Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
If safe mode is what i think it is, disabling all tweaks and pretty much a stock ios, would my phone get better battery life if i kept it in safe mode for when im not using it?

HankHowdy

macrumors 68040
Dec 2, 2012
Victorville CA
If safe mode is what i think it is, disabling all tweaks and pretty much a stock ios, would my phone get better battery life if i kept it in safe mode for when im not using it?

If you don't have any bad tweaks, then the decrease in battery life is not even noticeable.

There's really no need to do this.

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
Im going to try this out tomorrow at work, i usually lose 10-15% an hour from maybe sending 2-3 texts.

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
One or more of your installed tweaks is causing the bad drain...

activator
aura
auxo 2
badge customizer
bigify
biteSMS
blora
cloaky
dockshift
f.lux (i know causes some drain but is worth it)
flip control center
folder closer
icleaner
iconoclasm
ifile
inifidock
lockpages
noslowanimations
pandora downloader
phantom for snapchat
signal booster
sms stats 2
soft remix for iOS 7
software update killer
swipe selection
unauthorized lighting cable allowed
virtual home (again some battery drain but worth it)
winterboard
zeppelin

Samanosuke

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2013
Activator causes a minimal drain but the recent beta does cause drain, f.lux's battery drain is negligible, icleaner, ifile, swipe selection, software update killer, no slow animations, lock pages, and dockshift all play nicely together, as I have them installed and watch them. Virtual homes drain was too much for me, so I removed it, but otherwise, the rest of your tweaks I don't know about. I removed folder closer because it kept crashing with multitasking gestures.

Syndicate0017

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2013
Software update killer isn't even necessary anymore is it? Evasi0n blocks the update by default. One of your tweaks is probably just not playing nice with another one. Happens from time to time. Tweak developers can't keep up with all the new tweaks coming out.

alkalifly

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2004
signal booster

I admit, I only glanced at your list, but the "signal booster" tweak jumped out at me as a likely culprit. Considering the tweak description is "Signal Booster works by injecting a considerable and sufficient amount of power to the phone’s radio" that would definitely be the first one I would remove if I were in your position

Activator causes a minimal drain but the recent beta does cause drain

Interesting, I haven't noticed any drain with the most recent Activator beta (from rpetri.ch repo), in fact, I was just remarking to myself yesterday how surprisingly long my battery seems to be lasting considering the large number of tweaks I have going.

It seems that Activator is often invoked as a potential power drain; I wonder if it has more to do with how Activator is set up, what gestures it is listening for, etc.?

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
I admit, I only glanced at your list, but the "signal booster" tweak jumped out at me as a likely culprit. Considering the tweak description is "Signal Booster works by injecting a considerable and sufficient amount of power to the phone’s radio" that would definitely be the first one I would remove if I were in your position

Interesting, I haven't noticed any drain with the most recent Activator beta (from rpetri.ch repo), in fact, I was just remarking to myself yesterday how surprisingly long my battery seems to be lasting considering the large number of tweaks I have going.

It seems that Activator is often invoked as a potential power drain; I wonder if it has more to do with how Activator is set up, what gestures it is listening for, etc.?

from my understanding, all signal booster does is turn on airplane mode and then turn it off. that rechecks for better cell towers for you to connect to

alkalifly

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2004
from my understanding, all signal booster does is turn on airplane mode and then turn it off. that rechecks for better cell towers for you to connect to

Gotcha, that makes sense. I didn't even know of this tweak before, and was intrigued, so I searched for it and the first result google gave me was http://www.innov8tiv.com/signal-boo...enhance-iphones-carrier-wifi-signal-strength/ which contained the description I quoted above (about "injecting power" into the phones radio).

So, now understanding better what it does, does that mean that if I'm getting a poor signal, that toggling airplane mode on and off might end up improving my signal if there is a better tower to connect to?

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Gotcha, that makes sense. I didn't even know of this tweak before, and was intrigued, so I searched for it and the first result google gave me was http://www.innov8tiv.com/signal-boo...enhance-iphones-carrier-wifi-signal-strength/ which contained the description I quoted above (about "injecting power" into the phones radio).

So, now understanding better what it does, does that mean that if I'm getting a poor signal, that toggling airplane mode on and off might end up improving my signal if there is a better tower to connect to?

Possibly

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.