Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1iam5mith

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2013
UK
I have a late 2012 Mac mini i7 2.3ghz with fusion drive and 16GB ram.

I play Minecraft a lot. It runs at 60FPS smoothly, with graphics set to fast and rendering 100 chunks. But every once in a while its fan kicks in and sounds like it is going to take off. The temperature goes right up to around 69-70ºC. With CPU temp rising to 97ºC. And sounding like a plane trying to take off.
And with no other applications running.

Can this cause any longterm damage? I know as this only has integrated graphics it isn't meant for gaming. But I do not want to be shortening the life of the machine more than in normal use because of this.

Thanks in advance :)

SoCalReviews

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2012
Can this cause any longterm damage? I know as this only has integrated graphics it isn't meant for gaming. But I do not want to be shortening the life of the machine more than in normal use because of this.

...Probably not. If your Mini was purchased less than a year ago and you're worried about wear and tear from heavy usage from gaming just add an extended Apple Care warranty which you can find discounted online for around $100 USD. Just hold onto your original RAM and HDD.

Last edited:

Yahooligan

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2011
Illinois
No damage, that's normal operation since there is only a single fan and the hardware is in a small, confined space. The fan will kick in to high speed under heavy load in order to keep the temps under control, no need to worry about whether it's causing damage or not. It will shut off automatically if it overheats.

Enjoy the Mini! :)

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Theoratically no, but using macs for gaming always make me cringe.

As a gamer you should get a gaming-pc or a console.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I have a late 2012 Mac mini i7 2.3ghz with fusion drive and 16GB ram.

I play Minecraft a lot. It runs at 60FPS smoothly, with graphics set to fast and rendering 100 chunks. But every once in a while its fan kicks in and sounds like it is going to take off. The temperature goes right up to around 69-70ºC. With CPU temp rising to 97ºC. And sounding like a plane trying to take off.
And with no other applications running.

No, your Mac is operating normally. If you're not already doing so, use iStat Pro (free) or iStat Menus ($16) to get accurate readings of your temps, fan speeds, etc., rather than relying on your sense of touch or sound. A forum member has posted a copy of iStat Pro that has been "tweaked" to enhance compatibility with Mountain Lion. You can download it here.
The Intel processors used in Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat. CPU Tjmax = 105C (221F), GPU Tjmax = 100C (212F) on i3, i5, i7 processors. (Source: Intel)
Unless there is a rare defect in a Mac, most temps are well within the normal operating range, considering the workload being put on it. Websites with Flash content, games and other multimedia apps will put higher demand on the CPU/GPU, generating more heat. This is normal. If you're constantly putting high demands on your system, such as gaming or other multimedia tasks, expect temps to rise and fans to spin up accordingly. It's just your Mac doing its job to maintain temps within the normal range.
It is also quite normal for your Mac to become extremely hot to the touch during intensive operations. The aluminum body transfers heat more effectively than other materials used in computer casings, so you will feel the heat more. This doesn't indicate that it's overheating and will not harm the computer to be hot to the touch.
The bottom of your Mac notebook may become very warm during normal use. If your notebook is on your lap and gets uncomfortably warm, move it to a stable work surface that allows for good ventilation.
Your fans are always on when your Mac is on, spinning at a minimum of 2000 rpm (for MBPs) or 1800 rpm (for MBAs, MBs and minis), or 1200 for the newest MBAs. Older iMacs have 3 fans with minimum speeds in the 800-1200 range, while the newest iMacs have a single fan, spinning at a minimum of about 1400 rpm. They will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level. If your fans are spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC. (PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with these issues, so resetting it will not help.)
The intake and exhaust vents are in the back of the computer near the hinge on all notebooks in the MacBook line (except the new MBP with retina display, which has intake vents along the sides at the bottom). The iMac vent is a slot on the back near the top of the computer. Make sure the vents remain unblocked to allow your computer to perform at its best. For Flash-related issues:

comatory

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2012
Also consider that Minecraft is written in Java... not really an effective language for getting high performance. Plus it's OS X version of Java..

cyber16

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2013
Just get yourself a spare cooling fan to have on hand in case the one inside gives out due to the overuse, that is if you have no apple care.
This way 15 minutes down time is all you are looking at.
Good idea at that time also to re do the heatsink paste

andychelt

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2011
Theoratically no, but using macs for gaming always make me cringe.

As a gamer you should get a gaming-pc or a console.

Comments like yours make me cringe.....don't tell me what I should or shouldn't buy.

I enjoy playing games and am just fine with my 2011 i5 Mac Mini. It handles CSS, HL2, TF2, Black Ops and BF3 just fine thankyou very much!

As long as you understand the limitations there is absolutely no reason why you can't game with a mac!

And with regards to the op, I wouldn't worry. You want to try using handbrake, that cranks the mini up to those temps/fan speeds for hours at a time!!

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Comments like yours make me cringe.....don't tell me what I should or shouldn't buy.
And with regards to the op, I wouldn't worry. You want to try using handbrake, that cranks the mini up to those temps/fan speeds for hours at a time!!
Lots of cringing going on around here ...:D

Advising people what they should or should not buy is sorta the whole point of a forum like this. :)
That said of course you can play games on a mac mini, but there are machines better suited for it.

Yahooligan

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2011
Illinois
Advising people what they should or should not buy is sorta the whole point of a forum like this. :)
That said of course you can play games on a mac mini, but there are machines better suited for it.

Except nobody asked what to buy. ;) You're kind of crapping on a choice the OP already made and telling them to spend more money on something else because you don't agree with how they're using the Mini.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Except nobody asked what to buy. ;) You're kind of crapping on a choice the OP already made and telling them to spend more money on something else because you don't agree with how they're using the Mini.
I am suggesting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.