Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old May 5, 2014, 08:30 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Considering 'Full Health and Fitness Services Platform' Modeled on the App Store

Apple allegedly is looking beyond the iWatch wearable device and may be creating a new health and fitness ecosystem modeled on its successful iOS App Store, claims a mobile health executive who recently spoke to Reuters. Similar to the iOS App Store, this new platform may allow companies to develop their own mobile medical applications that could tie into Apple's iWatch wearable device.
Quote:
One mobile health executive, who asked not to be named, told Reuters he recently sat down with an Apple executive from the iWatch team. He said the company has aspirations beyond wearable devices, and is considering a full health and fitness services platform modeled on its apps store.
As part of iOS 8 later this year, Apple is rumored to be launching a new Healthbook app, which is expected to serve as a repository for health-related data acquired from a variety of sources. Based on the breadth of data the app appears to be able to track, it is unsurprising that Apple will be looking to open up the ecosystem to third parties to help users fill out all of the various content areas.

One company that could benefit from an Apple health and fitness ecosystem is Nike, which has scaled back its work on its Fuelband hardware to focus on expanding its software-based NikeFuel platform. Though Nike CEO Mark Parker would not directly comment on specific plans with Apple, Parker did note in a recent CNBC appearance that Apple is a longtime partner and that he is "excited about where that relationship will go forward."

iWatch concept by Todd Hamilton, based on the Nike FuelBand
Much of today's report focuses on Apple's health- and sensor-related hires over the past several years, most of which have previously been detailed and which have been focused around non-invasive monitoring of vital health parameters such as sleep, oxygen saturation and blood glucose levels. Apple has hired talent from notable companies such as pulse oximetry company Masimo, medical sensor company Vital Connect and Philips Sleep Research.

Apple's latest reported hire is MIT researcher Eric Winokur, who worked on ear-worn devices for monitoring blood pressure and heart rate. Information about Winokur's hiring surfaced alongside a sketchy rumor claiming Apple is planning to launch an EarPods model with integrated heart rate and blood pressure sensors. While a new Tumblr blog post reveals that the claim was indeed fabricated, Apple patent applications suggest the company has indeed considered the integration of biometric sensors into its headphone line in the past.

Apple's sensor-laden iWatch has been rumored for several years, with most recent rumors suggesting that it may debut late this year. It is not expected to be unveiled at the company's Worldwide Developers Conference set for early June.

Article Link: Apple Considering 'Full Health and Fitness Services Platform' Modeled on the App Store
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2014, 08:32 AM   #2
Reason077
macrumors 65816

Looking at this image, I'm starting to think there is no iWatch. But rather, a series of iRings. One for each finger.
Reason077 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2014, 08:32 AM   #3
Macboy Pro
macrumors 6502a

If the Apple wearable looks similar to these mockups, I am interested. A watch, no thanks!
Macboy Pro is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2014, 08:33 AM   #4
DipDog3
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reason077 View Post
Looking at this image, I'm starting to think there is no iWatch. But rather, a series of iRings. One for each finger.
Totally agree. It's going to be the iRing!

Interactive Phone - Try out the new Virtual iPhone 5s (Download Code @ RedRome.com)
DipDog3 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2014, 08:33 AM   #5
Lesser Evets
macrumors 68030

This is excellent for the sliver of society that has health concerns. Perhaps health fear mongers can drum up ever-advancing sales, however it seems like a stab at a margin of the market which might not pan out to be more than a sub-augenblick of kitsch.
Old May 5, 2014, 08:36 AM   #6
dannyyankou
macrumors 68000

He sat down with the executive team, as in Apple asked him to release a controlled leak?

Also, this is my favorite concept so far. The user interface looks very sleek and Apple-like.

Last edited by dannyyankou; May 5, 2014 at 08:43 AM.
dannyyankou is online now   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2014, 08:38 AM   #7
AppleScruff1
macrumors 604

iOS on your wrist.
AppleScruff1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2014, 08:39 AM   #8
robboadam
macrumors newbie

The iRing to rule them all.
robboadam is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2014, 08:39 AM   #9
Serban
macrumors 68030

iRing for the married couple because there is no point to wear a ring only just to be seen that you are married. so there will be a much deeper functionality for a married couple or single as well
Serban is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2014, 08:44 AM   #10
Santabean2000
macrumors 65816

Apple is about to explode on the world again me thinks.
Old May 5, 2014, 08:48 AM   #11
BvizioN
macrumors 68000

Send a message via Skype™ to BvizioN
Quote:
In my opinion this is so far the closest concept of what an wrist wearable from Apple may look like. And we are all gonna be laughing when the name is gonna be totally different.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyyankou View Post
Also, this is my favorite concept so far. The user interface looks very sleek and Apple-like.

