Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Apr 29, 2014, 11:44 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Microsoft's Office for iPad Apps Gain Printing Capabilities

Microsoft's Office for iPad apps, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint received their first major update today, gaining the printing capabilities that were notably absent when the apps launched back in March. The lack of an ability to print documents directly from the apps was a major complaint in initial reviews of the mobile productivity suite.

According to an official blog post, all three apps will gain the ability to print over-the-air to an AirPrint-compatible printer.
Quote:
Your top request is here! You can now print Word documents, Excel spreadsheets, and PowerPoint presentations to an AirPrintTM printer. In Word for iPad, you can choose to print a document with or without markup. In Excel, print a selected range, a single worksheet or an entire spreadsheet. Of course, you can select the pages or slides you want to print.
Along with printing capabilities, the apps have gained a few other highly-requested features, including SmartGuides for PowerPoint and AutoFit for Excel. While SmartGuides help PowerPoint users align pictures, shapes, and textboxes on a slide page, AutoFit will let Excel users adjust the width and height of multiple rows and columns at once.

Each update also includes a number of bug fixes, along with a note from Microsoft outlining its commitment to continually improving its Office for iPad apps. "We're already working on the next update," reads the post.

All of the updates are currently available and can be downloaded from the App Store for free, but editing and creating documents requires an Office 365 subscription. Microsoft OneNote has also been updated with bug fixes.

- Microsoft Word for iPad [Direct Link]
- Microsoft Excel for iPad [Direct Link]
- Microsoft PowerPoint for iPad [Direct Link]
- Microsoft OneNote for iPad [Direct Link]

Article Link: Microsoft's Office for iPad Apps Gain Printing Capabilities
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2014, 11:48 AM   #2
Daalseth
macrumors 6502

Pass

My Mac and iPad are MS Free Zones.
Daalseth is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2014, 11:48 AM   #3
bingeciren
macrumors regular

AirPrint compatible printer! An iPad (IOS) limitation that we have to live with.
bingeciren is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2014, 11:48 AM   #4
Dribo
macrumors newbie

This is great, and a feature that makes me want office even more. But I think it should have been here from the beginning.

Edit: I get this for 25$ a year at my school, so any addition and I'm happy.
Dribo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2014, 11:48 AM   #5
sunshinerag
macrumors newbie

Tut Tut, wasn't MS making fun of AirPrint during the surface vs iPad wars? what happened?
sunshinerag is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2014, 11:49 AM   #6
Rudy69
macrumors 6502

Shipping Office without print support was an odd decision
Rudy69 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2014, 11:49 AM   #7
rikardors
macrumors member

requires an Office 365 subscription also? Cause then is like neh
Old Apr 29, 2014, 11:50 AM   #8
puma1552
macrumors 68030

Printing is great, a subscription is not.

Any software that requires a monthly subscription - not interested, will not use.
Arrandale i7 15" MBP; Haswell i7 13" rMBP; 24" LED ACD; 500GB 2G TC; 64GB iPad 4 WiFi; 32GB iPhone 5 (2); 160GB iPod classic 7G (2); 16GB iPod nano 5G; 30GB iPod Video 5.5G; 2GB iPod shuffle 4G; ATV 3
puma1552 is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2014, 11:50 AM   #9
longofest
Editor emeritus

Send a message via AIM to longofest
We bought an Office365 subscription once Office for iPad came out so that my wife could use her iPad more for work, and from what she's told me, it has been pretty good. She tried to use the iWork apps and really struggled with them, finding them unintuitive and difficult to use in a tablet environment besides some pretty bad compatibility issues sometimes. So far none of those complaints from Office365, though she hadn't tried to print yet, so this update is certainly welcome.

