Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yukhalilsel

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2014
The Netherlands
Are there any good AntiVirus software for iOS?

iphone does not need any antivirus program because of the sandbox apps are opened in. When not jailbroken, it is thus far not been able to affect iOS with viruses. Same goes for other apple products as well. Somehow windows is more easy to target

ndh777

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2014
Los Angeles, CA, USA
On Android, AVG had their own antivirus app designed for the OS. But Android had a few rumors of viruses that were plaguing devices mostly from China that never seemed to reach the U.S. or other nations. iOS has yet to see any of these rumors what with Apple's tight grip on the OS versus Google's leniency with Android restrictions.

However, that doesn't mean viruses aren't possible on the OS just like they aren't on Macs.

You'll probably see some version of AVG's or another software company if a credible rumor of a virus attacking iOS devices ever hits the news. Until then, there doesn't seem to be any on the App Store yet.

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Even if an antivirus was released in the AppStore, I question it's usefulness considering it'll be sandboxed

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Sounds like it doesn't seem all that crazy given the recent mentions of some malware in some packages it would seem.

bkribbs

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2012
Same goes for other apple products as well. Somehow windows is more easy to target

I believe that's not the difference, it is that windows has a larger user base, so it is more profitable to target windows. OS X has certainly had security problems in the past, but windows just attracts all the attention of virus makers because of their numbers.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
I believe that's not the difference, it is that windows has a larger user base, so it is more profitable to target windows. OS X has certainly had security problems in the past, but windows just attracts all the attention of virus makers because of their numbers.

So that's why iOS has no viruses too? :rolleyes:

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012

I would say that no viruses have really been created to target iOS because the majority of devices are not jailbroken (not saying a lot aren't, but there's a larger percentage that's not jailbroken than jailbroken) and viruses for iOS are only effective towards jailbroken devices

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
I would say that no viruses have really been created to target iOS because the majority of devices are not jailbroken (not saying a lot aren't, but there's a larger percentage that's not jailbroken than jailbroken) and viruses for iOS are only effective towards jailbroken devices

Ah, ok. So it's almost like iOS devices are more secure than their competitors?

bkribbs

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2012

Yep exactly. You cannot target the normal iOS user base because iOS is sandboxed. You could target the jailbroken people, but like you read in my previous post, if the user base is too small, then they won't bother.

Thanks for the sarcasm, bud.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
Yep exactly. You cannot target the normal iOS user base because iOS is sandboxed. You could target the jailbroken people, but like you read in my previous post, if the user base is too small, then they won't bother.

Thanks for the sarcasm, bud.

You're welcome :)

(fun fact: I'm currently waiting on an iPad Mini 2 in the mail as well :D)

bkribbs

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2012
Ios gives users less freedom and is therefore more secure :)

Being denied admin rights on a device I own grinds my gears

This confuses me... you're in the jailbreak section, lol

You're welcome :)

(fun fact: I'm currently waiting on an iPad Mini 2 in the mail as well :D)

I actually got mine, just haven't updated the sig. You'll love it though, its great!

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
This confuses me... you're in the jailbreak section, lol

I actually got mine, just haven't updated the sig. You'll love it though, its great!

Hahaha I just got mine too... I'm a little upset I can't jailbreak it, admittedly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.