Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
Perhaps i'm not that clever or maybe i'm just not the right target but i don't understand the increased attention on biometric sensors in our portable devices. I don't need a watch, phone, or pair of earbuds to tell me i'm fat; mirrors can do that for me already. I've also managed to live my entire life without needing to know my exact heart rate and blood pressure at any given moment. Outside of athletes and perhaps hypochondriacs, who would this appeal to?

Well, I'm not an athlete or a hypochondriac, just someone who was getting older and feeling sluggish and wanted to feel (not look) better. I got an UP band over a year ago and was appalled at my first week's stats. I'd thought that I was walking a LOT more than I was, and sleeping a lot more (the UP data shows actual time asleep, not just time in bed tossing and turning). The data I got helped me make real change in my life, and the data I still get helps keep me on track, reminding me (with a vibration) when I've been sitting for too long and showing me when I need to add a walk to my day or go to bed a bit earlier.

Wearable tech isn't about telling you you're fat, it's about helping you to be more healthy, regardless of size.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
My thoughts exactly. The fact that this patent was applied for in 2007 BEFORE the iPhone was even released, shows exactly how far Apple is looking ahead. 7 years later, biometrics is becoming all the rage.

Also, I wonder if sometimes the "anonymous" sources are Apple themselves, such as with the iWatch. This allows other companies to "get the jump" on Apple and beat them to market, but all it does it lets Apple sit back and watch as they clumsily try to innovate, thus letting Apple see what DOESN'T work. Basically, letting competitors be the focus group. Then 2 years later, Apple comes out with their devices that are refined and make non of the mistakes that others did.

Or maybe they just apply for every patent they can think of just in case seeing as many of the patents they applied for in the past never came to fruition?

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
The wires are a deal breaker, they are so 1990s. I'll never go back to a wired pair of earphones ever in my life. I'd also be concerned about Apple's piss poor reputation with earphones, I've always viewed the ones that come with my iphone as junk to be thrown in a drawer and forgotten.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
The wires are a deal breaker, they are so 1990s. I'll never go back to a wired pair of earphones ever in my life. I'd also be concerned about Apple's piss poor reputation with earphones, I've always viewed the ones that come with my iphone as junk to be thrown in a drawer and forgotten.

Wired headphones sound better than wireless ones.

mkldev

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2003
I use my EarPods in the gym/running because they stay in your ears and sound good. With these added features, my EarPods will become everyone's go-to fitness earphones.

Yes. No one charges their phone when doing any sort of fitness anyways so it won't make a difference for most.

Except for everyone who keeps the phone in a holster on his or her belt. A lot of iPhone holsters don't expose the Lightning port, because if the device is on your belt, you aren't charging it....

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Wired headphones sound better than wireless ones.

Maybe, but I'm one of those poor scrubs who doesn't notice the difference. I primarily only listen to music driving in my car with no headphones, or sweating at the gym. I'd rather have the convenience of being able to work out than having wires around me, worse yet having garbage Apple headphones which wouldn't stay in my ears even if I glued them in.

But my wireless Jaybirds sound pretty awesome anyhow.

Last edited:

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Maybe, but I'm one of those poor scrubs who doesn't notice the difference. I primarily only listen to music driving in my car with no headphones, or sweating at the gym. I'd rather have the convenience of being able to work out than having wires around me, worse yet having garbage Apple headphones which wouldn't stay in my ears if I glued them in.

But my wireless Jaybirds sound pretty awesome anyhow.

I agree. I like wired for serious, active listening, but wireless is quite convenient in many uses. The wireless headphones have improved a lot.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
The Secret rumour claims the earpods need the Lightning port which was why the headphone jack was moved to the bottom.
They didn't say what it was needed for though.
That makes it sound like it'll use both the lightning port for data and the headphone port for audio.
Or lightning is used for recharging or for everything. Frankly if Apple wanted to move forward they would get rid of the wires for normal operation. Lightning would be good for bulk data transfer and recharge. The other possibility is that the Lightning port is actually built into the device allowing communications with a number of USB based devices.

If they used the lightning port only instead of the headphone port, then they wouldn't need to move the headphone port. It could mean an ugly split connector at the end of the earpods though.
One thing that bothers me is the iBeacons nonsense. If you are going to add circuitry for that then why not make the normal mode of audio transfer a variant of Bluetooth?

