Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Katie Cotton is retiring from her position as VP of worldwide corporate communications at Apple, reports Recode. Cotton has worked in Apple's public relations department for almost twenty years, serving under both Steve Jobs and Tim Cook.

katie_cotton.jpg
"Katie has given her all to this company for over 18 years," Apple spokesman Steve Dowling said in a statement. "She has wanted to spend time with her children for some time now. We are really going to miss her."
Cotton has confirmed her retirement, saying it was an extremely difficult decision to make as "Apple is a part of my heart."

Cotton is known for having been fiercely protective of Apple executives, particularly Steve Jobs, serving as gatekeeper for all media access and shepherding executives through their formal and informal meetings with the press. Given Apple's penchant for secrecy, Cotton has long been tasked with keeping a tight rein on the company's PR operations, managing Apple's image and contributing to the company's presentations.

Article Link: Apple Public Relations Vice President Katie Cotton to Retire

NachoGrande

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2010
who ever took her headshot should be fired. :eek:

Edit: To quell all of the people that for some reason said my comments were sexist. Even though I didn't mention her gender or looks at all :rolleyes:

Why this picture is bad:

1. It's a forced smile any good photographer can get a person to show their true relaxed smile and or look. Believe me I suffer from the same problem

2. It's shot upward just a tiny bit, which is never flattering.

3. The picture is too hard, too small of an aperture, or over processing. it should have been shot wide open 5.6 or 2.8 maybe even 1.2/1.8
4. ^ which is why there is some type of motion blur or focusing issues around the eyes. can't figure out what is wrong, but something is off
5. She's smiling in one direction and looking in another. Some simple composition could fix that.
6. I'd think that Apple would have better photographers at their disposal.

For the record she looks pretty to me, just poorly photographed.

Last edited:

SmileyBlast!

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
It must be a tough decision to go to work every day when you are a millionaire and don't really have to work for a living any more.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
It's interesting to see how many MR posters are only able to see a female as an object. It was inevitable that there would quickly be comments about her looks. I guess computer nerds have so little interaction with real women that they don't understand that they have actual talents and abilities and don't just exist to give you a turn on.

BornAgainApple

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Massachusetts
Good for her. As with most Apple corporate employees, she probably worked WAY too many hours at the office. Cash in some of those stock options and live a little.

M-O

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
wonder if she would take the time to train me in her position

it would be very easy.

1. don't ever answer the phone.
2. don't ever reply to an email.
3. don't say anything to anyone.

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
It's interesting to see how many MR posters are only able to see a female as an object. It was inevitable that there would quickly be comments about her looks. I guess computer nerds have so little interaction with real women that they don't understand that they have actual talents and abilities and don't just exist to give you a turn on.

Maybe that is your bias - the comments I am reading refer to a poor PR photo - regardless of gender. Do you remember all the comments about Carl Ichan's poor photo ????

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
This is an older photo of her (when she was younger) on the frontpage. Now she doesn't look very healthy ...

Here is also an older photo of her:

22.jpg

And here is a very solid, older photo of her:

Qvlqa3r7.jpeg

Anyway, no that she will retire, that were be no secrets anymore, harhar. :D

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.