Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nashish

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2009
Charlotte, NC
Hello everyone,

I have a problem: when I restart my Early 2008 MacBook Pro there is no "chime" and the screen remains black. The keyboard doesn't light up or respond to any input, and worse still, the "lid button" light on the front of the notebook remains illuminated, it doesn't blink, it just stays on, shining in my face. I loaded a CD into the optical drive to see if I could use the keyboard to eject it, but this test failed. Now, when I turn on my MBP, I hear the optical drive spinning and the quiet whirr of the fan inside.

I looked on Apple's support website about what to do when a Mac refuses to boot. I tried all of the methods they listed, but since my Mac doesn't respond to keyboard input, all of the techniques failed. Having exhausted everything I could think of, I decided to post here hoping someone could suggest something. I was just on the verge of completing my portfolio website and I would like to salvage my data at least. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

nashish

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2009
Charlotte, NC
Lastly, here are the specs on my Mac, just in case someone needs them:

Early 2008 MacBook Pro

2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB OWC RAM (2 GB Stock RAM Originally)
GeForce 8600M GT 256 MB RAM
200 GB Hard Disk
Mac OS X 10.6.2

ultraxiv

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2007
Do you have your original 2GB of RAM? Replace your OWC RAM with your original stuff to see if that's the problem. I highly doubt your data is lost, as the computer doesn't even start up to the point where it's using your hard drive.

If it still doesn't respond using the old RAM, the problem is most likely with your main logic board. Bring it to an Apple Store or an Apple Authorized Service Provider, or call AppleCare to set up a repair.

arungoebells

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2010
Sounds like a logic board or if you are lucky a HD problem.

The exact same thing happened to me and I have the exact same laptop. Was quoted at the apple store to pay £520 plus for repair which would only be protected for 3 months.

Basically Apple have made it mandatory that you should purchase Apple Care if you buy their products nowadays.

The early 2008 macbook pros are notorious for failing in a number of ways, I personally had a dead battery and charger within the first 6 months.

The only thing that made me stick with the repair was the fact that Mac OS feels so uncluttered compared to windows.

nashish

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2009
Charlotte, NC
Do you have your original 2GB of RAM? Replace your OWC RAM with your original stuff to see if that's the problem. I highly doubt your data is lost, as the computer doesn't even start up to the point where it's using your hard drive.

If it still doesn't respond using the old RAM, the problem is most likely with your main logic board. Bring it to an Apple Store or an Apple Authorized Service Provider, or call AppleCare to set up a repair.

I do have the original RAM and I'll try to replace it to see if that fixes the problem. If that doesn't fix the issue then I know my logic board is dead and am in the same boat arungoebells was in.

Thanks a lot for your feedback, my friends!

nashish

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2009
Charlotte, NC
Alright, I replaced my OWC RAM with the Stock RAM that came with my MacBook Pro and it still wouldn't boot up. I guess that means my logic board is dead... Ah well, c'est la vie. I want to try and get a newer MacBook Pro soon. Are those less likely to break like this?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Odds are that the GPU has failed and the logic board will need replacement. The good news is that Apple is replacing them free for 3 years from purchase. Search the forum for 8600M or similar topics to find info. There is also a document on Apple's website about it: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377

nashish

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2009
Charlotte, NC

Thank you; I gave that a try and it didn't work, unfortunately... :/

Odds are that the GPU has failed and the logic board will need replacement. The good news is that Apple is replacing them free for 3 years from purchase. Search the forum for 8600M or similar topics to find info. There is also a document on Apple's website about it: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377

Thank you as well! I'll take Apple up on their offer: I just made an appointment for this Saturday. Do you think they will repair just my graphics card or the logic board too? I think they might both be broken... I'm afraid they'll fix both and charge me for the logic board, a 700 dollar part.

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
Do you think they will repair just my graphics card or the logic board too? I think they might both be broken...

The graphics card is not removable from the logic board, so "repairing the graphics card" = "replacing the logic board." (Which is exactly what they'll do under the 3-year replacement program.)

nashish

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2009
Charlotte, NC
The graphics card is not removable from the logic board, so "repairing the graphics card" = "replacing the logic board." (Which is exactly what they'll do under the 3-year replacement program.)

Awesome; that is so exciting because I have no money to pay for repairs! I'll take my computer in on Saturday and see what happens. Thanks so much, my friend, and everyone else whose posted here.

prithivi

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2014
Awesome; that is so exciting because I have no money to pay for repairs! I'll take my computer in on Saturday and see what happens. Thanks so much, my friend, and everyone else whose posted here.

Nashish I have the same problem with my mac book. Could you please update me what happened after taken to Apple store? Thanks!

bigeasy_uk

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2005
Leamington Spa, England
Nashish I have the same problem with my mac book. Could you please update me what happened after taken to Apple store? Thanks!

I don't think you're gonna get a answer, he hasn't been back since the post you quoted. It's probably your logic board too, you could take it to an apple store and see if apple will change it for free, sometimes they are nice like that, especially if it's a known defective model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.