Some of the report just doesn't add up especially when you consider that Apple usually build well balanced devices.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Yeah, because something hasn't been possible in the past, that means it's not possible, period?

You cannot measure blood pressure from the ear. Period. In order to measure blood pressure extravascularly, one needs to physical occlude an artery which, by the way, humans do not have one available to occlude in the external ear canal. Technology certain may evolve quickly, producing things we never thought were possible, but the human body does not. So, sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Tork

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2006
Nobody needs continuous BP monitoring in the community, even if it were possible within the ear using an earbud. Thus, false. They'd never spend that kind of money researching and developing (and charging for) such a useless feature.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Perhaps i'm not that clever or maybe i'm just not the right target but i don't understand the increased attention on biometric sensors in our portable devices. I don't need a watch, phone, or pair of earbuds to tell me i'm fat; mirrors can do that for me already. I've also managed to live my entire life without needing to know my exact heart rate and blood pressure at any given moment. Outside of athletes and perhaps hypochondriacs, who would this appeal to?

I really don't understand where all the fuss is coming from either. I understand heart rate, because fitness buffs might want to know it during a workout. Pulse oximetry? There is no evidence in the medical literature to correlate oxygen saturation with fitness in people without cardiopulmonary disease. And if you do, you definitely shouldn't be relying on a cellphone. Otherwise, this just seems like a desperate attempt for Apple to demonstrate they can still "innovate" post-Jobs.

----------

Nobody needs continuous BP monitoring in the community, even if it were possible within the ear using an earbud. Thus, false. They'd never spend that kind of money researching and developing (and charging for) such a useless feature.

Correct. The only people who need continuous vitals are those in the ICU.

rillrill

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
New York
health - this will, i think, be cook's legacy. he is a known fitness enthusiast. i don't think he'll have the impact that jobs did, but it's still cool tech nonetheless.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Correct. The only people who need continuous vitals are those in the ICU.

Perhaps, but I think this misstates what the goal of these products might be. I realize it's a technological heavy lift, but assuming it was possible, a continuous monitor of blood glucose levels would actually be useful for a diabetic and might just keep them out of the ICU. It would also be a hell of a lot more convenient and less costly than the monitoring devices they use today. Also, people who report heart arrhythmias to their physicians are often fitted with bulky and expensive medical equipment to wear for a day or more. If some of the same functions could be taken over by a consumer device that provides the data instantly to both the patient and the doctor, I can see where that might be useful medically.

None of this seems even remotely desperate to me. In fact, it sounds rather promising.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Perhaps, but I think this misstates what the goal of these products might be. I realize it's a technological heavy lift, but assuming it was possible, a continuous monitor of blood glucose levels would actually be useful for a diabetic and might just keep them out of the ICU. It would also be a hell of a lot more convenient and less costly than the monitoring devices they use today. Also, people who report heart arrhythmias to their physicians are often fitted with bulky and expensive medical equipment to wear for a day or more. If some of the same functions could be taken over by a consumer device that provides the data instantly to both the patient and the doctor, I can see where that might be useful medically.

None of this seems even remotely desperate to me. In fact, it sounds rather promising.

Non invasive glucose monitoring for diabetics would be great and there is a huge market for that with 300+ million diabetics in the world. But from what I have read, that tech is still at least a few years away. There is actually a user here who works for a firm that is involved with that in Europe.

ManifoldSky

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2009
You cannot measure blood pressure from the ear. Period. In order to measure blood pressure extravascularly, one needs to physical occlude an artery which, by the way, humans do not have one available to occlude in the external ear canal. Technology certain may evolve quickly, producing things we never thought were possible, but the human body does not. So, sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Here's an idea: How about you restrict yourself to posting on subjects you know something about? Hint: that does not include, apparently, technology, biology, or engineering. It most certainly IS possible to measure pressure without physically occluding an artery, and, in fact, can be done with no physical contact whatsoever. It has been known for years that using a LASER, one can generate so-called secondary speckle patterns on the skin, and by using a laser Doppler vibrometer, determine heart rate, blood pressure, even solute concentration, for measuring such quantities as blood glucose and VO2. This can even be dons a substantial distance from the subject, It is most certainly possible to do so from a device in direct contact with the ear.

