Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
How is this a thing? It isn't even a game of any kind. Basically a YouTube for MarioKart 8 videos?

Agree with the sentiments here about releasing emulators for legacy software on the platform. Make each emulator $9.99 and each game $0.99. Of course you have to limit it to your own Nintendo franchise games at first, but think about it.

Nintendo Entertainment System for iOS/Android
Super Nintendo for iOS/Android
Nintendo 64 for iOS/Android
Gameboy for iOS/Android
Gameboy Color for iOS/Android
Gameboy Advance for iOS/Android

I would buy each one of these for $9.99 and buy at least three games for each as well, so add $2.97 to each system as well. I am sure there are 10's of millions globally who do the same. Could probably make over $1 billion by doing that alone.

Releasing a classic Super Nintendo MFi controller at the same time would be a great move as well.

None of this would have any impact on their current hardware at all, in fact it would probably serve to not only make them a bunch of money from legacy products they otherwise are making nothing from. but it would put Nintendo as a brand back into the hearts and minds of millions and millions of mainstream pocketbooks again and remind them that the company still exists in the Western world. Could easily drive awareness and sales of their current and upcoming hardware.

Seems ridiculous that they don't do this in some way shape or form. You want people to get excited about MarioKart 8? Give them the original and N64 versions on their smartphone!

Last edited:

joelvega125

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
This has been said many times before: If they made their games available on iOS, they would make a killing. Period.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Did anyone read the article? Did I miss something? This isn't playable games.
Exactly, unless I'm missing something too there are no games here people! This appears to only be a service for posting and watching game videos, scores, etc. In other words, hardly news of any note, to the Mac community anyway. Where are people getting the idea that there are playable Nintendo games on a website?

thasan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
Germany
Did anyone read the article? Did I miss something? This isn't playable games.

- No, that was "Super" Nintendo. They couldn't find any more power-ups so the next blow is fatal...

i was wondering the same. ppl seem to think that this include web based playable games :confused:

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
Smart move to bypass the 30% cut from Apple and the cut from others - assuming performance is close to what native apps offer - and still tapping into the success of smart phones.

Unless I'm reading the article incorrectly, you can't actually play the game.

viizi

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2010
I want to see Nintendo make a big push against the PS and Xbox. I miss the days of the unique quality gaming experience nintendo provided

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Nintendo continues to fail to realize that the reason nobody is buying their games is because they aren't making any games worth buying.

I played the Super Mario 3D World demo at GameStop. It felt really slow and boring. Same deal with the DK game.

Pikmin 3 was really good, but too short and lacking in replay value.

Rayman Legends has been the best game I've played on the Wii U so far, and it's not even an exclusive.

And that's it. The console has been out for 18 months and it has 4 games worth even bringing up in a conversation about games that are out. Mario Kart 8 will be released soon, but given how poor the previous games in the series have been, I think I'll likely pass on it. Super Smash Bros will also have a sequel, but... Idk, I feel like I've grown out of that series.

Oh well... At least StarCraft II is awesome enough to keep me playing for the next year.

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
I understand nostalgia and reliving one's youth, but haven't we milked the Mario franchise long enough?

NoHands99

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2013
So basically Nintendo is so against making an Official Nintendo App they step sided and went HTML, they would make soo much more if they made mobile versions of their games and make them link with the real ones on their own consoles. Maybe they would actually move more consoles that way. Nintendo needs to hire some sneaky veterans from other companies to teach them how sucker you into their ecosystem. It's all about business and how to move products. I wonder if Scott Forstall has a job yet?:D

Ninja Dom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2007
I'm a huge iOS fan but there's one thing that a lot of posters do not know about Nintendo.

Nintendo is steeped in heavy tradition. The company is over 100 years old.

If you want to play Nintendo made video games then you will always have to buy a Nintendo machine to do it.

Nintendo would rather stop making video games altogether (and move to something else), than make video games for a platform that is not theirs.

DudeDad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2009
Sad to watch Nintendo tumble...their next console might be called the "Wii Can't"

If they put games on iOS, they will be admitting defeat, and they will kill their DS line (which is on the decline anyways).

I still have my original NES and two of the original GameBoy devices. Heck, I even have Mike Tyson's Punch-out that was renamed after he lost to buster douglas...

monk134

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2011
I'm not sure why people think that Nintendo is going to release any Virtual Console content to iOS. They are slow to release anything for their own hardware.

I have been waiting for more Gameboy / Game Gear games on the 3ds but for some odd reason it takes forever to get anything released.

Same for the Wii U we get a NES/SNES game here and there but that's about it.

Ninja Dom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2007
I'm not sure why people think that Nintendo is going to release any Virtual Console content to iOS. They are slow to release anything for their own hardware.

I have been waiting for more Gameboy / Game Gear games on the 3ds but for some odd reason it takes forever to get anything released.

Same for the Wii U we get a NES/SNES game here and there but that's about it.

Exactly, they have said many times that they will not release Nintendo made games for any other platforms. Webapps and accompanying software titles to enhance their existing games? Yes.

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
If you want some money Nintendo, come to the iOS App store.

Just Super Mario Brothers and Zelda alone will score you millions and millions of dollars.

Ed91

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2007
Releasing a classic Super Nintendo MFi controller at the same time would be a great move as well.

I will only buy it if it comes with a cable that has a sucker/plunger on the end, so I can attach it to things on the shelf and pull them off by yanking the controller when trying to jump that little bit higher.. just like the old days.

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
If you want some money Nintendo, come to the iOS App store.

Just Super Mario Brothers and Zelda alone will score you millions and millions of dollars.

Yep, in addition issue special Nintendo iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch versions in white that come with a separate custom Nintendo controller, an iTunes certificate for the first game for free or half off and they would be golden.

Nintendo should ditch the hardware business anyway, because there is no value in that anymore. The value is generated in the software space.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Porting Sonic 2 to iOS was one of the smartest things Sega ever did. I gladly paid $6 or $7 to be instantly transported back to the early 90's. Nintendo would be wise to follow suit.

Ninja Dom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2007
Porting Sonic 2 to iOS was one of the smartest things Sega ever did. I gladly paid $6 or $7 to be instantly transported back to the early 90's. Nintendo would be wise to follow suit.

Smartest thing according to who? Yourself or Sega?

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Hmm, why is this Macrumors news? :confused:

Anyhoo, does anyone really care about a Nintendo app if it doesn't play games? I can just look up videos on youtube if I want to watch someone else play games. I feel bad for Nintendo, but they just make bad decision after bad decision. Their last great decision/innovation was the Wii with the motion sensor, but then they let the competition own it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.