With them huge buttons on the side? I am not sure that is sleek and Apple like.
Old May 5, 2014, 08:51 AM   #12
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by DipDog3 View Post
Totally agree. It's going to be the iRing!
Perhaps that was said in jest, but I would love it if there was the functionality of Fitbit in a ring. I've stepped away from wearing watches in the last year. I wouldn't mind having a nice sleek, band on my finger that could monitor movement. I wear a couple of rings everyday. There aren't any stones, they're not beaming with diamonds and glamorous, but I wear them. Doubtful that we'll see it, of course.

I like the mockup above. I don't want my health records online for all to access (in spite of security, we know how flawed that is) but I wouldn't mind wearing something like that if it had a low profile and was comfortable. I should just get a fitbit, now that I think about it.
GoCubsGo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2014, 08:51 AM   #13
JayJayAbels
macrumors 6502

I could not agree with you more. The health industry is HUGE and growing.

Everyone cares about their health... even those who say they don't... should.

Apple is about to give them a great reason to start paying attention.

The elbow from the sky is incoming...
JayJayAbels is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2014, 08:51 AM   #14
ibamf
macrumors newbie

Name

I think it should be named the iBAMF.
ibamf is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2014, 08:52 AM   #15
dannyyankou
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by BvizioN View Post
With them huge buttons on the side? I am not sure that is sleek and Apple like.
I was really talking about the software on the screen, not the device itself. The hardware will look a lot better than that, but I think the creator of the concept has a better idea of the direction apple will take than most software-wise.
dannyyankou is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2014, 08:55 AM   #16
randyj
macrumors member

Can't wait!
If Apple enables the detection and possibly prevention of heart attacks then they will have far more reaching effects than just transforming the music industry and phone industries.
Personally I have had sleep apnea for many years. It was the cause of me having heart surgery. It can cause everything from stroke to depression, and some experts think as many as 95% of people that have it, don't even know about it. This watch could possibly detect the 95%.
Oh, you are probably thinking oh, this guy is old. Nope I am in my 30s.
Bring on the revolution!
randyj is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2014, 08:56 AM   #17
BvizioN
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I was really talking about the software on the screen, not the device itself. The hardware will look a lot better than that, but I think the creator of the concept has a better idea of the direction apple will take than most software-wise.
I honestly would be very very surprised if it would look anything like a watch.
Old May 5, 2014, 08:59 AM   #18
LFMNX
macrumors regular

Integration w/ healthcare providers

If health care providers accept integration of data from apps that are collecting vitals and other health related information this could be a huge market.
LFMNX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2014, 09:02 AM   #19
dannyyankou
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by BvizioN View Post
I honestly would be very very surprised if it would look anything like a watch.
You may be right. The iPhone looked very different than a typical phone in 2007, haha.
dannyyankou is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2014, 09:06 AM   #20
drcreek
macrumors member

Tumblr

The post on tumblr seems to be legit. It's been updated with proof at the end of the post. Shame it was just a joke. I want one. lol.
drcreek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2014, 09:07 AM   #21
spinedoc77
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macboy Pro View Post
If the Apple wearable looks similar to these mockups, I am interested. A watch, no thanks!
Yep, I've changed my thinking around. Initially wanted a smartwatch, but now I really want a smartband, NOT a watch replacement. I have a feeling Apple will come out with both.
Old May 5, 2014, 09:08 AM   #22
BvizioN
macrumors 68000

Quote:
You may be right. The iPhone looked very different than a typical phone in 2007, haha.
But the iPhone was meant to be a phone. Is there anything to suggest that this wrist wearable is meant to be a Watch?
Old May 5, 2014, 09:08 AM   #23
iolinux333
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macboy Pro View Post
Same here. I gave up watches years ago. I have no interest in ever having another.
iolinux333 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2014, 09:08 AM   #24
DeathChill
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I believe John Gruber had speculated that there may be a whole line of various wearables, including rings.
DeathChill is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2014, 09:11 AM   #25
samcraig
macrumors G5

So alleged app store ecosystem on an alleged device. Got it.
samcraig is offline   3 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion