Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old May 1, 2014, 11:04 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

MacRumors 2014 Blood Drive

MacRumors is pleased to announce the Fifth Annual MacRumors Blood Drive, throughout the month of May 2014. Our goal is to increase the number of life-saving donations in real-world communities by encouraging everyone in our online community to step forward. While most blood drives are specific to a geographic location or collection center, our blood drive is online and worldwide. Our past blood drives have collectively recorded donations of hundreds of units of blood and platelets.

We ask that you:

1. Donate blood or platelets at any donation center or hospital near you. Join the bone marrow registry in your country. Sign up for the organ donor registry in your state, province, or country.

2. Post in the MacRumors 2014 Blood Drive! thread. Tell us about your donation or registration experience, or post a post-donation selfie. We'd like to thank you.

3. Share the news and our message with other people you know, online and in person. Convince one other person to donate blood in the month of May. Help us thank the donors who post about their experiences.

For details see the MacRumors 2014 Blood Drive! thread and our traditional Honor Roll of recognized donors.

Why donate blood or platelets?

Donated blood and platelets save the lives of people recovering from accidents, undergoing surgery, or struck by illness. These are people in your own neighborhoods who need your help. Donated blood and platelets are needed every 2 seconds, not just when hurricanes, earthquakes, and other disasters occur. An hour of your time could save up to 3 lives.

Why join the bone marrow registry?

With a simple cheek swab you are volunteering to donate stem cells or bone marrow if you match someone dying from a disease like leukemia. There are many thousands of people each year searching for donors to save their lives. You might be the one and only person who can save a particular patient's life.

Why join the organ donor registry?

Thousands of people die every year while waiting for organ transplants. Your donation of organs when your own life ends could save the lives of as many as 8 people.

The lives you save may belong to your friends, neighbors, relatives, or complete strangers. Someday you may receive the same generosity from others. There's no gift more precious than the gift of life.

This year's first blood donor: forum member "stridemat"
What to do today

See the links and general information in our two knowledge base articles: Blood and Platelet Donation and Organ, Tissue, and Bone Marrow Donation. Donor eligibility rules vary by country.

1. If you are eligible to donate blood: Schedule a blood or platelet donation, in May if possible. Register for the bone marrow registry. Register as an organ donor.

2. If you aren't eligible to donate blood: Some people aren't eligible to donate blood for medical reasons, while others are barred by government policies that many find outdated. Speak your mind about it in the Blood donor eligibility thread. You can probably still register for the bone marrow registry and register as an organ donor.

3. Help our drive by thanking donors and convincing a friend or relative to donate blood.

Apple charity

Apple's support for charity has picked up in recent years. Apple has supported a number of health, relief, and charity efforts over the years, especially through Product (RED). See our updated knowledge base article: Apple Support for Charity.

Article Link: MacRumors 2014 Blood Drive
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014, 11:14 AM   #2
keterboy
macrumors regular

Funny, just yesterday we saw a documentary by ARTE about how big pharma companies and hospitals make billions on your so called blood "donations"... Unfortunately there will always be someone making money on our generosities. It definitely helps patients in need, but it sure helps some people get richer than they already are.

keterboy is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014, 11:17 AM   #3
longofest
Editor emeritus

Send a message via AIM to longofest
Quote:
Originally Posted by keterboy View Post
Funny, just yesterday we saw a documentary by ARTE about how big pharma companies and hospitals make billions on your so called blood "donations"... Unfortunately there will always be someone making money on our generosities.

Yes, but by far the people who profit the most are the people whose lives are saved.

If you want to cut out middle men, you can always give direct to a hospital rather than to the Red Cross. I've heard that the Red Cross can charge pretty hefty $ for blood.

Still, I think the point is that if you are able, then please give.
Old May 1, 2014, 11:26 AM   #4
jesuscandle
macrumors regular

Please give if you can.

Blood donors have saved my life - twice. So please, if you're thinking about donating, know that you are literally saving lives.

I'm not eligible to give, so I depend on the kindness of strangers. It really does make an incredible difference.
jesuscandle is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014, 11:37 AM   #5
dmk1974
macrumors 68000

Blood donations are very important. I'd also be interested in which method was used for donation.

