Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thomaslehner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2014
Hello,

Just updated my new Time Capsule to Firmware 7.7.3 but unfortunately I cannot choose the old Firmware for downgrade anymore.

Why? Any ideas?

Thank you in advance!

Regards,
Thomas

thomaslehner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2014
Just in case something is wrong with a new update.

But the question is why I cannot choose the previous Firmware anymore after updating to 7.7.3?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

But the question is why I cannot choose the previous Firmware anymore after updating to 7.7.3?

For the same reason why people on iOS cannot downgrade - apple doesn't let them. I'm not trying to sound harsh but Apple tends to limit you on what you can/cannot do with firmware updates.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

If you open the OS X version of Airport Utility then select the TC you will get a popup that shows the IP address etc. In the middle of that popup option click on where is says version and is you still have the old FW version on your Mac it will let you select it and roll back.

smellalot

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2011
If you open the OS X version of Airport Utility then select the TC you will get a popup that shows the IP address etc. In the middle of that popup option click on where is says version and is you still have the old FW version on your Mac it will let you select it and roll back.

Since when is it like that? When I do what you describe I can choose from a number of versions and I'm fairly certain that I don't have those on my computer but instead it will be downloaded from the internet.

I have a 3. gen. Airport Extreme and a 2. gen. 802.11n Airport Express.

Also, you need to hold ALT while clicking to pick a firmware version.

Barney63

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2014
Bolton, UK.
On my Gen 2 TC if you do as Weaselboy suggests, but press alt/option as you click on the version number it gives a list of previous versions available.
If you do roll back it leave an alert next to the TC in AirPort Utility.

Barney

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Since when is it like that? When I do what you describe I can choose from a number of versions and I'm fairly certain that I don't have those on my computer but instead it will be downloaded from the internet.

You are mistaken. The previous firmware versions downloaded by Airport Util are stored in the folder below. ~ is your user folder.

Code:
~/Library/Application Support/Apple/AirPort/Firmware

Also, you need to hold ALT while clicking to pick a firmware version.

No... it is option in OS X and alt in Windows. Apple puts both labels on Apple keyboards to help those who are transitioning and unable to recall the change.

smellalot

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2011
You are mistaken. The previous firmware versions downloaded by Airport Util are stored in the folder below. ~ is your user folder.

Code:
~/Library/Application Support/Apple/AirPort/Firmware

All I can see in that folder is a single file called version.xml. You sure?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1218

You are right. I am not sure but I believe that they only get saved if you downgrade the firmwares beforehand.

That may be where I read it before. It does make it sound like they get saved there.

From the link:

Does AirPort Utility for OS X keep an archive of all my AirPort base station firmware updates?

AirPort Utility keeps an archive of all Wi-Fi Base Station firmware updates you install, and stores them in ~/Library/Application Support/Apple/AirPort/Firmware

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
That may be where I read it before. It does make it sound like they get saved there.

From the link:

I took a look and only the XML file was in there for me. However, that may be due to the fact that I use both AirPort Utility 6 and 5 and it could overwrite them each time it is started. Just a thought...

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Hold "option" key and click the firmware version, then you will see something like the following picture.

Screen Shot 2014-05-06 at 1.34.34.png

You can choose whatever version you want.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.