Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tej0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2014
Hi there,
I accidentally spilled glass of water to my MBP mid 2012 last week. The machine is dead, there was smoke coming out from it, and logic board is obviously fried (I´ve seen sparks coming from it when I removed back lid). I gave it to service company, which is authorised by Apple. And ofc they told me that it needs to have its logic board changed, which costs 750 USD here in czech republic. So I decided not to repair it, since It is half of price of new computer and I don´t really know whether other components of MBP aren´t fried too. The question is, what is approximate price of macbook in that state and should I sell it as is or by single components? Or should I try to repair it by myself with logic board bought on e-bay?
Thank you for opinions
Teo

james948

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2004
Hmmm. Ex apple genius here.

How do you know you haven't damaged the other components?
Did it have applecare?

Tej0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2014
Well, they told me that logic board is damaged, nothing else they mentioned. So I assume that other parts are working. I don´t have any AppleCare support, I really don´t know if this service works in Czech rep.

james948

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2004
Well, they told me that logic board is damaged, nothing else they mentioned. So I assume that other parts are working. I don´t have any AppleCare support, I really don´t know if this service works in Czech rep.

With liquid damage it would be tricky to know whether it was just the MLB (logic board0 that was damaged. So I would not advise trying to change the MLB yourself. It could end up becoming far far more expensive.

At this point it's your call; personally, I would rather sell it for parts and put the money towards another, newer computer with a year of free Applecare.

Tej0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2014
Yes, I think it´s better idea to sell it. Do you have any advise for me about the price of it?
Thanks

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Dude. I was a genius. Don't you think I know this.

There are various ways of getting covered even if there's liquid damage.
Not unless an Apple representative goes against Apple's policy, which is clearly stated in the AppleCare Terms & Conditions:

What is not covered?

(ii) Damage caused by (a) a product that is not the Covered Equipment (b) accident, abuse, misuse, liquid contact, fire, earthquake or other external cause, (c) operating the Covered Equipment outside the permitted or intended uses described by the manufacturer, or (d) service (including upgrades and expansions) performed by anyone who is not a representative of Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider (“AASP”);

Crugga

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2010
Not sure how it is over there but I spilt coke in a Macbook about 2007 and claimed on my home contents insurance. Had to pay £100 excess but got full amount of new machine back. Remember to remove your hardrive though as you wont get it back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.