Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is apparently gearing up to open a sixth retail location in Manhattan by late 2015, according to a new report from ifoAppleStore

apple_store_manhattan_new_picture.jpg
The current interior of the building as occupied by VBH (via ifoAppleStore)

Likely to be located at 940 Madison Avenue, the future store will occupy a former banking complex built in 1921 that currently houses luxury retailer VBH. The building itself offers a large amount of space, featuring a 4,000 square-foot ground level and 1,000 square-foot mezzanine.

apple_store_manhattan_historical_picture.jpg
An outside view of the building in 1922 (via Museum of the City of New York)

Apple has notably constructed a number of stores in historic locations, including a flagship store in Brisbane, Australia that is located in the famous MacArthur Chambers building and a store in a century-old theater complex located within Berlin's Kurfürstendamm avenue. The company's Grand Central, Opéra, and Buchanan Street retail stores have also been noteworthy for their significant locales.

Article Link: Apple Looking to Open Sixth Manhattan Retail Location in Late 2015

sshambles

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2005
Australia
Looks like a great spot.

6 stores in Manhattan though? They must generate enough business at all 5 to garner another.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
That's like 5 minutes from the flagship 5th avenue cube store. Seems odd but I'm sure they know what they're doing.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
Looks like a great spot.

6 stores in Manhattan though? They must generate enough business at all 5 to garner another.
Any Apple store in Manhattan is always mobbed your best bet is the 24 hour one on fifth Avenue at like 2am

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I like that first picture. Lots of comfy sofas to sit in at an Apple store to enjoy the free wifi and all the iCandy you want. :D

In all seriousness, in viewing this picture I realized that there are not a lot of seats at the Apple Store and it make me wonder what the strategy might be -- keep em moving?

Oh well, more on point I am looking forward to the world trade center store more than any other NY store announced (rumored).

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
I like that first picture. Lots of comfy sofas to sit in at an Apple store to enjoy the free wifi and all the iCandy you want. :D

In all seriousness, in viewing this picture I realized that there are not a lot of seats at the Apple Store and it make me wonder what the strategy might be -- keep em moving?

Oh well, more on point I am looking forward to the world trade center store more than any other NY store announced (rumored).

The first picture is not the new store's interior concept. It is what the current tenant's interior looks like. It will become the traditional Apple Store layout.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
The first picture is not the new store's interior concept. It is what the current tenant's interior looks like. It will become the traditional Apple Store layout.

I am guessing you missed that it was joke on my part as denote by the :D? Or maybe you just didnt find it funny. Let me try again with a knock knock joke --

Knock Knock
Whos there
Apple
Apple Who
Knock Knock
Whos there
Apple
Apple Who
Knock Knock
Whos there
Apple
Apple Who
Knock Knock
Whos there
Orange
Orange Who
Orange you glad I didnt say Apple?
:D

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
I can't think of an area in Brooklyn that is trendy enough with enough foot traffic to warrant a Apple store, can you?

I don't really go to Brooklyn too much, but I've been to Park Slope, Bedford Ave, DUMBO and a couple of other places... All at night tho Lol.

I'm sure there's a spot somewhere there.

TXNYnCA

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2014
Looks like a great spot.

As a former NYC employee, I can say that a slow day for us was rarely under $250,000 and usually double that... just in our store alone... and we weren't the busiest store in sales.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
I can't think of one place in Brooklyn where I would want to See a Apple Store

It's not where you would like to see one… it's where Apple can generate enough sales to justify one. Apple tends to put these stores in hip, high-income areas. Off the top of my head, Williamsburg, Park Slope, or Clinton Hill fits those criteria.

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro

I am guessing you missed that it was joke on my part as denote by the :D? Or maybe you just didnt find it funny. Let me try again with a knock knock joke --

Knock Knock
Whos there
Apple
Apple Who
Knock Knock
Whos there
Apple
Apple Who
Knock Knock
Whos there
Apple
Apple Who
Knock Knock
Whos there
Orange
Orange Who
Orange you glad I didnt say Apple?
:D

Uh, yes. That was implicit in the post to which you responded.

Actually, it was not implicit.

The :D can be interpreted as extreme happiness and/or excitement about a subject or topic.

I think a more appropriate emoticon to use would be the :p or :rolleyes: , especially if I was joking or being sarcastic.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
I can't think of an area in Brooklyn that is trendy enough with enough foot traffic to warrant a Apple store, can you?

Plenty of streets in Brooklyn have a lot of foot traffic. Plus, the presence of a prestige store like Apple will further drive foot traffic.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Actually, it was not implicit.

The :D can be interpreted as extreme happiness and/or excitement about a subject or topic.

I think a more appropriate emoticon to use would be the :p or :rolleyes: , especially if I was joking or being sarcastic.

It was the 2nd paragraph that gave it away, more than the emoticon. Bummer you missed the humor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.