For a subscription fee, Microsoft better not sit still.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 11:51 AM   #10
skaertus
macrumors 68020

OK. What about Microsoft Office for Mac now?
Old Apr 29, 2014, 11:52 AM   #11
Kissaragi
macrumors 68000

Surprised this wasn't in at the start. But good news anyway
Kissaragi is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2014, 11:52 AM   #12
The Doctor11
macrumors 68030

Wait... "Gain printing" as in it wasnt there before? Why would they have not put that in before?
Old Apr 29, 2014, 11:52 AM   #13
ValSalva
macrumors 68040

Office for iPad would be so much more useful if it wasn't just another data silo. Having to use OneDrive is a deal killer for me.
ValSalva is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2014, 11:53 AM   #14
captain cadet
macrumors regular

So i still need to fork out 80 for a new printer... I knew we wasn't going to get all the features as the surface has
captain cadet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2014, 11:55 AM   #15
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinerag View Post
Tut Tut, wasn't MS making fun of AirPrint during the surface vs iPad wars? what happened?
Satya Nadella became CEO.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 11:56 AM   #16
Piggie
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post

Any software that requires a monthly subscription - not interested, will not use.
Why do you feel this for only computer software?

If there nothing else in your life you pay a small amount each month for?

TV, Car, Insurance etc etc.

Why pick computer software as the item you don't wish to pay for this way?
Old Apr 29, 2014, 11:57 AM   #17
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain cadet View Post
So i still need to fork out 80 for a new printer... I knew we wasn't going to get all the features as the surface has
Well that's more of a function, or lack thereof, of iOS, not Office for iOS. But you don't need to buy an AirPrint printer. There is inexpensive s/w that will let you print to any printer connected your Mac (I'm sure similar is available for PC too).
Old Apr 29, 2014, 11:58 AM   #18
thekeyring
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post

It frustrates me that people write this off so much. You won't EVER rent software?

Adobe Flash Pro was upwards of 800 a few years ago, now it's <20 a month with a 1-app Creative Cloud subscription. Much better!

You pay less and are constantly on the latest software.
thekeyring is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2014, 11:58 AM   #19
Codestud
macrumors member

To those people who complain about subscriptions - many Apple fans were content to pay MobileMe subscriptions for many years.

"But MobileMe was a service" you say. Well, Microsoft is moving its business model to Devices and Services, of which it sees Office as a Service.

I don't mind the subscription at all.
Codestud is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2014, 12:01 PM   #20
Woyzeck
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy69 View Post
Shipping iOS without useable printing support as well.
Woyzeck is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2014, 12:02 PM   #21
teknikal90
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy69 View Post
so was shipping the iphone without 3g, cut and paste, mms or video recording capabilities
Old Apr 29, 2014, 12:04 PM   #22
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggie View Post

If you pay for a car or TV in installments at some point you own it and can decide when to upgrade, or not. You can lease a car, that is an option, but it's the only option to get Office for iPad. THAT is what people object to -- not having the option to just buy it at a reasonable price and be done with it for a few years. Traditionally consumer's purchased a license that let them use the software for life, not a month or a year. The OneDrive method can cost a lot more than outright purchase depending on one's use and upgrade cycle.

Insurance has never been something one makes a one time payment and is covered for the rest of their life.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 12:05 PM   #23
Tiger8
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinerag View Post
That's still the case. Windows still operates wider range of printers than the iPad. All what they are doing is giving iPad users the ability to Print, per Apple rules.
Tiger8 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2014, 12:05 PM   #24
drewyboy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggie View Post

TV I own and receive OTA. Yes I do have netflix, but there is simply no way that I could afford the library I watch if I was to purchase out right.

Car. Hands down cash to own. I will NEVER have a car payment.

Insurance... that's a bit of a reach. You have no other option. The monthly fee is because I might switch Ins. companies, I could switch homes/cars/etc, I could increase/decrease liabilities.

The reasons computer software is the biggest sore thumb is because there never was an issue before buying it outright. MS Office $120. I'll have it for a few years (3 usually because I'm forced to upgrade due to extension changes). Computer software just isn't "expensive" enough to justify monthly payments. It's just been forced upon us to make more money. Plain and simple. New features are becoming less and less so they need something to make more. Look at all the people STILL using XP. Can you imagine if OS's were monthly payments?
Old Apr 29, 2014, 12:06 PM   #25
dmunz
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValSalva View Post
Office for iPad would be so much more useful if it wasn't just another data silo. Having to use OneDrive is a deal killer for me.
This.

If I can't use DropBox I don't see the point. I like the apps but I don't want to have to move my stuff to another could site.

FWIW
DLM
dmunz is offline   4 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion