Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

keithteamzissou

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2013
Do you think apple will still carry the current thunderbolt monitor after the next refresh? How much do you think they would run refurbished?

I would love to get a dual display going for my rmbp

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
If Apple releases ATD2, I would think they would stop selling ATD. You might see them on clearance sale as some dealers.

On the refurb site you can still see the non-TB Cinema Display. So Apple might continue with refurbed version a short while after any ATD2 is released.

It is always hard to guess what Apple will do. Maybe we know more in one month at WWDC.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/displays

AFPBoy

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2011
If Apple releases ATD2, I would think they would stop selling ATD. You might see them on clearance sale as some dealers.

The OP may be asking, and if not I will :D, after an update will "retina"/4K and 2560x1440 ATDs be available?

My guess would be it depends on what Apple has done in the past. I can't find timeline information on Wikipedia, but has Apple had multiple display models for sale at the same time in the past?

--AFPBoy

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Apple has been making the push to get everyone onto newer all solid state laptops with TB or TB2 ports, and releasing 10..9.3 so rMBPs can do 4K at 60Hz. So it is reasonable that they would also be pushing folks to purchase any new ATD2 on rMBPs and Mac Pros.

I can see them only doing repair/return/refurb on Cinema and ATD1 displays.

Last edited:

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Do you think apple will still carry the current thunderbolt monitor after the next refresh?

If the hypothetical new ATD is 4k or Retina then it will probably require Thunderbolt 2 in order to get DisplayPort 1.2 support (the current ATD uses DisplayPort internally).

Hence, I'd expect the old ATD to remain available as long as Apple are still selling machines that don't have Thunderbolt 2 and/or 4k-capable GPUs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.