Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Calvento

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2014
Hey everyone,

Yesterday I was watching videos on my MacBook when it indicated that I needed to plug it in to a power source. I plugged it in and continued watching. About 5 minutes later it shut down. I was confused as I had just plugged it in, so I looked and it turns out the charger was not displaying the amber light (or the green light). The battery indicator button on the bottom of the computer showed low charge as the first light flashed quickly. I pressed and held the power button to try to get it to turn back on, but instead it went from sleep mode (slowly pulsing white front light) to completely off.

I've tried taking out the battery and just powering on while it's connected to the MagSafe charger, but that doesn't work, thought I've read the computer should turn on if connected to a power source even without the battery.

I'm almost positive it's not a charger issue as this charger is only a couple of months old. The battery is much older but I usually don't have problems with it as I leave it plugged in most of the time since it doesn't hold a charge for very long.

Can anyone help? I live in Spain and I'm not close to an apple store and I'm kind of freaking out.

Do you think the battery is the problem? Id easily order a new one but I'm concerned because the computer wont even turn on from direct AC power. thanks for any suggestions!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.