----------

Nonsense, for several medical reasons.
Not least of which is you can't measure blood pressure in your ear.

Nonsense, for several technical and biological reasons, not least of which being, yes, you most certainly can measure blood pressure from the ear.

Verita

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2011
Atlanta/London
Let's be serious here. This secret rumor is a joke on many levels...

First of all, Apple is going to get rid of headphone ports on iPhones, so that all third party devices that use it don't work? This includes Square readers and others.

Second, as mentioned many times, people need to charge phone while simultaneously listening to music or wearing headphones for conference calls. Headphone jacks are thin enough, and they do have the option to expand the number of connections within the port, increasing data flow.

Third of all, what sort of device that only measures your heart rate when your headphones are in would truly meet the need of fitness aficionados? What about when you're riding a bike and it's not safe to have your headphones in? The only thing that will be measuring heart rates or blood pressure is an iWatch, because among other reasons, it's directly touching an artery.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Here's an idea: How about you restrict yourself to posting on subjects you know something about? Hint: that does not include, apparently, technology, biology, or engineering. It most certainly IS possible to measure pressure without physically occluding an artery, and, in fact, can be done with no physical contact whatsoever. It has been known for years that using a LASER, one can generate so-called secondary speckle patterns on the skin, and by using a laser Doppler vibrometer, determine heart rate, blood pressure, even solute concentration, for measuring such quantities as blood glucose and VO2. This can even be dons a substantial distance from the subject, It is most certainly possible to do so from a device in direct contact with the ear.

----------

Nonsense, for several technical and biological reasons, not least of which being, yes, you most certainly can measure blood pressure from the ear.

Why don't they use this method in the medical field?

Verita

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2011
Atlanta/London

----------

I understand it has been possible for a while, but do you think Apple will be including lasers in their upcoming EarPods?? This is not a cheap technology, nor is it reasonable for a device as small as a pair of headphones.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Non invasive glucose monitoring for diabetics would be great and there is a huge market for that with 300+ million diabetics in the world. But from what I have read, that tech is still at least a few years away. There is actually a user here who works for a firm that is involved with that in Europe.

Funny, but we were just told in this thread that measuring blood pressure at the ear is impossible. Within moments MR posts the article about Apple's new MIT hire who has been working on that very thing. Much of this may well be years off, but it isn't impossible. Health and medical technology is in its infancy today, and I feel we are seeing the clear message that Apple wants to be part of its forward development. The big picture is, it isn't about watches or EarPods.

Jayse

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Basically listing important info from the reddit thread, located here: http://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/24fuj2/disgruntled_exapple_employee_leaks_details_about/

Reddit user wherewuz stated:
Not sure where folks are getting "ex-Apple" from. He pretty clearly insinuates he's a former Nike engineer, which gives this rumor, in my opinion, a lot more validity.
It's in the comments. The poster says that he or she felt "manipulated", and when asked to explain what he or she meant, the OP writes

"It would give me away. But I'm not the only person who got sent home for good last week."

Two posts down, someone posts "Swoosh :(" and the OP responds:

"No more questions please. I don't want to get myself or someone else in trouble."

The Nike FuelBand team was fired (presumably "for good") last week.

Reddit user ypsm stated:
I came here to say the same thing: pulse, temperature, and oxygen saturation are all potentially possible for something you stick in your ear, but not blood pressure.

Well, unless the earbud periodically inflates and occludes the ear canal, gradually deflating again.

Relatedly, the patent link posted elsewhere in these comments doesn't mention blood pressure, though it does mention the other vital signs I listed above.

nikaru

macrumors 65816
Apr 23, 2009

IWatch will be much more than a health tracker im sure. Apple will never focus a product that important just for a small group of people. Its suposed to do everyday task that most people do easier and in more elegant form. Headphones with health sensors? Maybe. But apple has that patent for 7 years now and they havent released a product because they know the downsides. If they finally release that product, im sure that these downsides wont exist anymore. Can Apple help mankind to care more about their health and provide them with the tools to prevent sickness? Why not? It may be a revolution, who knows...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.