Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
My Main Headphones, Bowers and Wilkins P7. The sound of these beats anything I've listened to before. I also have Bose QC15, Apple IEM's, EarPods and Bose MIE2i, but I don't use those as much as the B&W's

Great choice which I can only applaud. Wonderful to see that someone else appreciates some truly beautifully crafted headphones which offer superb sound as well as great good looks. I love the B&W range.

Actually, I also have the P7s, and find them excellent, although it took me a short while to break them in; I also have the P5s which are easily the best headphones I have ever owned, as I travel a lot and the P5s live in my briefcase much of the time, offering both superb audio quality and terrific portability.

Macdude2010

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2010
The Apple Store
Great choice which I can only applaud. Wonderful to see that someone else appreciates some truly beautifully crafted headphones which offer superb sound as well as great good looks. I love the B&W range.

Actually, I also have the P7s, and find them excellent, although it took me a short while to break them in; I also have the P5s which are easily the best headphones I have ever owned, as I travel a lot and the P5s live in my briefcase much of the time, offering both superb audio quality and terrific portability.

Thank you, I did a lot of research before buying these about a month ago, and as you point out, not only do they sound amazing, they also look amazing as well. On par with the fit and finish apple has with their products. I am only 15, but I want to study industrial design/electrical engineering in college, these types of things I like to study for their form and function, for instance, the fact that the removable headphone cord is inside the magnetic ear cups is genius, you can't see it. Simplicity is beautiful.

richwoodrocket

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2014
Buffalo, NY
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399148491.841917.jpg
Left: Pioneer steez 808 dj headphones.
Middle: Howard leight sync headphones(for mowing the lawn)
Right: Apple EarPods(times 2)
I love the pioneer headphones, those are what I usually use at home. I use the EarPods when I'm riding my bike. I use the Howard leight sync headphones when I'm mowing the lawn so I can listen to my tunes and have hearing protection.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Thank you, I did a lot of research before buying these about a month ago, and as you point out, not only do they sound amazing, they also look amazing as well. On par with the fit and finish apple has with their products. I am only 15, but I want to study industrial design/electrical engineering in college, these types of things I like to study for their form and function, for instance, the fact that the removable headphone cord is inside the magnetic ear cups is genius, you can't see it. Simplicity is beautiful.

Agree completely re the fusion of form & function in the design of the B&W products; these are sturdy, and beautifully built from materials such as metal and genuine leather. They are also extremely stylish, exceptionally comfortable to wear for prolonged periods of time, and offer a great audio sound.

Apart from the elegance, size (portability), style, and audio sound, the real issue for me is the issue of comfort: I had tried out a great numb of headphones over the years, some of which were very good, but nothing touches the B&W for portability, comfort, style and quality of audio delivery.

Just this week, I also bought some of their speakers: A pair of B&W MM1s for my computer, and the legendary B&W Zeppelin speaker for my iPods.

Well done you, at 15 valuing design/functional engineering, recognising good design and wishing to learn more about it and add to it. I wish you the very best of luck with it, & I think it is a terrific idea - and is an admirable and wonderfully interesting dream.

To my mind, not only is good design that wonderful fusion of form and function, but I think some of the very best design comes from mastery of the 'small things'. Any ruler, king, emperor, or president can commission top architects, artists, engineers, designers, to craft and create and command a labour force and enjoy access to the state treasury in order to build impressive representational buildings which demonstrate his (usually his) importance and reflect his taste and ego. Some of these are magnificent, and superbly executed but are not necessarily representative of anything save a symbolic expression of the state's might, power, and importance.

However, to my mind, only truly culturally advanced (and relatively egalitarian) societies seem to have realised that the real signifier is when care and attention and resources are devoted to good design (fusion of form & function) to the sort of everyday things used in daily life - things such as coffee pots, cups, knives & forks, tiles, roads, audio sound systems, public water systems, and so on.

