Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 2, 2007
Hello all,

I have a question regarding the quality of purchased media Vs. streaming media from the channels.

for instance, I have a purchased Aerial America Episode and it looks great. when I stream the couple of full episodes (or even clips) of Aerial America on the Smithsonian Channel I notice the quality isn't as good and sometimes there seems to be ghosting (like when the refresh rate of HDTVs is slower).

I have a 1080p 120hz TV with Fios Internet (about 40 Mb/s)

So, does anyone else notice a difference in quality?
AND are the Channel Shows hosted by Apple or the Channel themselves and possibly why the quality is different.?

Thanks in advance

glutenenvy

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2011
WA
I have a question regarding the quality of purchased media Vs. streaming media from the channels.

So, does anyone else notice a difference in quality?

Yes streaming is often less quality than purchased media even before you factor in network quality.

Apple told me that the programming quality is controlled by the studio that uploaded it. Because of the artifacts and problems I was seeing I could have a refund for the shows I was complaining about. If your shows are recently purchased they would probably do the same for you.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 2, 2007
All purchased media has been fine...just the FREE/Streaming shows are 'blotchy'

Sometimes, like on the A&E channel the shows start out kinda fuzzier/blotchy but then progress to much clearer.

Again, these are for the free shows

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.