Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lunarstone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2011
Singapore
Help! I don't care what happens or any consequences! I just want to completely remove Safari from my Mac! :confused: I've already downloaded the latest version of Safari from Apple.com

Quad5Ny

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2009
New York, USA
There's a 99.999% chance removing Safari will break AT LEAST one thing in OS X.

But if you really feel the need to remove Safari:
  1. Quit Safari and Restart
  2. Open Terminal
  3. Type: cd /Applications/
  4. Type: sudo rm -R Safari.app
  5. Enter your password
  6. Type: cd /private/var/db/receipts/
  7. Type: ls -al
  8. Make note of the Safari BOM's
  9. Remove them One by one Typeing: sudo pkgutil --forget PkgNameHere (ex: sudo pkgutil --forget com.apple.pkg.Safari)

Next open Finder and delete:
(Note that ~ is your Home Folder.)
  • ~/Library/Safari/
  • ~/Library/Application\ Support/Safari/
  • ~/Library/PubSub/
  • ~/Library/Cookies/
  • ~/Library/Favorites/
  • ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari/
  • ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.PubSubAgent/
  • ~/Library/Caches/WebProcess/
  • ~/Library/Caches/Safari\ Webpage\ Preview\ Fetcher/
  • ~/Library/Caches/Metadata/Safari/
  • ~/Library/Saved\ Application\ State/com.apple.safari.savedState/
  • ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.PubSubAgent.plist
  • ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.RSS.plist
  • ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist
  • ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.WebKit.PluginHost.plist
  • ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.WebKit.PluginProcess.plist
I'm sure there are other files, but this should be most of them.

If you decide you do want Safari:
  1. Open up Terminal
  2. Type: cd ~/Downloads
  3. Type: curl -O "http://appldnld.apple.com/Safari5/041-2421.20111012.Mxtov/Safari5.1.1Lion.dmg"
This will download the Safari 5.1.1 to your Downloads folder and then you can install it (Remember to repair disk permissions afterwards).

Last edited:

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
*popcorn*
this will not end well.

Why not just not use it?

I get this from customers a lot (as well as how to remove Quicktime.) With OSX its important to note that a lot of the base installed applications are core components. Removing Safari may seem harmless but Safari is so deeply integrated it could cause issues along the way. If you don't like Safari (which I hate) use something else. Firefox and Chrome both work great on OSX.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Drag and drop it into AppCleaner. It does a pretty thorough job if you are scared of the command line.
Actually, it's not thorough at all. In most cases, app removal software doesn't do a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this.

The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
I am curious about what happened after Safari was removed?

I recently signed up for iTunes Match and it was not working at all.
The reason was that I had the privacy settings in Safari set to block all cookies.
It took me a couple of days to figure it out, Apple support docs are not helpful at all, and don't make any reference to this for Mac OS X, but one doc about Windows mentions something about cookies.

Anyway, if I block the cookies in Safari again, immediately get the message that iCloud services stopped working.

So, as posted above, Safari is an integral part of the internet services provided by Apple.

There is no obvious disclosure that Safari and the cookies are actually needed to run some of these Apple services.

anavarro34

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2009
Thank You!

Thank you very much for your help, I followed your instructions and I was able to remove Safari from my Mac.

pacmantoo

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2014
How about stopping it from running?

Is there a way to stop Safari from running as a browser - without ripping it out of the OS? Can it be added to a 'disallow to run' list - maybe under Parental Controls?

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
I guess you can change the permissions therefore only the user(s) you want can run it.
To hide it from the finder change the name in the terminal to begin with a "."

pacmantoo

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2014
Of course...now I feel stoopid!

... but it is an application that launches Safari to show its help pages, not a user that I want to block. Will keep you posted..

pacmantoo

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2014
Sorted

Thank you. That has done the trick. Set Everyone to no permissions and app doesn't launch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.