 music icon.

Thank you SO much for your help!

Jett0516

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2010
Forget ssh.

Install afc2add in cydia and ifunbox from the web.

Through ifunbox navigate to the correct location of the music icon. Replace the icon.

Through ifunbox trash all icons cache in /var/mobile/library/caches/com.apple.iconscache

Respring.

If the icon didn't update it's probably in a different location.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.