Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's share price has closed above the $600 mark for the first time since October 2012, some 18 months ago. It illustrate a significant recovery for Apple's stock, which hit a low of $388/share in late June 2013.

The price is mostly psychological, made even more so by the fact that Apple will split its stock by a 7/1 ratio next month, dropping the price down to roughly $85 per share at current prices. The stock split is meant to allow more investors the opportunity to invest in the company.

aapl600.png
Apple's market capitalization is roughly $518 billion, well ahead of Exxon Mobil's $444 billion. Apple is the most valuable publicly traded company in the world. The company's all time high share price is $702.10, originally hit in September 2012.

Article Link: Apple's Stock Price Breaches $600 for First Time in 18 Months

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
Finally a news article that isn't about mockups.

Although... Can we have more mockups? Please?
:rolleyes:

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
And will bottom to $350 after Apple announces record profits that fall short of Wall streets' unrealistic trillion dollar iPhone 6 estimates.

Alumeenium

macrumors regular
May 15, 2013
incremental updates, don't raise the share price

lets have a stock split instead to get more mom and pop investors

Ichan was really pushing Cook for this

I find Apple's lack of product innovation disturbing

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Is there anything more to this than just rotation? Apple is up about 7% YTD, Google is down around 5% and Amazon is down over 20%.

----------

What did you do between 2001 and 2007?

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
YaY.....Look forward to further upside before the split.

It won't do anyone any good but the ones who already have Apple stock, and even for those who have it your hopes won't help them much either. The idea of the split is to make the stock more affordable for more casual investors to purchase. At $600 it's already about $86/share if the split were to happen today. There's still another month or so before the split. If the stock price rises too high then smaller investors won't buy after the split leaving the existing Apple shareholders with a very slow climb. They/you won't lose money but you won't gain much/any either.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Nice

I noticed this earlier today. It is a nice round number to hit. Doesn't seem over priced at all. I'm looking forward to that dividend in a few days as well. It is just a bit, but it has a greater psychological effect on me than stock price gains. It is irrational, I know, but I like making gains through reinvested dividends. Because then I own "more". :rolleyes:

pedromcm.pm

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2014
Porto, Portugal

I wonder... Clearly having the best laptops, workstations, tablets, competitive pro software, amazing consumer software and investing more than everybody on infrastructure (that was lacking, I admit), not to mention entering and dominating new spaces like SoC design and innovative futurist features like a perfectly functional fingerprint scanner isn't enough.

Now, if only Apple had the most successful phone in the world...

Thank God Samsung is thriving with those YoY declines in profits, just like everybody else.

But I agree with you. Apple is getting their MOJO back, a new industry will be disrupted BUT:

With their talent and resources, they could be way more aggressive. I would love if Apple was a LITTLE more like some competitors. Some industries are really bad, they need Apple to reignite innovation (TV, Cars, content and Global distribution, invest in renewable energy to the point where you can sell and profit from it, etc).

However, that won't provide as much fun as Apple releasing a search engine to punch Google in the face.

Sorry for the long post. Can't wait for the split.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
It won't do anyone any good but the ones who already have Apple stock, and even for those who have it your hopes won't help them much either. The idea of the split is to make the stock more affordable for more casual investors to purchase. At $600 it's already about $86/share if the split were to happen today. There's still another month or so before the split. If the stock price rises too high then smaller investors won't buy after the split leaving the existing Apple shareholders with a very slow climb. They/you won't lose money but you won't gain much/any either.

The impact of a split is so small that you couldn't measure it with a micrometer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.