TobbeT

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2010
Sennheiser HD800/HDVD800/CH800S

gNEuadO.jpg

My Sennheiser HD800 with CH800S balanced cable and HDVD800 amp/dac in the background. I also have a pair of Grado PS500 that I use sometimes.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
A lovely collection of high end audio headphones. Excellent stuff - how do you find each of them re the others?

I'd have to say my Sennhieser HD600's are my all round favourite but the B&W P7's are a close second. The 600's are amazingly comfortable. Love em all! I tried the Sennhieser Momentums and they sounded as good as but just didn't fit over my ears.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I'd have to say my Sennhieser HD600's are my all round favourite but the B&W P7's are a close second. The 600's are amazingly comfortable. Love em all! I tried the Sennhieser Momentums and they sounded as good as but just didn't fit over my ears.

Well, as I have already posted elsewhere (and, indeed here, also), I am a huge fan of the B&W headphones; I have the P5s and P7s and love them both - simply superb, and easily the best headphones I have ever had.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
I agree with you. I first got the P5's on an Amazon lightening deal then after the Momentums not fitting properly (I tried them twice) I bought the P7's. Superb!

----------

Have you tried the C5's?

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
My Sennheiser HD800 with CH800S balanced cable and HDVD800 amp/dac in the background. I also have a pair of Grado PS500 that I use sometimes.

Nice!! Been eyeing that Senn amp/dac for a decent price... just can't justify $2000... but damn, I'm jealous :p

Back to my lowly HD 650s and E17 !!

TobbeT

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2010
Nice!! Been eyeing that Senn amp/dac for a decent price... just can't justify $2000... but damn, I'm jealous :p

Back to my lowly HD 650s and E17 !!

Yeah the price is kind of steep but this is really my end-game setup so I'm hoping to enjoy this for a very long time. The 650s produce really good sound too with some amplification:D

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I agree with you. I first got the P5's on an Amazon lightening deal then after the Momentums not fitting properly (I tried them twice) I bought the P7's. Superb!

----------

Have you tried the C5's?

Actually, I have bought them, but haven't yet tried them out. They are still in their box; I'll take a look at (and listen to) them this evening.

In general, I have never found 'in-ear' headphones to be anywhere as comfortable as the 'on-ear' or 'over-ear' varieties. Moreover, the sound quality of many of the in-ear headphones on offer was usually sadly lacking, too, hence, my decision to buy a really good pair of 'in-ear' headphones when I bought the C5s. I appreciate that some other brands have produced extremely good products, and obviously, their size makes them exceedingly portable.

The drawback with the 'over-ear' or 'on-ear' headphones often tended to be size, in that they were not really all that portable, a deficiency which was solved by the P5s, which are superb but discreet.

How do you find the C5s?

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Actually, I have bought them, but haven't yet tried them out. They are still in their box; I'll take a look at (and listen to) them this evening.

In general, I have never found 'in-ear' headphones to be anywhere as comfortable as the 'on-ear' or 'over-ear' varieties. Moreover, the sound quality of many of the in-ear headphones on offer was usually sadly lacking, too, hence, my decision to buy a really good pair of 'in-ear' headphones when I bought the C5s. I appreciate that some other brands have produced extremely good products, and obviously, their size makes them exceedingly portable.

The drawback with the 'over-ear' or 'on-ear' headphones often tended to be size, in that they were not really all that portable, a deficiency which was solved by the P5s, which are superb but discreet.

How do you find the C5s?

I haven't got the C5's. I've read reports of people having issues with the cable and them not fitting properly. I've had them in my basket on Amazon for ages but not bought (yet).

bobfitz14

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2008
Massachusetts
Neither pictures are mine.

1. Harman Kardon BT headphones. Love the sound but they're kind of uncomfortable so I can't wear them for more than a half hour at a time. Nor do I wear them when I have my glasses on, they pinch at my temple a bit. I actually bent one of the metal headbands to make it fit better and it helped.
2.jpg

2. Ultimate Ears 600vi. Infatuated with these. I beat the crap out of these through daily wear and tear and after a year the cable is just starting to deteriorate. I had Klipsch S4i's and the cable lasted about 6 months before it started to fall apart.
ue-600vi-cover-1.jpg

I'm debating the UE 900s as my replacements given the cable replacement ability and my overall satisfaction with the 600's.
71jeHpsWlNL._SL1500_.jpg

Anyone have any thoughts on the 900s or about UE build quality in general?

MBPiPTiMiP4S

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2012
If you guys had to chose Audio Technica M50s or Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250 OHM which would you purchase and why?

I would be using them with an iPod Classic 7th Generation and Fiio Andes-E07K.

Thanks!

bounou

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2012
Just got these last week and so far i love them, Parrot Zik's.

Attachments

• photo1 (1).jpg
    photo1 (1).jpg
    431.9 KB · Views: 112

mobilemesam

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2010
Bratislava
I have been thinking of getting these but when viewing reviews and stuff there has been some wonky support in both iOS and OS X, works for some and not for others, so yeah, do they work for you? I want to use them for both OS X and iOS, any issues for you?

Hmm, they works perfect with OS X and iOS (iPhone, iPad, iPod, MBA, iMac) everything works ok, the sound quality is perfect. Infinite life of the battery, i have them from 28. 4. and the battery is i think 80%.

RawBert

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2010
North Hollywood, CA
Thank God for eBay. It alerted me that these vintage headphones from the early 90’s were up for auction. I got them for only $30. I have a pair already but they need to be fixed/soldered. I loved these things as a teenager. Can't wait 'til they arrive. :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    547.3 KB · Views: 83

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
If you guys had to chose Audio Technica M50s or Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250 OHM which would you purchase and why?

I would be using them with an iPod Classic 7th Generation and Fiio Andes-E07K.

Thanks!

If you're always going to use that Fiio Amp, get the DT 770s... otherwise, the low impedance M50s are pretty darn good.

Also, the DT 770s are more comfortable for extended wear compared to the M50s..

Have you looked [ and considered ] the V-Moda M100 ?

AlabamaSlammer

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2012
Alabama
Please allow me to explain my headphones choices..

1. The apple EarPods are used at the gym

2. The street by 50 (now discontinued) were a gift about a year ago and i do use them at the gym also.

3. Ath-m50x I use for editing and general use around the house

4. Beats by Dre were also another gift

Attachments

• 51wl4frwN8L.jpg
    51wl4frwN8L.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 107
  • 61fIhpgBVoL._SL1500_.jpg
    61fIhpgBVoL._SL1500_.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 95
  • 81HXSFiBfsL._SL1500_.jpg
    81HXSFiBfsL._SL1500_.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 96
  • 71Hgw5UEEXL._SL1500_.jpg
    71Hgw5UEEXL._SL1500_.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 102

MBPiPTiMiP4S

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2012
If you're always going to use that Fiio Amp, get the DT 770s... otherwise, the low impedance M50s are pretty darn good.

Also, the DT 770s are more comfortable for extended wear compared to the M50s..

Have you looked [ and considered ] the V-Moda M100 ?

Yes I have looked at the M100, not my style. I'll stick to Beyerdynamic for now.

What would you pick between DT 770 250 OHMs vs. DT 990 250 OHMs and why?

phibe1

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2010
Yes I have looked at the M100, not my style. I'll stick to Beyerdynamic for now.

What would you pick between DT 770 250 OHMs vs. DT 990 250 OHMs and why?

DT990 are open headphones...

I personally went with the DT770s because I wanted closed headphones. I love them.

digglesworth

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2013
Thank God for eBay. It alerted me that these vintage headphones from the early 90’s were up for auction. I got them for only $30. I have a pair already but they need to be fixed/soldered. I loved these things as a teenager. Can't wait 'til they arrive. :)

I got 2 pair of these a few years back for free. I was so excited. I went home that night and resoldered them. Cherish those man. My only grips with them is that they aren't the most comfortable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.