Manual (straight into a bag, 1-way from donor)
  • Whole Blood

Apheresis (with a machine, returns some fluids back to the donor)
Here's a link showing some of the different types.
http://www.fenwalinc.com/Pages/Apher...llections.aspx
  • Platelets
  • Plasma
  • Red Cells/Double Red Cells

Last edited by dmk1974; May 1, 2014 at 12:03 PM.
dmk1974 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014, 11:38 AM   #6
stridemat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesuscandle View Post
Blood donors have saved my life - twice. So please, if you're thinking about donating, know that you are literally saving lives.

I'm not eligible to give, so I depend on the kindness of strangers. It really does make an incredible difference.
I know people who have had lives saved by others giving blood. For such a small amount of time it is such a worthwhile cause and does really help save lives.
stridemat is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014, 11:38 AM   #7
ColinInATL
macrumors newbie

Happy for the Cause, Sad for the Gays

I think it's great the MacRumors is participating in the cause of blood donation, but it reminds me once again that the FDA has banned all gay men from blood donation for the past almost three decades on the outdated belief that they are somehow protecting the blood supply. I know my HIV status better than most straight men, but it doesn't matter. They don't want my blood. Sigh.
ColinInATL is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014, 11:46 AM   #8
calaverasgrande
macrumors 65816

I used to give blood regularly until I was in a car accident and NEEDED blood. They sure charge you a lot more than they pay for it!
Though that is more a byproduct of our top heavy and profit happy healthcare system than the blood drive people.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinInATL View Post
I think it's great the MacRumors is participating in the cause of blood donation, but it reminds me once again that the FDA has banned all gay men from blood donation for the past almost three decades on the outdated belief that they are somehow protecting the blood supply. I know my HIV status better than most straight men, but it doesn't matter. They don't want my blood. Sigh.
I wasn't aware of that?!
If that is true I think I am going to attend the next company blood drive and 'register as gay' if there is a slot for that on the intake form, to see what they say.
I'm about as straight as straight gets but I'm horrified by ignorant homophobia. But then my parents are artists and I grew up around gay people. I find them about as remarkable as redheads or the left handed. Vilified by ignorant people, but normal otherwise.

jeez can we at least ACT like we are in the 21st century?
calaverasgrande is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014, 11:55 AM   #9
DudeDad
macrumors 6502

If you are not on a bone marrow registry, you should be. It only takes one to make a difference. I know this, because in 1991 I donated bone marrow to an unrelated leukemia patient. I met him a year later, along with his wife and 4-year old son. My donation allowed him to watch his son grow up, graduate college, and fall in love (the wedding is in June). He had an additional 22 years with his wife and son because I was on the registry. Oddly enough, this article was posted today, May 1. He passed away exactly a year ago today. He once said to me, when I asked him how he was doing, "I got to kiss my wife this morning and play catch with my son....it doesn't get any better than that."

Look into the registry...it can make all the difference in the world.
DudeDad is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014, 12:01 PM   #10
Davmeister
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I'm soon to be a Doctor and I am also bi (with a boyfriend of 5 years currently) so I understand more than anyone the risk/benefits. Unfortunately its the way the rules are, even here in the UK you have to be MSM free for 1 year (so I'm still excluded). Either way there is usually nothing stopping you becoming an organ donor or registering for marrow. Hopefully people will rate up my post and see this rather than the usual 'gays can't do it' & consequent gay rights arguments that go back and forth and distract from whats important during each MR blood drive.
Old May 1, 2014, 12:05 PM   #11
CXsjr
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by calaverasgrande View Post
Sadly in the UK, you can only give blood as a gay man if you haven't had sex in the past 12 months; hardly worth going through all the associated trauma of coming out as gay if you aren't then going to "be gay"!

You're oh so true, ignorance has much to answer for ....
Old May 1, 2014, 12:10 PM   #12
distemp
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeDad View Post
If you are not on a bone marrow registry, you should be. It only takes one to make a difference. I know this, because in 1991 I donated bone marrow to an unrelated leukemia patient. I met him a year later, along with his wife and 4-year old son. My donation allowed him to watch his son grow up, graduate college, and fall in love (the wedding is in June). He had an additional 22 years with his wife and son because I was on the registry. Oddly enough, this article was posted today, May 1. He passed away exactly a year ago today. He once said to me, when I asked him how he was doing, "I got to kiss my wife this morning and play catch with my son....it doesn't get any better than that."

