Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dirtnnasty

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2013
No, this works but for MBA...

10.9.2 fixes this but before it can fix anything, it have to be released... Released for non beta-testers...

So I do not understand why you react so aggressive...

copa

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2013
I really hope 10.9.2 comes around quickly
this is really getting on my nerves

withnail69

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2014
I wouldn't hold your breath

I really hope 10.9.2 comes around quickly
this is really getting on my nerves

Interesting reading this. Since upgrading to mavericks on my MBP my battery has gone to s&*t. I upgraded to 10.9.2 today to see if it fixed it. Interestingly if I open activity monitor and then close the lid for a few minutes. Then open it. I see good old kernal_task at the top running at 100% + cpu. That doesn't sound very fixed to me

withnail69

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2014
hmmm

Interesting reading this. Since upgrading to mavericks on my MBP my battery has gone to s&*t. I upgraded to 10.9.2 today to see if it fixed it. Interestingly if I open activity monitor and then close the lid for a few minutes. Then open it. I see good old kernal_task at the top running at 100% + cpu. That doesn't sound very fixed to me

ok little update. I think my problem that mavericks set my hibernation mode to 3 rather than 25. 25 is better for me as I leave my mac sleeping for long periods of time and need the battery not to drain whilst it is sleeping

withnail69

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2014
having said that

screen shot 10.9.2

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-04-01 at 21.47.55.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-04-01 at 21.47.55.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 834

jackmarshall77

Suspended
May 5, 2014
solved for me but may not be helpful to you

I have been battling with this problem on a brand new MBP retina from the department of education Victoria. It had a 3-4hr battery like from day one and ran hot.

It was fixed by Deecd tech support and was caused by a perl script I think it was a custom one.

Battery life immediately returned to 9-10 hours, machine cooled down, networking improved - i had also been chasing SMB2 problems but seem to have killed two birds with one stone.

What I learned

It is no small thing - tweaking energy settings will only be marginal, there is a real problem somewhere.

It is not necessarily a bug so much as poor error handling in the MAC? It can be caused by lots of different things if you check all the forums.

It is probably not a program you have installed.

It is probably not your battery at fault.

I was on the latest release.

One tech suggested that just connecting to a lan with a thunderbolt ethernet adapter once may have helped -but the reason was over my head.

I doubt it will help anyone as you won't have the script but in case it contains a clue here is the fix as they describe it.....

Bug Description:-

Because the retina macbook pro doesn't have an ethernet port, the perl script may get stuck in an infinite loop while searching for the Ethernet port.
The bug in configure_network.pl is on line 323:
my @target_order = ("Ethernet", "Wi-Fi"); # at the bare minimum this is the precedence.

Open Finder
Hit Apple-G and type:-
/usr/local/cdm/bin (enter/return to open the hidden folder)

The preferred fix is to edit configure_network.pl and change line 323 to read:
my @target_order = ("Wi-Fi"); # at the bare minimum this is the precedence.

-alpine-

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2014
Model: A1260
Early 2008 MacbookPro Unibody
Cycle Count: 620

Snow Leopard: 2 hours battery life
Mavericks: 15 minutes battery life (after a fresh restart, no applications running). I can literally see the battery percentage display count down :)

This change happened as soon as I did the upgrade to mavericks.

To make it more clear; In matter of hours, apple update mavericks turned my decent laptop into a desktop :)

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
This change happened as soon as I did the upgrade to mavericks.

You can't measure the performance immediately after installing the new OS. It's got housekeeping chores to do. Let a day go by and it will be fine.

-alpine-

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2014
You can't measure the performance immediately after installing the new OS. It's got housekeeping chores to do. Let a day go by and it will be fine.

The battery percentage indicator started to count down like a timer after the upgrade(of course exaggerating, but say i get 1% drop every 30-45 secs or so), and this has been the case for the last 7 days since I did the upgrade.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
The battery percentage indicator started to count down like a timer after the upgrade(of course exaggerating, but say i get 1% drop every 30-45 secs or so), and this has been the case for the last 7 days since I did the upgrade.

You can find out which apps are using the most energy by checking under the battery icon in the menu bar. And Activity Monitor's energy tab will give you a more detailed picture.

-alpine-

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2014
You can find out which apps are using the most energy by checking under the battery icon in the menu bar. And Activity Monitor's energy tab will give you a more detailed picture.

That doesn't help either because I don't have any applications running, except the operating system itself.

However I checked the running processes, kernel seems to be the most active one, which makes sense. Nothing unusual.

Nothing has changed in the past week that I had Mavericks installed on my laptop. The impact on the battery life has been huge for me, and many others on this topic and on bunch of other forums out there.

The only way to avoid/fix this problem, is going back to the previous operating system, being Snow Leopard in my case. I had no such problems with it. Will wait for Apple to fix this issue with Mavericks before trying to upgrade, if they ever do of course...

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
That doesn't help either because I don't have any applications running, except the operating system itself.

However I checked the running processes, kernel seems to be the most active one, which makes sense. Nothing unusual.

Nothing has changed in the past week that I had Mavericks installed on my laptop. The impact on the battery life has been huge for me, and many others on this topic and on bunch of other forums out there.

The only way to avoid/fix this problem, is going back to the previous operating system, being Snow Leopard in my case. I had no such problems with it. Will wait for Apple to fix this issue with Mavericks before trying to upgrade, if they ever do of course...

Is the kernel reporting high CPU usage?

-alpine-

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2014
Is the kernel reporting high CPU usage?

No, I don't have any applications reporting high cpu usage. All I can say kernel being the most active. No applications running. Fresh installation of the OS, fresh restart. I would think this to be normal, but I could be wrong.

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
No, I don't have any applications reporting high cpu usage. All I can say kernel being the most active. No applications running. Fresh installation of the OS, fresh restart. I would think this to be normal, but I could be wrong.

Can you download the Intel Power Gadget?

Very strange that something would be sucking down all your power and it's not the CPU.

Do you have power-hungry things plugged in via USB? I notice that if I have two external drives going at the same time that can cause my machine to heat up and burn battery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.