Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Samsung copying Japanese companies is nothing new. Ask anybody that work with a Japanese electronics company. I'm actually glad that Apple is brave enough to run through it, especially with the media spotlight.

ghost187

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
What is sad is that even the two capacitive buttons are there so that the galaxy phones look like they have one central button like the iPhone. I briefly owned the s3 and the capacitive buttons are a nightmare, you can't even hold the phone in landscape without accidentally touching a button.

nikaru

macrumors 65816
Apr 23, 2009
There is no such argument that can convince the galaxy audience that Samsung is dedicated almost entierly to copycat other manufacurers. They will never admit that their precious device is just replica.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
I'm fine with widespread patent infringement between large corporations. It's how progress is made and only leads to more innovation in order to get ahead. If it wasn't for Android, we'd still be without MMS (a "dying" technology, remember that argument 5 years ago?) or copy/paste. In the end, the consumer is the one who benefits.

jt73

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2013
I've always liked Samsung as a company, but this doesn't exactly shed a good light on company practices. Boo to shady tactics.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
I feel Samsung is doing a "take your own remedy" strategy. It's what every emergent country should do for erradicating slave work and reduce inequalities. Samsung is an anti-imperialist force for the south-koreans.

While developed countries can buy inexpensive commodities and use foreign labour paying low salaries, it's all ok. When they see a company capable of replicating and even improving some technology, then it's a moral disaster.

nikaru

macrumors 65816
Apr 23, 2009
Aaah the comparison photo where they felt the need to manipulate the dimensions of the phone to make it look closer to the iPhone. Just like they did with the S2 and galaxy tab

iphone_vs_galaxy.jpg

Apples-Flawed-Evidence.jpg

The size means nothing. If I make a huge rolex replica, its still a rolex replica even when the dimmensions are not similar.

mozumder

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
I get that you guys need to play to your audience, but to claim any level of journalistic integrity and publish a story with that title is just outright pathetic.

Of course Samsung copies. So does Apple, so does Microsoft, so does Activision, and Ford, and Toyota, and Lenovo, and Costco, and Boeing, and every single other company in the world.

I am in no way defending Samsung's actions nor am I suggesting they are defensible, but that title is insulting to Samsung, it's insulting to Apple, and it's insulting to your readers and your fans.

You obviously don't know the difference between "inspiration" and "copying".

Most artists are inspired.

Very few straight-up copy.

Please don't equate the inspiration that is a normal course for any creative artists or company, like the ones you mention, with outright copying, like what Samsung does.

Learn the actual details about intellectual property.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
I'm fine with widespread patent infringement between large corporations. It's how progress is made and only leads to more innovation in order to get ahead. If it wasn't for Android, we'd still be without MMS (a "dying" technology, remember that argument 5 years ago?) or copy/paste. In the end, the consumer is the one who benefits.

Um, wasn't mms added in iOS 3 in 2009? Which means it was being worked on in 2008 way before android was a threat? Patent infringement is anti innovative, why create a new technology if someone else is going to rip it off? Why bother making a new technology if I can just copy it?

Last edited:

mozumder

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
I've always liked Samsung as a company, but this doesn't exactly shed a good light on company practices. Boo to shady tactics.

Why would you have liked Samsung as a company? They're a terrible company.

Nothing they do is ever innovative like Apple.

have they ever invented anything original?

They are purely known for making cheaper version of some other invention.

They are NOT known for coming up with new ideas.

Will do good

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2010
Earth
Finally Samsung has steal from the wrong company. Apple is bring their crooked business model to the spot light.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Apple wasn't found guilty of wilful infringement though. Samsung copied and knew full well they were doing so.

Samsung has been found guilty of willful infringement just on one patent, the one that has been found invalid in ALL the other courts where Apple has used it to sue other companies.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
u see lawsuits not only from Apple and Samsung only, but they are probably the most that gets the attention...

What are they doing wrong ? >>>> Its not called "innovating" if there is a patent lawsuit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.