Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Yesterday, designer Martin Hajek started selling a $25 set of 3D files that allow you to print your own 4.7-inch iPhone 6 mockup using a 3D printer. Today, a second set of 3D plans for both the 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch version of the iPhone 6 were released by MacRumors forum user Arthur Tilly and made available for free on Thingiverse.

3d-print-iphone6-free.jpg
Using measurements available from leaked design drawings, the plans allow anyone with access to a 3D printer to print out the alleged iPhone 6 design and see how it feels in their hand. The set includes an .STL file for 3D printing and an editable OpenSCad file that can be used to modify the design and add some of the missing details like the Apple logo.
So, here's an OpenSCad file to create one, and the STL file it makes. There are some comments in there, so you can adjust things to your personal rumour preference. And improve it, of course. It doesn't print the expected lump on the back for the lens (that would mean the entire build would be on supports, or it would have to be printed a different way around). Neither does it have an apple logo or some other details that would be nice. Maybe I'll improve it soon, or feel free to do so yourself...
There has been no shortage of renderings of the rumored iPhone 6 that provide an advance look at the possible shape and size of Apple's upcoming smartphone. A new post from Taiwanese blog AppleCorner provides precise measurements of 138 x 67 x 7.0 mm obtained from one of these mockups, while a Sonny Dickson leak shows physical mockups in roughly the current three colors used on the iPhone 5s.

iphone_6_mockups_gold_gray_silver.jpg
While there are a variety of cases and mockups all pointing in the same direction for the design of the iPhone 6, it is important to remember that most of these products are essentially all based on the same sets of leaked design drawings, and they ultimately may or may not prove correct.

Article Link: 3D Printable 4.7-Inch and 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Mockups Now Available from Free Plans

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
I love Apple products as much as the next guy; but 3D printing your own mockup of what someone supposes the next iPhone will be is a little too "out there" for me.

dylgio

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2014
Print out iPad

This reminds me of the guy who found the damsons to the first iPad and put them out online so people could print it ( on a normal ink printer ) and fold it to be the size and shape of an iPad so you could know what it feels like in your hands. The link was on this site but it was so long ago no way would I be able to find it .

iPhone7x

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2014
Will there be regular size iPhone 6?

Everyone is talking about new bigger iPhones, but if I wanted a brick in my pocket I'd go with Samsung or similar. I want regular size iPhone 6, same width as iPhone 5 all other before. Will it be available? :mad:

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
I love Apple products as much as the next guy; but 3D printing your own mockup of what someone supposes the next iPhone will be is a little too "out there" for me.

Yeah... I mean maybe in 10 years when we all have 3D printers at home but until then yes this is a bit to far :D

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
that 5.5" mockup is looking very very nice and flat, think about Note 3 but thinner and metal build...omg for those who wants 5.5-5.7" this will be the solution

decimortis

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Toronto
Everyone is talking about new bigger iPhones, but if I wanted a brick in my pocket I'd go with Samsung or similar. I want regular size iPhone 6, same width as iPhone 5 all other before. Will it be available? :mad:

Forget about the iPhone 6, dude. Look at your name.

D.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
That's too many icons on one screen...looks terrible.

I suspect if they do go with a larger screen as everything seems to be indicating, there will be a transition away from the grid of app icons that we've known iOS for since the beginning. It makes no sense to me to use additional screen real estate just for another row or two of icons. I think iOS 8 will focus on the function of iOS in the same way iOS 7 focused more on the form/looks of iOS.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Enough with the mockups 'news' already... just one article weeks ago was enough :rolleyes:

Yes MR, we get it!!!

A new iphone in different sizes is coming.
No longer "news" or a rumor.

Would be nice to have MR move that kind of stuff to page two until we have some real info!
Same old info and gyration for weeks now!

Time to skip things until we see the first home button blurred shot and a box copy shot:)

Last edited:

Aiwaz418

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2011
Burbank, CA
Hmm...

If these are legit design files, how will Apple feel about this d-bag selling them to others?

Not to mention, this mockup nonsense has got to stop - it's tedious.

KimJonNumberUn

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2013
"oh look at me, i got a non functional brick of a supposed iphone 6"

im an apple fan as much as th enext guy but to go to the length to own a mock up of a iphone 6....DAFAQ is the point

3N16MA

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2009
Space
This is great news. I'm going to walk around with one of these like I am some kind of big wig with connections at Apple so the ladies will be impressed.

I just hope they don't ask me to power it on. :p

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Funny. Unfortunately, my funds are not so unlimited that I can be that big of an early adopter and don't work for a company that has on either. Anyway, wake me up when someone posts and old fashioned "fold here," "insert tab A into tab B" version. Curious to feel the actual size of this imaginary phone for some reason.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.