Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old May 1, 2014, 10:23 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple's WWDC 2014 to Focus on OS X 10.10 as Apple Pulls Resources from iOS 8 to Help

According to 9to5Mac, Apple may use WWDC 2014 to focus on OS X 10.10, giving the desktop OS more attention than iOS 8 during the annual developer conference. Apple allegedly has been moving iOS user interface developers to the OS X teams in order to finish up the new design in time for early June conference.

As has been previously reported, Apple is not merging the two operating systems, opting to keep iOS and OS X as separate entities, but the next version of OS X may share similar design elements with iOS 7.
Quote:
The new look will have similar toggle designs to iOS 7, sharper window corners, more defined icons across the system, and more white space than the current version. However, OS X characteristics like the Finder, multi-window multitasking, and Mission Control will not disappear in favor of a more iOS-like experience.
Apple is targeting the desktop OS for release in the fall along with new hardware that will ship with this latest OS X version. Though the internal development codename of OS X 10.10 is "Syrah," the shipping name is still unclear, with Apple apparently securing trademarks for popular California locations that would match the new theme started with "Mavericks."

On the iOS 8 side of development, Apple is allegedly pushing some features of iOS 8 off to version 8.1 as the company focuses intently on its next version of OS X. Though Apple may present most of the new features of iOS 8 at WWDC next month, some notable additions such as transit functionality in Maps may not be available until later versions of iOS 8.

iCloud will reportedly see some significant changes in the coming year with improvements on the developer side that make it easier to implement support for the service. Siri may also see Shazam integration, allowing users to identify a song using the voice assistant. Lastly, iOS 8 is reportedly being optimized for Apple's upcoming A8 processor and the rumored larger display of the iPhone 6.
Quote:
The new iPhone's larger display, as well as a "high-priority" iOS device that is not an iPhone, also lends itself to another core iOS 8 addition. The feature, dubbed by Apple employees as "multi-resolution support," is designed to improve the performance of both App Store applications and the general iOS operating system across multiple new iOS device resolutions.
Apple TV is also now a priority for Apple, with the company rumored to be bringing in hardware and software engineering resources from within the company to work on the next generation device. Apple may be concurrently developing new hardware as well as a revamped iOS-based software system to power the device. Apple had hoped to introduce the hardware in early 2014, but the product's debut has been pushed off. It is, however, unclear whether a new Apple TV will make its way into the WWDC keynote.

Article Link: Apple's WWDC 2014 to Focus on OS X 10.10 as Apple Pulls Resources from iOS 8 to Help
MacRumors is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014, 10:25 AM   #2
Sky Blue

Looking forward to the OS X redesign, nice that it'll get centre stage after being out of the spotlight for iOS for many years
Sky Blue is offline   51 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014, 10:25 AM   #3
skaertus
macrumors 68020

Finally Apple is giving OS X some attention.
Old May 1, 2014, 10:25 AM   #4
iPhone7s
macrumors member

The other way around from last year then
iPhone7s is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014, 10:25 AM   #5
jredecop
macrumors 6502a

Hope iOS 8 has quick reply...
jredecop is online now   14 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014, 10:26 AM   #6
dmelgar
macrumors 65816

iOS8 needs multi user support on iPad.
Old May 1, 2014, 10:26 AM   #7
AppleGuesser
macrumors regular

Apple pulling resources from iOS to OS X? *gasp*

In all seriousness, pretty much everyone assumed this was coming. iOS pulled people from OS X, so it only makes sense this is the year for OS X.

Here's to hoping they name it OS X Compton
Old May 1, 2014, 10:27 AM   #8
Tankmaze
macrumors 65816

this feels like when the iphone 5 launched, where Apple focus more on the OS X,
it's the "tick" phase for iOS this year then.
Old May 1, 2014, 10:27 AM   #9
William Gates
macrumors regular

Bad move IMO if iOS 8 isn't near completion. What is more important to the bottom line and mind share, iOS or OS X?
Old May 1, 2014, 10:28 AM   #10
rwilliams
macrumors 68030

Dear Apple,

Buy Flux and implement it into both OS X and iOS. Your customers' eyes will be very appreciative.
rwilliams is offline   35 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014, 10:28 AM   #11
ValSalva
macrumors 68040

It's nice for OS X to get some attention but I'd rather have the many bugs in Mavericks fixed before OS X gets a cosmetic overhaul.

With Mavericks still problematic after over six months one can only wonder how long it will take to get 10.10 working reliably.

