Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheBeastman13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 5, 2012
Hi, All

I'm a college art student who just got into photography last fall. I'm looking to practice night-time/astrological exposures, but holding the shutter down for ~two minutes disrupts the clarity and makes for subtle blurring.

I'm using a Nikon D7100. From empirical knowledge, can anyone recommend a reliable and durable shutter release so I can get to practicing?

Thanks,

B.

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2013
A cheap shutter release that is released under many brand names and sold on fleabay will do all you could want and more. For under $20, it's ridiculously cheap and I have never had any issues with mine, whether using it as a standard release, for long exposures, with a delayed start or as an intervalometer for star trails.

mojolicious

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2014
Sarf London
Oooh, an intervalometer looks interesting.

I've got the same 'Nikon but not really Nikon' remote unit as fanboy. Haven't used it a great deal (with a D7000 rather than D7100) but it's not let me down.

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
I have both wireless and cable remotes (Nikon mentioned above) but prefer the positive/certain operation of the cable remote. The wireless IR can miss if you're not carefull.

Also, I don't believe you can burst shoot with the wireless - at least you can't on a D600.

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
Just a remminder TheBeastman13...when doing long exposures, don't forget to cover the viewfinder eyepiece. Ambient light can and will leak through.

I've forgotten a couple times, returned home and found the lower third of the image completely mucked-up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.