Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
I was about to start a similar thread over in the MacBook Pro section. Since I found this one, I'm hoping I can glom onto it and ask my question as well.

I'm torn between the new 13" MBA maxed out ($1750) versus a rMBP similarly configured, but with 16 gig instead of 8 ($2200). If memory was equal, there's only a $250 price difference between the two; both would have 512 gig SSDs, for example.

I already have a maxed out 2012 Mini as my "main" system (27" Thunderbolt display, 22" Dell display, 16 gig, SSD, ext 4 TB drive, etc). But I'm using my laptop more for work than I had been in the past, since I travel to the office once a week and have to work on the laptop. My 11" Air isn't cutting it anymore, both from a screen size/resolution standpoint and storage space. Not to mention I'd love the better battery life that the new Airs and Pros offer.

My main question, really, is this -- can the display on the Air be "scaled" in such a way that I get more than the equivalent of 1280x800? Does that make sense? The Retina part doesn't really concern me that much, but I'd like to be able to have more desktop space than the MBP offers. I don't want to zoom it ALL the way out to 2560x1600 because that'd be too small to read on a 13" display, so I'm wondering if there's anything in between. Otherwise I'll take the Air, since 1440x900 is a decent improvement over my 11"'s 1366x768.

Rob

Two things...

1.) Not sure what you mean by 1280x800. I run my rMBP at 1680x1050. 1440x900 is not bad. I have used my wife's MBA a few times and I thought it worked great.
2.) You never mentioned what you plan on doing with it. This may determine which one would be best for you.

acastic

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
You won't be able to play Tomb Raider 2013 on either the Intel Iris or HD 5000. You would really have to go upto a 15" entry with Iris Pro to play it at a good setting, or get a maxed out MBP with the 750m.

Tomb Raider 2013 works fine on the MacBook Air. Low settings but still plays great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.