Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jfoley89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2013
Ok so I think this is the right place to ask this.

When I am at home, my iPhone 5 chooses the phone reception over the home network, so when I download music it is coming out of my data usage on my phone bill instead of my home internet, is there any way to stop this?

I have the latest AirPort Extreme on one side of my house, and the latest AirPort Express bridged wireless on the other, my house isn't too big it might be maybe max 20 meters across, my phone and both AirPorts are all running the latest software as well.

Thanks for any help

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Does the phone connect to the WiFi network at all and then somehow disconnect and no longer connect again?

jfoley89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2013
Yes it connects fine, just gets overpowered by the phones reception sometimes and I need to find a way to prioritise the home wifi when it's in range so I stop getting these stupidly high bills :rolleyes:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yes it connects fine, just gets overpowered by the phones reception sometimes and I need to find a way to prioritise the home wifi when it's in range so I stop getting these stupidly high bills :rolleyes:
The cell connection can't really overpower WiFi as much as WiFi might have some sort of issues, that's basically what you'd want to look at and see how your WiFi setup/signal could perhaps be improved. That said, it might be worth resetting the phone and some settings on it (like network settings in particular) to see if that might help in some way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.