Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple yesterday posted a job listing for a "Buzz Marketing Manager" based out of New York (via Dwight Silverman and Business Insider), with the description outlining a position responsible for managing such areas as product placement in film and television and fostering relationships with "high-profile influencers" to promote the Apple brand.
- Product placement in film & television. Work with the creative side of film & TV to place Apple products. This includes getting necessary approvals, managing and trafficking product inventory, following up with studios, and monitoring media for successful placements.

- Build and maintain relationships with high-profile influencers. Influential Apple users could be directors, actors, artists, athletes, designers and select brands or institutions. Determine which relationships have potential to maximize benefit to Apple.

- Leverage relationships to book events at Apple Store Soho. Collaborate with Apple Retail, PR and iTunes to ensure maximum positive outcome for the effort. Produce a podcast for each event into iTunes and maximize the promotional value of the content through PR efforts and partner channels.
Apple describes the role as new and reporting to the head of worldwide Buzz Marketing, suggesting that Apple is expanding its efforts in the area.

Buzz marketing has been receiving significant attention recently, in large part due to Samsung's aggressive efforts in the area led by the "Oscar selfie" posted by Ellen Degeneres. The stunt, which became the most retweeted Tweet in history, was quickly revealed to have been coordinated by Samsung, which was a promotional sponsor

modern_family_ipad-800x451.jpg
Modern Family's "Game Changer" episode with iPad promotional tie-in
Apple's Buzz Marketing program has been in place for two decades, however, having been developed and led by longtime Apple employee Suzanne Lindbergh until her departure for Jawbone last October. On her LinkedIn profile, Lindbergh highlights her role in helping produce over 1,500 events for Apple's in-store Meet the Filmmaker/Actor series, as well as her work on Apple's original "Hello" teaser ad for the iPhone and a promotional tie-in for an episode of Modern Family days before the launch of the original iPad.

Article Link: Apple Expanding 'Buzz Marketing' Team Focused on Product Placement

zipur

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2011
The great state of Texas
Heck most Samsung phones look like "I"devices anyway. Even your example could be a Samsung to the uninformed eye. Would that money be better spent Getting Your Product Out! I been waiting for months of the new IPAD. I am still hoping/waiting for an updated MBP 17inch. (I know not gonna happen)

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
So Apple has a job opening within a team that's existed for two decades and Business Insider (and now MacRumors) thinks this is newsworthy for what reason exactly (yes I know that is a rhetorical question ;))?

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
That Modern Family episode was very good.

Even Big Bang Theory's Siri episode was funny.

Strategic and tasteful placement of Apple's products in TV/Film is definitely welcome.

polterbyte

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
Brazil
The Buzz Team does a much better (and by that I mean classier) job than the competition.

For instance, Microsoft's effort putting Windows logos on the back of laptops is quite pitiful.

blips

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2009
It is great to see all the MacBooks in shows with the logo covered up. You can tell it is an Apple product even without seeing the Apple.

imageWIS

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
NYC
Yes, because if Apple didn't place products in TV shows no one would know that they exist. :rolleyes:

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
I always thought it was the opposite. Thought TV shows reached out to companies like Apple for extra money as a sponsor.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
So Apple has a job opening within a team that's existed for two decades and Business Insider (and now MacRumors) thinks this is newsworthy for what reason exactly (yes I know that is a rhetorical question ;))?

Slow news day?

----------

It is great to see all the MacBooks in shows with the logo covered up. You can tell it is an Apple product even without seeing the Apple.

Doesn't this go against many here who say that every other company is ripping off Apple's design and making their notebooks exact "duplicates" ? ;)

ArchAndroid

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2012
London, England
That Modern Family episode was very good.

Even Big Bang Theory's Siri episode was funny.

Strategic and tasteful placement of Apple's products in TV/Film is definitely welcome.

I loved that episode of Modern Family! The Big Bang Theory one was kind of creepy though - a dependant (loving) relationship with a phone accessory is a bit much.

However, the king of tasteful Apple product placement has to be Pixar with Toy Story, Wall-E and others.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
The Big Bang Theory one was kind of creepy though - a dependant (loving) relationship with a phone accessory is a bit much.

I love that this comment was posted on this forum - where there are at least a good handful (if not more) people who I can see not only match - but exceed "Raj's" love for Siri - let alone the iPhone/Apple in general...

MVallee

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2007
Ontario, Canada
You see Apple products in TV shows and movies a lot but I've noticed recently Samsung and Microsoft are getting more prevalent. There have been some blatantly heavy handed placements for the Microsoft surface in some shows like "Arrow" that made me roll my eyes.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
I thought Apple has no problem with product placement, almost all tv shows or movies I saw must be using Apple gear.

rsamo

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2005
I've always wondered why I see so many shoes with Apple devices where the logo is covered up. Anyone know why this is?

peterh988

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2011
I've often wondered how this works, it seems from watching TV that every government department uses iMacs, and I assumed that was because the had a deal with Apple to provide computers for a mutually beneficial deal.

Lately I've been noticing the Apple logo being covered up, fine if they've bought the machines, but if Apple are lending them props and they're covering the logo, (very badly in one case, with a wrinkled strip of gaffer tape) I can't see Apple being too happy about the return on that deal.

If it were me, I'd be saying "I'll lend you the stuff if you show the logo....." but then I'm not a TV executive or head of Apple, so what do I know!

crsh1976

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2011
I thought Apple has no problem with product placement, almost all tv shows or movies I saw must be using Apple gear.

Uh, that stuff doesn't "just happens", it's all product placement/stealth advertising.. Apple pays for that, too.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Since when is paid (or donated) product placement and manufactured social media blasts "buzz" marketing. Seems a bit crass to call it "buzz" marketing. The origins of that term was that it was truly "grassroots" viral. I realize all companies have "plants" in social media and obviously TV shows and movies. Nothing new. But to call it "buzz" seems disengenious, even a lie . Sure it might get people talking ("buzz") but by that token so does a well done (or spectacularly awful) SuperBowl ad. True buzz should be organic not pre-assembled. That's the difference between the two.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Have you watched House of Cards?

I haven't but if it beats seeing lots of MacBooks being used by the writers. The Main guy Jack working on an iMac and pretty much all the cast using iPhones.

There was an episode where the two Actors, Jenna and Tracey recieving MacBook Airs and iPhones as gifts.

Tracey talking to Siri.

And to top it off they did a Faux Steve Jobs Presentation in a episode.

It also says in the credits "Furnished by Apple" lol

Last edited:

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Since when is paid (or donated) product placement and manufactured social media blasts "buzz" marketing. Seems a bit crass to call it "buzz" marketing. The origins of that term was that it was truly "grassroots" viral. I realize all companies have "plants" in social media and obviously TV shows and movies. Nothing new. But to call it "buzz" seems disengenious, even a lie . Sure it might get people talking ("buzz") but by that token so does a well done (or spectacularly awful) SuperBowl ad. True buzz should be organic not pre-assembled. That's the difference between the two.

Remember when things just happened to go viral instead of being "planned" viral activities. Pretty much kills the definition.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009

Easy solution. Host your own blog site and post the news you feel worthy.

Good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.