Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
I agree. It's funny to see how people in this forum post here, without having any idea what they are talking about. Sometimes I think that this forum is full of teenagers that know nothing about technology and the industry...

sometimes?

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
I downloaded them but more to check them out than any other reason. Truthfully, since Microsoft Office wasn't available when I purchased my iPad, I bought and started using Pages, Numbers and Keynote.

The company that I work for is almost all OS-X. Many, like mine have Windows installed either via WM Ware and/or Bootcamp. To save money a few years ago, IT tried to get everyone to use Open Office. There were compatibility issues and lack of training so it didn't work out. I find that I use the Word:Mac 2011, Excel:Mac 2011 and Outlook:Mac 2011 more than any others. However, I do like Pages, Numbers and I use Keynote on the Mac or iPad.

Microsoft missed the boat in my book by not having it available when I wanted it. I learned to use something else and I'm not sure I want to change now.

ornulf

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2014
I don't understand all the complaints in the reviews about the pricing. This is where the industry goes, to a subscription model.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
$99 a year works out at $8.25 a month. Quite a lot if all you'd like from Microsoft is the iPad apps.

Certainly the subscription price is not worth it only to use the iPad app. I agree, though, that the subscription price is not that expensive for all it offers. However, Microsoft should have provided a cheaper subscription for those who wish to use the iPad app alone.

What about Office 2014 for Mac? This is the one I really want to see. I feel that Office 2011 is outdated and needs a replacement.

dizzymac 63

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2014
Office365 is not fraud

Those of you saying the fee is outrageous and fraud are just plain ignorant. My Office365 subscription allows me 5 installs of Office for my Mac/PC PLUS I get it on my iOS devices. I get the latest version of the software at my disposal on multiple machines. Not to mention an Exchange server account as well.

Who here paid $99 a year for a .mac account and got an email address for that price....

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Certainly the subscription price is not worth it only to use the iPad app. I agree, though, that the subscription price is not that expensive for all it offers. However, Microsoft should have provided a cheaper subscription for those who wish to use the iPad app alone.

What about Office 2014 for Mac? This is the one I really want to see. I feel that Office 2011 is outdated and needs a replacement.
I just upgraded to Office 365 from Office 2003. So Office 2011:Mac still has that new software smell. :D

I agree with you about subscription options. But given the overwhelming response in the Office for iPad threads here, I doubt that any subscription price no matter how low will be welcomed.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
People also like to think that Office for iPad costs 99$/year. This is only true if you don't care about what this subscription really offers:
  • 5 licenses to install Office for Mac/PC
  • Access to the latest Office version for PC and Mac
  • 60 Sky minutes per month
  • 20GB additional space on OneDrive
  • Office for iPad in edit mode
When evaluating if this subscription is valuable for you, I think you should consider all of the above items.

One you missed off that list, which is a biggie for me, is the ability to activate and deactivate each of the five installs.

I do a lot of testing, reinstalling, reconfiguring my machines and had to give up on Office 2011 a long time ago as I ran out of activations, and there was no way to uninstall/deactivate before making changes.......there is now.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
One you missed off that list, which is a biggie for me, is the ability to activate and deactivate each of the five installs.

I do a lot of testing, reinstalling, reconfiguring my machines and had to give up on Office 2011 a long time ago as I ran out of activations, and there was no way to uninstall/deactivate before making changes.......there is now.

Yes, you are right. It's nice to have that option. Another thing to consider is that subscribers only get the click to run Office 2013 on Windows.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
Yes, you are right. It's nice to have that option. Another thing to consider is that subscribers only get the click to run Office 2013 on Windows.

Not quite sure what "... subscribers only get the click to run Office 2013 on Windows" means. Would you mind saying a bit more?

Does it mean that I can use my Office 365 sub to install Office 2013 in Windows on Parallels VMs (provided I stay within my five installs)?

Thanks

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
Not quite sure what "... subscribers only get the click to run Office 2013 on Windows" means. Would you mind saying a bit more?

Does it mean that I can use my Office 365 sub to install Office 2013 in Windows on Parallels VMs (provided I stay within my five installs)?

Thanks

Office traditionally was distributed in MSI packages and users could customize the packages. This is especially useful for big organizations that need this kind of customization.
The click to run version uses App-V virtualization, allows having multiple versions of Office on the same windows pc and can be installed easily, directly from the Internet. The only disadvantage? Some Addons (especially for Outlook) don't work with the click to run version.
Your Office Home Premium subscription allows you to install Office on five PCs/Macs, so you could install Office on Windows too.

Here you can find a list of issues with the click to run version: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/e...ues-HA101850565.aspx?CTT=5&origin=HA101850538

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
Office traditionally was distributed in MSI packages and users could customize the packages. This is especially useful for big organizations that need this kind of customization.
The click to run version uses App-V virtualization, allows having multiple versions of Office on the same windows pc and can be installed easily, directly from the Internet. The only disadvantage? Some Addons (especially for Outlook) don't work with the click to run version.
Your Office Home Premium subscription allows you to install Office on five PCs/Macs, so you could install Office on Windows too.

Thanks for explaining

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
OneNote just updated as of May 1 to reflect the look of the rest of the apps. Get it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.