Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Onimusha370

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 25, 2010
Anyone else thinking that the current Macbook Air line (11 and 13 inches) could become the 'Macbook' line, and the new 12 inch retina macbook being released could be the 'new' Macbook Air?
To me this makes sense, it means the entry pricing of Apple's notebooks remains low, and both the 'pro' and 'air' lines are more cutting edge, whether its in terms of portability or power.

Thought it would be cool to get some opinions on how the naming might change :)

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
I look at the spec's, than I buy if it meets my needs. Care less about a &%$@ name of any product ;) My .02 cents worth.

yongren

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2011
Unless they go to having a "Pro" and "Air" version of every product line

iPad Air is already out... iPad Pro may be only a matter of time

iPhone "S" and "C" models might be made into a similar distinction

C64

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
I agree the current "MacBook Air" should be the new "MacBook", so the bar for "normal" notebooks becomes what the current MBA is. But we don't know what Apple's long term strategy is, and how the naming fits there. If there's really a 12" version coming with an even slimmer case, they might change it up.

But marketing might have a lot to do with it as well. Maybe the stats are telling them that "Air" sells, so they keep it around, and it might explain why they go from iPad, to iPad 2, The New iPad, and now iPad Air.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Anyone else thinking that the current Macbook Air line (11 and 13 inches) could become the 'Macbook' line, and the new 12 inch retina macbook being released could be the 'new' Macbook Air?
To me this makes sense, it means the entry pricing of Apple's notebooks remains low, and both the 'pro' and 'air' lines are more cutting edge, whether its in terms of portability or power.

Thought it would be cool to get some opinions on how the naming might change :)

It could happen. I am expecting a super thin (Like iPad level thinness) 12" laptop with no screen bezel giving it the smallest footprint of any Apple notebook (Or any 11"-12" notebook ever.) But I also suspect that it may not be a traditional Apple laptop, I think it will be the "iPad Pro" that some rumors have been lining up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.