I also feel badly for developers. 10.10 is probably going to make for a lot of needless work.
ValSalva is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014, 10:29 AM   #12
scottishwildcat
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Gates View Post
Bad move IMO if iOS 8 isn't near completion. What is more important to the bottom line and mind share, iOS or OS X?
And who's going to write all the cool software for iOS if developers start drifting away from the Mac?
scottishwildcat is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014, 10:29 AM   #13
monaarts
macrumors 65816

I need 2 things to make me very satisfied with my current Apple products:

1) A more seamless integration between iOS and OS X. I feel that iCloud is still a little "clunky" in OS X. Also, make things a bit more organized in iTunes as I currently feel that syncing my iPhone is more difficult than it was before the new iTunes.

2) An Apple TV that has an App Store. If they could make it a bit smaller I'd buy one for my bedroom, one for my living room, and another for when I travel. IDK why they couldn't make it smaller, it basically needs to be an iPhone without a screen and battery.
Old May 1, 2014, 10:29 AM   #14
Notafanboyyet
macrumors newbie

Oh good god I hope they don't follow the design patterns of iOS 7 in OSX, I really hate this "flat" phase people seem to be going through
Notafanboyyet is offline   48 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014, 10:30 AM   #15
djplaxe2109
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmelgar View Post
iOS8 needs multi user support on iPad.
But then your family will only buy one iPad?
Old May 1, 2014, 10:31 AM   #16
n-evo
macrumors 6502a

Incredibly nice to hear rolls are reversed for the first time and OS X is actually getting more priority.
n-evo is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014, 10:32 AM   #17
Traverse
macrumors 68020

I'm glad. I actually get more excited for OSX updates than iOS. I just hope this update is more than just superficial UI
Traverse is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014, 10:33 AM   #18
sshambles
macrumors 6502

I would support a 'flat' OSX.

But then again, I like iOS 7.
Old May 1, 2014, 10:33 AM   #19
Lone Deranger
macrumors 65816

Very pleased to hear iOS taking the back seat for a change.

I like my iPhone & iPad, but I love my Macs!
Old May 1, 2014, 10:33 AM   #20
Godzilla71
macrumors 6502

Looking forward to the announcements! The month wait countdown has begun! I am sure the rumors, leaks and what have you will be pretty steady all month long leading up to WWDC.
The anticipation will suck. Then they will finally have the announcement putting all the rumors to rest. Then I'll come back here for the oooohhh's and ahhh's, the the disappointments and the WTF! Apple arguments and complaints. etc. etc.

Last edited by Godzilla71; May 1, 2014 at 10:39 AM.
Godzilla71 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014, 10:34 AM   #21
MagicHAM
macrumors regular

Finally some attention for OS X :P Should be a good WWDC this year.
MagicHAM is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014, 10:34 AM   #22
AppleGuesser
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notafanboyyet View Post
Oh good god I hope they don't follow the design patterns of iOS 7 in OSX, I really hate this "flat" phase people seem to be going through
They more than likely will follow a design queue from iOS 7. But that doesn't mean it will be all flat. OS X Lion took queue's from iOS but didn't look exactly like it. They will merge the look of iOS 7 more than likely with iCal, Messages, Notification Center, Game Center, etc.

I wouldn't panic or worry just yet. Although the flat design has grown a lot on me and I don't think I would be overly opposed to the idea of having a flatter OS design language similar to iOS 7.
Old May 1, 2014, 10:34 AM   #23
sethlution
macrumors regular

I'd love some UI redesigns on OS X, but please don't add too much white space though. Using iPhone and iPad at night is already straining my eyes enough.

On the iOS side, I hope we get more than a couple of (non-gimmick) new features, seeing as last year version was all about the redesign. The rumoured healthbook app sounds useless to me, and Maps will take years to be useable in city outside the US. If truth be told, iOS 7.1 is running almost perfectly for me. Better battery life optimisation is all I need
sethlution is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014, 10:34 AM   #24
Yvan256
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by monaarts View Post
An Apple TV that has an App Store. If they could make it a bit smaller I'd buy one for my bedroom, one for my living room, and another for when I travel. IDK why they couldn't make it smaller, it basically needs to be an iPhone without a screen and battery.
You think the AppleTV is too big? How do you propose to do that, considering the power supply is built-in? If you want to compare the size to an iPhone, don't forget to include a power adapter.

The size of the AppleTV is fine as it is, IMHO.
Yvan256 is offline   17 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014, 10:35 AM   #25
furi0usbee
macrumors 6502a

The only way I get excited for 10.10 is if the new design is a unified design. I'm not talking about 50% new, or patching things here and there. I'm talking about a unified design which spans across the OS and Apple's apps.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion