Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heov

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2002
What makes Apples tech different than what's already implemented in Nokia and Sony phones? This sounds exactly like what they do.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
i guess this is nice but...

I'll still keep my DSLR, my 4k Video camera, large-format film camera, my.......

Seriously though. Smartphone cameras are not in the same league as those but they are VERY decent. They easily take the place of a P&S. and this helps so much more.

For nice things/events I use the DSLR...for everyday usage the iPhone.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
But today's performance 6 cylinders are faster than today's 4 cylinders. My guess is DSLR technology will continue to advance too.

I never suggested that wasn't the case. In fact I mentioned today's D3 will crush today's camera phone. But OP's point was that future camera phones will never evolve to (d)SLR quality w/o a big lens to which I pointed out people use to say 4cyl engines will always be pokey, thus my comparison to today's smaller engines to larger ones of the past.

NolaMacGuy

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2014
Which make diddly squat difference in a patent. Everything thing here is stuff that some cameras have had for a long while prior 2012 ( when this was filed).

so youre claiming this is not a new invention, but is instead something older cameras had prior to 2012? keep in mind this is not merely OIS, but is composite photo-stitching done in real-time on a puny cellphone sensor & camera.

please link us to specific cameras that had this exact feature (componsite photo-stitching using OIS and onboard processor).

----------

What makes Apples tech different than what's already implemented in Nokia and Sony phones? This sounds exactly like what they do.

composite photo-stiching to form a larger source image using OIS and onboard processors? im not familar w/ Nokia or Sony phones, can you link us to the product pages for these phones where it defines this?

----------

I guess Apple has invented photography. Good job.

where does the patent application claim that? or are you just being obtuse, because...well, just because.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Sorry, but you can only get so good without a big lens.

That's why I'll keep my Nikon D3.

Nobody is suggesting that this will replace your DSLR. But until you can carry a DSLR in your pocket all mobile camera improvements are welcome.

And either way, Canon for life :D

slash7844

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2013
When Apple implements fingerprint tech in iphone (not the first mobile phone with this tech) and Samsung comes out with it, every apple fanboys call Samsung a copycat. Let's see if those same people call Apple a copycat (Nokia is the first mobile phone with OIS) when they use OIS on iPhone. Double standard much?

heov

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2002
so youre claiming this is not a new invention, but is instead something older cameras had prior to 2012? keep in mind this is not merely OIS, but is composite photo-stitching done in real-time on a puny cellphone sensor & camera.

please link us to specific cameras that had this exact feature (componsite photo-stitching using OIS and onboard processor).

----------

composite photo-stiching to form a larger source image using OIS and onboard processors? im not familar w/ Nokia or Sony phones, can you link us to the product pages for these phones where it defines this?

----------

where does the patent application claim that? or are you just being obtuse, because...well, just because.

Just read this the other day. I'll look for info on Nokia's oureview tech later. Just curious at the differences

http://www.engadget.com/2014/03/19/oppo-find-7-50mp-camera/

ghost of jobs

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2014

NOTHING.. but the PR chaps will just put a new spin on it and the ifans will lap it up..

----------

When Apple implements fingerprint tech in iphone (not the first mobile phone with this tech) and Samsung comes out with it, every apple fanboys call Samsung a copycat. Let's see if those same people call Apple a copycat (Nokia is the first mobile phone with OIS) when they use OIS on iPhone. Double standard much?

It's not copying , its "done right!"...

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen
People use to say that with car engines but some of todays 4cyl are faster than yesteryears 6cyl.

Truth: D3 will crush phone cameras for a while but who carries a D3 or any (d)SLR with them 24/7? The best camera one has is the camera they take with them. A camera phone isn't meant to replace a (d)SLR so silly comment. No need to be a camera snob.

It's a dedicated photography outing when I have the Nikon with me; you're correct regarding the ubiquity of the iPhone(s) presence

Really? How many bars of reception does your D3 get?

Mine gets 11 :p
Seriously though, I'm not getting rid of the iPhones or iPads.

doesnt fit in your pocket -- fails the use case this is designed for.

Yeah, there's that.

Correct. However, more quality is always good. Can't wait to see how well they do with this if it's real.

I'm also looking forward to seeing the results. It should be interesting. My current 5C and 5S aren't too shabby for impulse photography.

Nobody is suggesting that this will replace your DSLR. But until you can carry a DSLR in your pocket all mobile camera improvements are welcome.

And either way, Canon for life :D

DSLR has its uses, and that format isn't standing still either.

Nikon & Leica for me :eek:

bsolar

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2011
Nope, it's actually kind of the opposite. While the Nokia takes a 41MP worth of information and pairs it down to a more manageable resolution, this takes a series of tightly grouped small shots and builds a larger one out of it.

The idea itself is not new, e.g. the Hasselblad H4D-200MS does something similar to achieve 200MP with a 50MP sensor:

The H4D-200MS uses an extension of the company's sensor-shift, multi-shot (MS) technology to create a 200 megapixel file from six images taken at slight offsets. It can also use the four-shot mode used by the H4D-50MS that shifts the sensor by one pixel in each direction to capture all colors at each position. The latest approach adds 1/2pixel offsets to increase the captured resolution to 200MP.

Hasselblad's approach is to shift the sensor, Apple's approach seems to involve a fixed sensor but adjustable optical path.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
But today's performance 6 cylinders are faster than today's 4 cylinders. My guess is DSLR technology will continue to advance too.
Yes. Compared to what will be possible with future DSLR technology, or even future cellphone camera technology, your current Nikon DSLR camera will be hopelessly out of date and even camera phone users will look down their noses at you. (Google Glass users with their super advanced cameras will look at you over the top of their lenses, and iWatch users will glance at you dismissively and turn their attention back to their wrists.)

I remember when the question was whether digital cameras would ever catch up to film cameras.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
Really? How many bars of reception does your D3 get?

i guess this is nice but...

I'll still keep my DSLR, my 4k Video camera, large-format film camera, my.......

Seriously though. Smartphone cameras are not in the same league as those but they are VERY decent. They easily take the place of a P&S. and this helps so much more.

For nice things/events I use the DSLR...for everyday usage the iPhone.

Quite a few people want an all-in-one product that does everything. Unfortunately, I doubt a specific feature in an all-in-one could ever be as good as a contemporary single-function device. I see all-in-ones as a "Jack of all trades, master of none" while single function devices (i.e. dslrs) are masters of one/few. Other sayings I've heard is "Too many features pool the broth," or "If you try to eat and talk at the same time, you'll do neither very well." I'm just the type of person who thinks that all/many-in-ones may be very decent for many people, each individual function may not be as good as single-function devices.

wdw_

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2002
This sound like the reverse of 'Wobulation'. They would rock DLP projector mirrors back and forth to display twice as many pixels on the screen as on the mirror. Whereas here, they're rocking the CCD element to capture more pixels. Brilliant!

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Yes. Compared to what will be possible with future DSLR technology, or even future cellphone camera technology, your current Nikon DSLR camera will be hopelessly out of date and even camera phone users will look down their noses at you. (Google Glass users with their super advanced cameras will look at you over the top of their lenses, and iWatch users will glance at you dismissively and turn their attention back to their wrists.)

I remember when the question was whether digital cameras would ever catch up to film cameras.

In some ways they haven't. :)

slash7844

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2013
NOTHING.. but the PR chaps will just put a new spin on it and the ifans will lap it up..

----------

It's not copying , its "done right!"...

LOL. So if someone copies Apple, it's a blatant ripoff. If Apple copies someone else, it's 'done right'. Good logic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.