I tried to be. I'm gay. They didn't want my bone marrow so they don't get it.
distemp is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014, 12:22 PM   #13
aduzik
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calaverasgrande View Post
I used to give blood regularly until I was in a car accident and NEEDED blood. They sure charge you a lot more than they pay for it!
Though that is more a byproduct of our top heavy and profit happy healthcare system than the blood drive people.

----------

I wasn't aware of that?!
If that is true I think I am going to attend the next company blood drive and 'register as gay' if there is a slot for that on the intake form, to see what they say.
I'm about as straight as straight gets but I'm horrified by ignorant homophobia. But then my parents are artists and I grew up around gay people. I find them about as remarkable as redheads or the left handed. Vilified by ignorant people, but normal otherwise.

One of the questions they ask you is if you've ever had sex with a man. If you say yes, you are never allowed to donate blood. Like the OP said, I know my HIV status far better than most straight men.
aduzik is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014, 12:30 PM   #14
Steve.P.JobsFan
macrumors 6502a

Went to the BMV today - and had my ID reissued as one marked as an organ donor.

I may not be able to donate blood (yet) because of my age, but this is the best I can do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	152.0 KB
ID:	470727  
Apple TV | 3rd Generation
Steve.P.JobsFan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014, 01:09 PM   #15
thatoneguy82
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
I'm sort of in the same boat as you. But, I know the importance of blood donation so I simply lie on the question about MSM. Why? Because I know my status. But, it's still annoying that there is that ban.
thatoneguy82 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014, 01:23 PM   #16
TouchMint.com
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeDad View Post

Wow that's great stuff!

TouchMint.com is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014, 01:47 PM   #17
Parasprite
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by CXsjr View Post
Sadly in the UK, you can only give blood as a gay man if you haven't had sex in the past 12 months; hardly worth going through all the associated trauma of coming out as gay if you aren't then going to "be gay"!

You're oh so true, ignorance has much to answer for ....
From what I've gathered, the same exclusion applies in America except if you identified as MSM on their forms anytime in the past you are essentially permanently blacklisted from donating.

Someone correct me on this if I'm wrong.
Old May 1, 2014, 01:50 PM   #18
hudson1
macrumors 6502

Quote:
They won't take my blood, either, as I'm a cancer survivor of over 20 years but I don't consider it a case of civil rights or anyone being cancer-survivor-phobic.
hudson1 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014, 01:55 PM   #19
SirHaakon
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by hudson1 View Post
They won't take my blood, either, as I'm a cancer survivor of over 20 years but I don't consider it a case of civil rights or anyone being cancer-survivor-phobic.
Out of curiosity, what do you consider it?
SirHaakon is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014, 01:55 PM   #20
satcomer
macrumors 601

When my Appendix burst when I was 15 blood drives saved my life (along with the speed of the Ambulance, the coach who found me passed out & the Doctor). They said they had to pumped me with a lot of blood during emergency surgery. So please give blood often because someday you may need it.

Last edited by satcomer; May 5, 2014 at 02:27 PM.
satcomer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014, 02:12 PM   #21
koban4max
Banned

how about apple donate Mac products..like mac pros.
koban4max is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014, 02:25 PM   #22
hudson1
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirHaakon View Post
Out of curiosity, what do you consider it?
Two things:
1) Prudence
2) They know more about the risk of transferring illnesses via blood transfusion than I do or ever will (and likely more than anyone else here as well)
hudson1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014, 02:29 PM   #23
rivertrip
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keterboy View Post
Funny, just yesterday we saw a documentary by ARTE about how big pharma companies and hospitals make billions on your so called blood "donations"... Unfortunately there will always be someone making money on our generosities. It definitely helps patients in need, but it sure helps some people get richer than they already are.

Your hysterical opinion would be more likely to convince people who disagree if you provided some supporting information - at least a link to the documentary you claim to have watched.
rivertrip is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014, 02:44 PM   #24
Klae17
macrumors 6502a

Sorry can't donate blood since I'm gay.
Old May 1, 2014, 02:44 PM   #25
Joe HS
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hudson1 View Post
Two things:
1) Prudence
2) They know more about the risk of transferring illnesses via blood transfusion than I do or ever will (and likely more than anyone else here as well)
I'm pretty sure they.. You know.. test the blood regardless. A disease won't get transferred.
Joe HS is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion