Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

primal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Quebec, Canada
Hello everybody, my G4 466 mhz digital audio got fried a while back by a power surge that happens frequently out where i live. The other day i scored a G4 400 mhz agp at a garage sale for $15.. so i am glad to see there are some folks still playing with powerpc's:).. It turns out that the motherboard on the digital audio was fried.

So the AGP machine has os 10.4.11 with boot rom 3.3.4f1 and in the system profiler cpu reads 400mhz.. when i pop the 466 cpu in the machine, it is much faster but system profiler reads cpu 350mhz.

I thought it was the firmware but not sure it can be since the machine is running osX with no sign of classic on the harddrive... i suppose i can live with it since it is faster just curious as to why cpu 350mhz is happening.

cheers
Ken

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Your getting that strange speed because the Sawtooth/AGP has afbus speed of 100Mhz. While the Digital Audio's is 133Mhz. To correct that, you'll have to change the multipliers on the Digital Audio's G4 card. I'm not sure how to do it on an Apple OEM G4, but I'd imagine that it requires soldering.

primal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Quebec, Canada
Hey there, you are absolutely right it requires soldering, so i will leave well enough alone:).. it's nice just to have the old guy running again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.