Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kerryb

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2003
Pandora, your box just arrived.

Apple may be making a move to bring more than a workout tool to the market. As we are subjected to an increasing array of advertisements from prescription drug companies whose apparent goal is to get every American as a permanent consumer of their products. The "lifestyle" approach to these ads are convincing enough to get the fittest amongst us to wonder if our lives would not be better with one of these drugs. Back to Apple which has millions of consumers of their products many of which have developed compulsive habits of constantly checking their iPhones and are never without them. Why not introduce a product that deepens that behavior but instead of social media this time a person can constantly check the heart rate, blood sugar, blood pressure, etc... I can see it now people in a meeting all looking to see their heart rate when they should be paying attention. Will this new device have the same ill effects on social norms the way the iPhone and other smart phones have already or will it be solely aimed at sporty types training for the Olympics? My guess is the health industry will see this as the greatest profit boom in history.

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2012
We'll see, but at this point, I'm not seeing much that I can't already do with my phone. For example, I use the free version of Endomondo app for tracking the calories, times and distances of my walks.

Maybe health insurance companies could use the more advanced features in Apple's watches or whatever to offer lower premiums in exchange for continually tracking vitals. Many of their vehicle counterparts have been doing that for years, such as monitoring speed, heavy braking, etc.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
But the iPhone was meant to be a phone. Is there anything to suggest that this wrist wearable is meant to be a Watch?

Well, I haven't seen anything to suggest it wouldn't be. While you can't trust all the rumors and sources, they seem to all be in agreement it will be a watch.

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
Just give me a comfortable sleek wristband that I can wear all the time and sleep with. I just want it to monitor activity data and pass it to healthbook. I don't want a mini screen on my wrist that needs to be tethered to my phone and just echoes it's notifications.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
If health care providers accept integration of data from apps that are collecting vitals and other health related information this could be a huge market.

No thanks personally. Our health records are already often at risk regardless of HIPAA Compliance. I really have no desire to open up that issue further.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Well, I haven't seen anything to suggest it wouldn't be. While you can't trust all the rumors and sources, they seem to all be in agreement it will be a watch.

I will be shocked if Apple's first product in the wearables space looks like a Moto 360. If they release a wearable it will be something that your phone can't already do, instead of all these current "smart watch" products that basically mimic existing smartphone functionality.

Alphabetize

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2013
I'm not much of a health nut, at all, so I don't really see me purchasing many health related apps/hardware. I'm glad that there is a market for these kinds of things though.

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
I see a big invasion of privacy meltdown coming.

Every move you make will be tracked. All your vitals tracked.

Apple security issues are really getting bad. Just imagine all this information in the wrong hands.

:eek:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011

Apple security issues are really getting bad. Just imagine all this information in the wrong hands.

How is this possible for something voluntary? No one is required to own an Apple product. If you think Apple is invading your privacy buy someone else's stuff.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA

Well... if they can keep their data centers operational 24/7 with matching uptime ;)

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
This makes much more sense. Apple is planning something much bigger than just the watch. Still have confidence that the iWatch will completely revolutionize the health/mobile space. This is Tim Cook's baby, much like the iPod/iPhone were to Jobs.

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
How is this possible for something voluntary? No one is required to own an Apple product. If you think Apple is invading your privacy buy someone else's stuff.

I not worried about me because I would not own one but the people that participate may be at risk.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
If health care providers accept integration of data from apps that are collecting vitals and other health related information this could be a huge market.

To make the iWatch HIPAA compliant would be extremely expensive, cumbersome, and risky for Apple. Even today we see another iOS7 security hole in mail.

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
...I would love it if there was the functionality of Fitbit in a ring... I should just get a fitbit, now that I think about it.

If you haven't already jumped into the fitness band game, why on earth would you do so now?
Sit tight. Wait on Apple. You'll be glad you did.

Will do good

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2010
Earth

This could be really scary for those that are not fit, if your insurance can have access to those data you policy could hit the roof. Me personally would love it, hope my rates will go lower.

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
I really like the idea of an iWatch that tracks a bunch of vitals. But I also got an Omega watch for my 21st last year. Do you think there's any chance they will sell a band of some sort? As I don't want to stop wearing the Omega but I don't want to look like an idiot wearing two watches.
Firstworldproblems

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
If you haven't already jumped into the fitness band game, why on earth would you do so now?
Sit tight. Wait on Apple. You'll be glad you did.

Because it's spring and its never too soon to get into a habit of getting away from your desk (or couch) and onto the street or gym. The existing fitness bands can be bought today. Apple's does not. What you are suggesting is akin to saying don't date a fun-ish, average looking woman today because an amazing "entire package" beautiful woman might give you a wink in 6-12+ months.

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
Won't be a separate eco-system - it will be a new category in the current App Store - just like apps for iPhone only/iPad only, it will be a category for i(insert wearable device name here). Probably combined with a revamped and more separated Health category similar to how games is highlighted and separated out, etc.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002

News for you -- privacy meltdown started a few years back. Go Google yourself. ;)

Apple security issues? Why call out Apple when Google, MS are no where near .1000 batting avg when it comes to security? Yes, security is a huge problem now, but it's industry-wide. Also unsure how an iWatch is less secure than a vanilla Smart Phone or computer w/ no additional security measures taken by its owner. If you have your phone's (any phone, not just iPhone) BT turned on you can be hacked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.