Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Ukrainian company Concepter today debuted a new Kickstarter project for the Lunecase, a new iPhone case that uses electromagnetic energy emitted from the iPhone to detect and alert users when a text message or phone call is placed.

The Lunecase does does not require a battery or a connection with the phone, but it is able to determine when the iPhone receives an SMS message or a phone call, at which point it lights up an LED on the back of the phone to create a visual notification.

lunecase1.jpg
The case is smart enough to tell the difference between the two types of notifications and the LED in the case is powered by energy emitted by the iPhone itself. Eliminating the need for a battery allows the Lunecase to retain a thin form factor while being able to provide notifications. Lunecase was initially shown off at CES 2014, where it received positive reactions.

lunecase2.jpg
"Accessories made for the iPhone can sometimes take the beauty and easy functionality away from the phone," said Concepter founder Vlad Tislenko. "Lunecase brings the back of your phone to life and enhances the natural iPhone functionality with no batteries, no cords and no bulk."
Currently, Concepter is creating Lunecases for the iPhone 5/5s and the iPhone 5c.

A limited number of black Lunecases can be preordered on Kickstarter for $30, with a white Lunecase also available for the iPhone 5/5s for a pledge of $39. Personalized engraving is available for $99, and all Lunecases are expected to ship in August of 2014.

Article Link: Lunecase Uses Electromagnetic Energy to Display iPhone Notifications

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
I use the LED to notify me of messages when the phone is muted. It works fine, but can be a little intrusive. This might be cool for something a little more subtle.

Rudy69

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2009
Kinda cool, but by the time it will ship I'll probably be looking at the iPhone 6 lol

thepowerofnone

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2011
This is a little scary - the fact that this case can power its LED off of the background electromagnetic emissions of the iPhone tells you that there is fair bit of energy to exploit there. Makes you wonder if there is a genuine cause for concern.

ppc_michael

Apr 26, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
It looks cool, but who rests their iPhone on its screen for this to be useful?

A lot of Android phones (including my Nexus 5) have a notification LED which slowly pulses different customizable colors for different notifications, which I personally think is the way to go.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Kinda cool.

Maybe not immediately essential but could be an interesting starting point.

sird28

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2012
Apple Logo

Am I the only one that would love for this to be a Apple Logo just on :)

outphase

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
On one hand, it's cool to see accessory manufacturers go in new directions. On the other hand, I have no inclination to buy this when it might be delivered about 1-2 months before I upgrade my phone.

sethlution

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2011
I agree that it's a cause of concern that it can be powered by electromagnetic energy released from the phone, but I'm no physicist. Cool technology though.

You know what would be cooler? Apple turning the Touch ID capacitive ring into an LED notification. Just imagine a glowing home button.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
This is a little scary - the fact that this case can power its LED off of the background electromagnetic emissions of the iPhone tells you that there is fair bit of energy to exploit there. Makes you wonder if there is a genuine cause for concern.
What do you mean? Are you concerned that the iPhone isn't using 100% of it energy efficiently? Because nothing does, including your body.

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
I agree that it's a cause of concern that it can be powered by electromagnetic energy released from the phone, but I'm no physicist. Cool technology though.

If your phone didn't emit electromagnetic energy, it wouldn't *work*. That's what radio waves are. It looks/sounds like it's leeching power off your phone's transmit antenna, which 'powers up' when there is an incoming call or text.

If I'm right, I can't imagine this is going to do good things for signal strength/reception, and that'll cause your battery to drain faster.

I agree that it's a cool bit of tech, though. Even if maybe not practical.

ptb42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
I use the LED to notify me of messages when the phone is muted. It works fine, but can be a little intrusive. This might be cool for something a little more subtle.

I thought about the LED flash as well, and thought "what's the point?"

The case might be more subtle, but I ask again: "what's the point?" The one time subtlety might be important is if your phone is lying face down on a table, in a meeting.

Or perhaps when you are sneaking into a super-villain's lair, and you don't want an incoming text message to alert his minions/goons until you can render them unconscious with a Vulcan nerve-pinch.

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006

The case might be more subtle, but I ask again: "what's the point?" The one time subtlety might be important is if your phone is lying face down on a table, in a meeting.

Or perhaps when you are sneaking into a super-villain's lair, and you don't want an incoming text message to alert his minions/goons until you can render them unconscious with a Vulcan nerve-pinch.

I tried using the LED flash as a notification light for about a week. My wife wanted to kill me at night because it was so freaking bright. I didn't blame her.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008

I'm pretty sure you can power an LED off of a potato, so I wouldn't be too concerned.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT

I find it fairly useful, like when I'm in a meeting I will put my phone face down on the table or on my lap. Then it catches my attention through my peripheral vision. I have email set to not vibrate, so it doesn't make any sound at all.

What's kind of funny is that I can see the LED through my jeans pocket, so when I miss the vibration (don't know why I can't always feel the vibration) or if it's an email, I see the flash.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
I'm pretty sure you can power an LED off of a potato, so I wouldn't be too concerned.

CNN Breaking News tonight: Never mind potato fries making your children obese. Now potatoes are frying your obese children!!*

* Not based on any actual science. Real world facts may vary dramatically. No children were hurt in the making of this message.

portlandia

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2012
Alright. This is nothing new. I used to buy the sticker stuff of this for $1 when I still had a Nokia 3310. I doubt this will be as effective as people think it is. Sure, the case will be able to distinguish AND detect signals for SMS and calls. It's just a matter of duration of the signal. HOWEVER, it would not be able to identify normal notifications like email, iMessage, Facebook chat, or basically any internet based notification since those use a different frequency and emit a different type of signal. So yeah.. Sorry guys.

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
CNN Breaking News tonight: Never mind potato fries making your children obese. Now potatoes are frying your obese children!!*

* Not based on any actual science. Real world facts may vary dramatically. No children were hurt in the making of this message.

Nah, CNN is all about the plane these days!

ptb42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
I tried using the LED flash as a notification light for about a week. My wife wanted to kill me at night because it was so freaking bright. I didn't blame her.

I can understand her annoyance. But, I have to ask: how would this case with a muted light be any better?

Unless you happened to be lying awake with your eyes open, you won't notice it. And if you were, you would could achieve the same thing by putting the phone on its back, so you could see the screen light up.

This seems to be a solution in search of a problem. And I don't see a problem. Sure, it's a cool demonstration of technology, but once beyond you get beyond the "science project" concept, there's nothing there.

Tiptizzle

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
I can understand her annoyance. But, I have to ask: how would this case with a muted light be any better?

Unless you happened to be lying awake with your eyes open, you won't notice it. And if you were, you would could achieve the same thing by putting the phone on its back, so you could see the screen light up.

This seems to be a solution in search of a problem. And I don't see a problem. Sure, it's a cool demonstration of technology, but once beyond you get beyond the "science project" concept, there's nothing there.

Does the screen light up with do not disturb on?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.