Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

halccw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2014
I bought my first air 13" last month. It works awesomely and I really love it, but there is a little defect on the screen frame, so I called Apple to return it and get a new one.

Today I received a newly made one, so before Apple retrieves my old air (not really old, it has just been used for a week), now I have both machines. This is a terrific chance so I made detailed comparisons between them, and I found out something interesting.

These 2 MacBooks should be identical, but actually they aren't. First, the image qualities of 2 screens are slightly different. The old one is more saturated and more pleasing to my eye, while the new one is little pale. My guess is that the old one was calibrated and optimized more.

Then, the sounds of typing on both keyboards are not the same. There is a high frequency sound from touching keys of the new one. After I "opened" up the Command key of each machine, I found out that the underneath mechanism is also different. The old one has 1 curved metal bar for the key to attach on, while the new has 2. That explains why the sounds of typing are different.

While they both are well made machines, I am very curious about the differences. Is it usual? I start to wonder if my old one may be actually a refurbished one..

michaelsviews

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2007
New England
I bought my first air 13" last month. It works awesomely and I really love it, but there is a little defect on the screen frame, so I called Apple to return it and get a new one.

Today I received a newly made one, so before Apple retrieves my old air (not really old, it has just been used for a week), now I have both machines. This is a terrific chance so I made detailed comparisons between them, and I found out something interesting.

These 2 MacBooks should be identical, but actually they aren't. First, the image qualities of 2 screens are slightly different. The old one is more saturated and more pleasing to my eye, while the new one is little pale. My guess is that the old one was calibrated and optimized more.

Then, the sounds of typing on both keyboards are not the same. There is a high frequency sound from touching keys of the new one. After I "opened" up the Command key of each machine, I found out that the underneath mechanism is also different. The old one has 1 curved metal bar for the key to attach on, while the new has 2. That explains why the sounds of typing are different.

While they both are well made machines, I am very curious about the differences. Is it usual? I start to wonder if my old one may be actually a refurbished one..

Do some research on the serial number and see what come's up for production week.

From my experience in refurbished you cannot tell the difference between that and a new one.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^It's not the serial number, but the difference in manufacturer's of the components supplied to Apple. Did you happen to look at the link I posted?

Lou

WallToWallMacs

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2014
^^^^It's not the serial number, but the difference in manufacturer's of the components supplied to Apple. Did you happen to look at the link I posted?

Lou

The parts are delivered in batches and would have been used in the production at a particular point in time; for example - if the first one was assembled on x day and the second laptop was assembled three months later, then combined with more information you can conclude that it was something in a particular batch rather than something that randomly happened. I remember seeing a serial number parser that also was able to identify what factory it was assembled so you might be able to narrow it down to a certain time frame at a particular factory.

btw, use the quoting functioning so people actually know who you're replying to - those arrows pointing upwards are completely useless.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^Again, it's been well documented on this forum that the differences in Display qualities are tied to the Manufactures of the display, not the date of manufacture. And, yes, I know where and when both my Macs were made, but so what? I only know they were both late model builds. I know nothing of componentry from the build information. The OP can look in the System Information portion of About This Mac, and actually get some useful information on componentry.

btw, use the quoting functioning so people actually know who you're replying to - those arrows pointing upwards are completely useless.

Again we disagree, When I use arrows I am pointing upwards directly at the post I am actually responding too.

However, I've wasted enough time arguing with you, my work on this thread is done. Have a Good Day:p

Lou

michaelsviews

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2007
New England
Mello

There was a serial parser around a while back but I also remember that Apple and it's legal team went after the parties that were running or displaying the breakdown in full.

The link I posted shows the time frame the system was built. As for screen's / displays that apple use's that can be found out in either flow riders link "which I did not check out" or a search of this forum. Samsung & LG I believe are the main suppliers of the displays for the Air.

As for the rest of the comment's and opinion's life is to short.

Flowrider is a trip

vicynic

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2013
New Jersey
Internal components and parts are not guaranteed to be identical in brand or design other than advertised specs. This is accepted as normal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.