Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Here's my long and windy road to a replacement ipad mini. I've been an apple customer since 2000 and currently have in my home 2 iphone 4s, 1 iphone 4, 2 macbook pro 13", 1 ipad, 1 mini, and about 5 ipods. also have about $1000 in accessories docks/chargers/battery cases/battery packs etc.

Yeah and? That makes you special? That gives you some kind of exemption? Sounds like you have been an Apple customer long enough to know you need to take responsibility when your **** is damaged. I'm sure the store employees just love you and your entitlement.

I stopped getting applecare for my iphone/idevices after i went in with my iphone 3g 20 months after purchase(with applecare) for failing battery . . . how even apple states 500 charges or 18 months before battery starts losing charge.

And your iPhone was past that 18 months.

O wait, I forgot, you are entitled to special treatment cause you have been such a long time customer.

i had called apple store to ask if they repaired but they wouldn't tell me.

Phone operators at the stores aren't techs so they aren't allowed to diagnose, quote etc. as such a 'good' customer for such a long time you should know that.

. he said they don't and may never do in house repairs for cracked screens.

Takes too long and has too much of a chance that someone would screw it up trying to get it done quickly. Plus the iPads aren't really made to be opened up

so i went to a family manager and asked if he could help in anyway. after some research he said he could add applecare+ and that i could come in a few days later and pay $50 to get it replaced.

So you and your entitlement snarled at some employee over how you didn't think you should have to play by the rules and to shut you up he falsified selling you Apple Care you didn't deserve. Charming.

Oh and then you happened to have your busted up iPad with you out of town and just thought you'd go into another store. I feel certain to see if you could convince them to replace it for free anyway. Bet you conveniently claimed you didn't know what happened. You just picked it up and it was broken.

If I was an Apple employee, especially a manager, I would have happily refused you service and invited you and your self entitlement to never return. People like you are why there are like 100 twitter accounts from Apple employees that hate their jobs and the customers they have to deal with all day

----------

1st, I am a bit surprised that they didn't look at the failure of the Smart Cover as a reason to exchange.

Nothing about the Smart Cover advertises it as protecting the iPad from drops so it didn't fail anything

----------

The 5th Ave. Apple Store gave me crap about how they couldn't return my iPad mini replacement (not a refurb/new) because it was considered a "part" and not in their stock, even though I was still within my 14 day grace period.

Your receipt is for a particular unit as indicated by the serial listed on the receipt. Not for any iPad mini you happen to bring in.

That you didn't look at the terms of the swap or ask is not Apple's fault, its yours.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Of course they will. They will let you buy the swap at part cost which will be like $199 and give you a chance to buy Apple Care + for the new unit.

No, they probably won't. You'd be lucky if they did. If anything they'll offer an OOW device for $249/$299 depending on the device model. They never offer a replacement for the price of a part's cost.

If you're really lucky, they'll allow you to purchase AC+ for $99 and use your first accidental repair at $49 for a total of $148.

chicagdan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2002
Chicago, IL
Can the screen be replaced?

So is it even possible for the iPad mini screen to be replaced? I didn't have AppleCare+ for my iPad Mini, but I discovered that my DirecTV coverage was good for it. So I sent it off to be repaired ... now I wonder if I've just made a big mistake.

Craigjtmp

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2013
If one's screen is cracked but still works....

I dropped my iPad and cracked it near the corner, but doesn't affect operation. I bought the ArmorSuit MilitaryShield fir iPad , and it hods the loose glass in place, prevents futher cracking, and protects the glas. Great to get even if you do not have a crack:

ArmorSuit MilitaryShield - Apple iPad 4 with Retina Display / iPad 3 / iPad 2 Screen Protector Shield

http://www.amazon.com/ArmorSuit-Mil...TF8&qid=1364270862&sr=8-4&keywords=ipad+armor

Ivabign

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2011
SoCal
Yeah and? That makes you special? That gives you some kind of exemption? Sounds like you have been an Apple customer long enough to know you need to take responsibility when your **** is damaged. I'm sure the store employees just love you and your entitlement.

And your iPhone was past that 18 months.

O wait, I forgot, you are entitled to special treatment cause you have been such a long time customer.

Phone operators at the stores aren't techs so they aren't allowed to diagnose, quote etc. as such a 'good' customer for such a long time you should know that.

Takes too long and has too much of a chance that someone would screw it up trying to get it done quickly. Plus the iPads aren't really made to be opened up

So you and your entitlement snarled at some employee over how you didn't think you should have to play by the rules and to shut you up he falsified selling you Apple Care you didn't deserve. Charming.

Oh and then you happened to have your busted up iPad with you out of town and just thought you'd go into another store. I feel certain to see if you could convince them to replace it for free anyway. Bet you conveniently claimed you didn't know what happened. You just picked it up and it was broken.

If I was an Apple employee, especially a manager, I would have happily refused you service and invited you and your self entitlement to never return. People like you are why there are like 100 twitter accounts from Apple employees that hate their jobs and the customers they have to deal with all day

----------

Nothing about the Smart Cover advertises it as protecting the iPad from drops so it didn't fail anything

----------

Your receipt is for a particular unit as indicated by the serial listed on the receipt. Not for any iPad mini you happen to bring in.

That you didn't look at the terms of the swap or ask is not Apple's fault, its yours.

I think Charlie's doc needs to up the milligrams on his Xanax prescription. He says he's from California, but acts like he's from Queens - probably another damned transplant.

I think the gentleman you so soundly trashed above was saying that as a longstanding customer - and back in the day, a loyal customer was something a company looked to retain, as the cost of creating a new loyal customer can be expensive - as a loyal customer, who unlike many on this forum, didn't take his iPhone back 13 times because they didn't like the bluish hue on the screen - or found a (god help us) a knick on their iPad out of the box (the horror!) and berated the staff. Perhaps this loyal, longstanding customer was perhaps entitled to a bit of consideration - if (and again a big if) they had it in their power to do something out of the box. Not everyone who is looking for some consideration is automatically someone who is "entitled" - but often someone who shows no compassion or empathy for another is an a$$hole.

Todd H

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2002
Eastman, Georgia
I have an autistic child so I've already had to replace a cracked screen a couple of times on his mini. Not hard if you follow directions.

Of course, I've also replaced an iPhone and Kindle Fire screen for family members so I have some practice.

. . .

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2014
i referred to this thread several times in the last week to see if I really am responsible or not for my iPad mini 2 screen trauma.so I have taken it in,and here is my experience as of yesterday.
I cracked my iPad mini 2 screen. A continuos line developed ( [_]< like this) starting at the home button and continuing full circle then back to home button.
After 2 days other dead ended cracks (lines going from main crack and ending within a few inches)were emerging.i have insurance,but wanted to touch base with the geniuses to see if I may be covered.
A couple things I want to say ...I have no AC.
My very good friend is a manager of AT&Ts' most visited store in Los Angeles ,
He has done impossible favors for me... He told me " I will not be covered under apples 1 year warranty". So having been told this by a very reputable source on this subject as he has seen many come before me with the same issue.
That coupled with the very bad taste in my mouth for Apple stores (completely separate subject you could read on a Yelps reviews of the Apple store Santa Monica 3rd street promenade by A.G.,a mind blowing experience to say the the least) I was not looking forward to going in,but saving $200 on the deductible was just enough to make the appointment necessary IMO. Had it been a $150 deductible I would have passed on the apple store completely.
I checked in with a store operator/ rep,waited 10 minutes while everyone (not the employees) stared at me and made feel so out of place as usual... Then
This cool as can be young tatted up genius called out my name.i walked up to him,he asked me "what was up"?
I told him the truth..." I may have caused it,or it may be a flaw,but no impact points present ,and 1 line that slowly developed into this".
He ran my serial number after looking at the circle,he then said "we will email you when your new white iPad mini ,32Gb ,with retina display,Cellular etc... arrives... My words .." Say what ? wow ...Thanks man! Cya "
As I left I was shaking my head in disbelief.20 min in and out with an email that confirmed the exact outcome of our meeting
It is these other apple store experiences that continue to completely rectify my hellish experience at the Santa Monica store.

Now I have to figure out how to prevent this from happening again.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
As I stated: there was an issue with the smart cover's weak magnetic bond causing unexpected separation from the iPad.

I have since bought two more iPad minis(retinas) and use the The Joy Factory SmartSuit iPad Mini Ultra-Slim Snap-On Stand/Case which DOES NOT Separate because of a weak magnetic bond! No cracked screens and no drops because of separating case.

I am using the original iPad mini on a Wallee case +articulating arm situated next to my NEC PA271 monitors and i have it running CNN or Netflix.

I do not think the magnets were designed to hold the iPad to the cover rather than to hold the cover to the iPad. These covers are not handles that can be trusted to that purpose.

hologram

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2007
How much will Apple ask to fix it or replace? I didn't get Applecare+. Do you think Apple will cut me a break?

Just out of curiosity, why would you ask that question here and get pages of conflicting replies, when all you have to do is call Apple or an authorized repair facility and get the correct answer within minutes?:confused:

If someone here says you'll get it replaced for free are you going to use that as an argument when they charge you?

. . .

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2014
Just say no to crack

I got the call from the store I originally took my cracked one into. I can't believe how nice they were during the entire process.
The guy who swapped it out said " I was on a very short list of this sort of damage .4 times he witnessed screen cracking swaps in 3 years.1st time he actually is doing it as mandated

Last edited:

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I've always been curious when I see cheap quotes like this for fixing broken screens.

Do you use genuine Apple replacement parts? I've heard stories of people getting their devices fixed at these inexpensive repair centers and they use third-party cloned components.

Nope they are not generally genuine parts. Which is part of how Apple can tell you did it.

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
I've always been curious when I see cheap quotes like this for fixing broken screens.

Do you use genuine Apple replacement parts? I've heard stories of people getting their devices fixed at these inexpensive repair centers and they use third-party cloned components.

I recently had an iPad mini screen replaced for $150 locally. The shop did excellent work and does all the iPad repair for about four school systems in the area. They're pretty busy. They also do iPhone and iPod repair.

I didn't ask if they used genuine Apple replacement parts but wouldn't hesitate to use their services again if the need arises.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Lets tone down the rhetoric and keep things on topic without attacking members.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.