Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wazman21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2011
Adelaide, AU

Mactagonist

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2008
NYC - Manhattan
Tremendously overpriced, but amazing headphones. I love them on the subway, on the bus and anytime I just want to relax and listen at a nice comfortable volume no matter what the background noise. I hate the price. I hate the stupid dongle. But I love the headphones and I wouldn't use anything else.

Delorean2006

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2012
i had them for a couple weeks, they were amazing headphones, but used them at the gym and they did the job and they stayed in my ears very well but it was the noise cancellation module is what made me return them, the extra weight just bothered me, but still shouldn't stop anyone else from enjoying them, i thought the noise cancellation was superb and the sound quality was very very good

Brenster

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
Currently using a pair of IE20i here (the non noise cancelling in ear) which I got as a long service award at work. Whilst not the very best in ears that I've used, the sound quality/comfort ratio is so good that they're my constant companions with my iPhone for music.

Taking a UK-US flight in a few weeks and suspect that the current pair will be all but unusable on the flights so looking at either the QC20i or the QC15; anyone able to compare the QC20 to the IE20 in terms of sound quality? I'm taking it as read that they're as comfortable as the IE20.

The above linked review commented that the QC20 failed to isolate against wind noise, so the other alternative is the QC15 for using in e lounge when my wife is watching TV etc (I'm often told to 'turn the music down,' when listening with the IE20 whilst she's watching TV; necessary from my side to render the music audible over greys anatomy or similar. Anyone have any experience of the QC15 ?

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
Go with something like Shure SE315. On a flight you don't hear the plane. One I was sitting two seats from the engine and the SE315 isolated the sounds so that I could listen to my music and movies.

Chargerdan

macrumors member
May 24, 2011
The above linked review commented that the QC20 failed to isolate against wind noise, so the other alternative is the QC15 for using in e lounge when my wife is watching TV etc (I'm often told to 'turn the music down,' when listening with the IE20 whilst she's watching TV; necessary from my side to render the music audible over greys anatomy or similar. Anyone have any experience of the QC15 ?

I have both the QC15 and the QC20's. In terms of noise reduction they both perform well with a slight edge going to the QC20. In terms of comfort I think the QC20's are the best way to go. I do long haul travel a lot and having less weight on your head really helps. Also, it's easier to fall asleep with earbuds.

I don't notice wind noise with the QC20's because I don't use them outside often. I leave that to other headphones. But I do use them for when my kids are watching TV or playing video games and it does a great job reducing those sounds.

Just note that you will hear some outside noise. Many people think noise reducing headphones will create a cone of silence around them and get mad that they spent the money. So long as you know the limits you will be satisfied.

dukee101

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2009
How to streamline Bose QC20 battery dongle/module?

I've had the Bose QC20i's for a few days now and it's incredible how effective the noise-cancellation is (even over the QC15's, which I've owned as well).

The only drawback for me is the battery dongle/module. It gets annoying fast. I take my iPhone in and out of my pocket constantly throughout the day. The new battery dongle now makes this extremely awkward.

Does anyone have tips for how to streamline the dongle with the phone? I was thinking maybe using velcro to conveniently attach/detach from the case? That might make the case uncomfortable to hold without the dongle, so maybe a specially designed iPhone case that has space to tuck the dongle inside might be better... Something like that? Anyone have suggestions?

If we put our minds together and get creative, I know we can find a workable hack.

Brenster

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
I've had the Bose QC20i's for a few days now and it's incredible how effective the noise-cancellation is (even over the QC15's, which I've owned as well).

Co-incidentally I've just acquired a pair :) Having bought the StayHear+ tips and found them unsuitable for use with the MIE2i, I found someone selling a pair of QC20i on ebay without the tips, charging cable and case for a very reasonable price. Spent last night and this morning auditioning them at home and outside. Tried them on the return leg of the school run this morning - all the traffic just disappeared! Just brilliant! Only downside with them is the audio quality with the noise cancellation switched off isn't so hot but otherwise I'm floored by how good they sound and work.

The only drawback for me is the battery dongle/module. It gets annoying fast. I take my iPhone in and out of my pocket constantly throughout the day. The new battery dongle now makes this extremely awkward.

Does anyone have tips for how to streamline the dongle with the phone? I was thinking maybe using velcro to conveniently attach/detach from the case? That might make the case uncomfortable to hold without the dongle, so maybe a specially designed iPhone case that has space to tuck the dongle inside might be better... Something like that? Anyone have suggestions?

If we put our minds together and get creative, I know we can find a workable hack.

Will be interested in finding out what to do with the processor/battery 'thing'. It will fold against the back of my iPhone w/case in my shirt pocket but it's fairly bulky. Not tried in jeans pockets yet but clearly some means of not having the processor/battery flapping about, having switches inadvertently moved or (heaven forbid) it rubbing against the screen of the phone.

Chargerdan

macrumors member
May 24, 2011

I've resorted to using an audio extension cable or a rubber band.

The rubber band tends to work well because it allows the screen to be used more than a velcro strip could. It isn't the prettiest thing but it does work. Although it probably would make it harder to take the phone in and out of your pocket.

The extension cable allows the dongle to be moved away from the phone so you can leave it in your pocket while you take the phone in and out.

Both aren't ideal. I'm curious what others are doing also.

dukee101

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2009
I've resorted to using an audio extension cable or a rubber band.

Someone over at the Head-Fi forum suggested using a scrunchie type thing instead of a rubber band, like this. I'll definitely have to try that and report back.

As for the extension cable, I thought of that but was too scared to try because I thought maybe it would interfere with the in-line controls, the noise cancelation, or the battery itself (or just degrade quality which all analog extension cables do, no matter how slight). What's your experience been with it? Have any of those things happened or it's smooth sailing?

This is why I think a case that has a little slot for the dongle might be the best way to go, but I don't know if I've ever seen anything like that. It would also make the phone much bulkier, even if you don't have your QC20 with you, which is lame.

Chargerdan

macrumors member
May 24, 2011
With the 4 position cable it has worked just fine. I don't notice any signal loss or battery problems and all of the button functions work. I may look at the scrunchie idea. With 2 daughters I'm sure I can find one around my house.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.