Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thedon1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2010
I started a new job and don't want to get into the habit of eating lunch at my desk while working (like i did in my old job!).

Programming and iOS development is something that isn't my full-time job so I thought having a good book to read while being at lunch might be a good idea.

I would guess it's something less about the actual code and more about theory but I have no idea if books like this exist.

Any recommendations would be great.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
Apple framework guides.
Less about code more about how to use the various frameworks. Interesting reading.

There are a lot of guides in Apple's supplied documentation that are good to read to get in the mindset of Cocoa.

Other options.
-Google and few others put out their own Objective-c style guides.
-Any number of app developers have good blogs that talk more about problem solving process in cocoa and cocoa touch.

Apps aren't just code so consider a book or two on general problem solving or design.

joshuatbrown

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2011
If you haven't already read The Pragmatic Programmer, I'd highly recommend that. It's about programming in general - not specific to Objective-C - and still relevant today, 15 years later. I'm a better iOS developer for having read it.

If you want something specific to iOS/Objective-C, you might like Effective Objective-C - I've heard great things about it, and the Amazon reviews are good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.