Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphone_4s_5-250x243.jpg
Apple's iPhone upgrade event has officially begun, as the company has started to send out emails encouraging upgrade-eligible older iPhone owners to trade in their phones for newer models. iPhone 4s users started receiving emails on May 8, with the headline "It's a beautiful time for an upgrade."

The emails nudged iPhone 4s owners to "recycle" their phones to receive up to a $199 credit to put towards the purchase of an iPhone 5s or iPhone 5c under Apple's iPhone trade-in program, which the company first launched in August.

As noted by 9to5Mac, Apple Store employees have also received a memo instructing them to encourage iPhone 4 and 4s to trade in their phones with more attractive trade-in values. Apple is offering iPhone 4 users up to $99 towards the purchase of an iPhone 5s or 5c, while iPhone 4s owners can get up to $199, making an upgrade to a subsidized iPhone 5s essentially free.

Apple's retail stores are also displaying signs with the same "It's a beautiful time to upgrade" message, but it appears those signs may have pre-dated the kick off of Apple's upgrade initiative, having been spotted last week.
"It's a beautiful time for an upgrade. You may be eligible for upgrade pricing on a new iPhone. And if you bring in your old iPhone to be recycled, you could get credit toward a new one. Ask us for details."
First highlighted earlier this week, Apple's upgrade initiative is designed to boost in-store sales of the iPhone. The event will see Apple heavily pushing its iPhone trade-in program and launching improved trade-in options in an effort to get customers to upgrade their phones.

Apple CEO Tim Cook has noted his desire to increase in-store iPhone sales multiple times over the past year, saying Apple will improve sales through a variety of promotional tactics and incentive programs. Currently, 80 percent of iPhones are sold at third party locations while Apple sells just 20 percent, a ratio Cook would like to improve.

As Apple kicks off its trade-in initiative, Best Buy is also offering an up to $200 trade-in value for customers who bring in an older iPhone and upgrade to an iPhone 5s or 5c. Phones must be in working condition without a cracked display to receive a Best Buy gift card through May 11. An iPhone 5 is guaranteed $200, while an iPhone 4s gets $150 and the iPhone 4 gets $100.

Article Link: Apple Launches In-Store iPhone Upgrade Event to Boost Sales

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
Correct me if I'm wrong but they aren't actually offering anymore than they were in the past, so all they are doing is sending out emails to let people know. What a great "event". :rolleyes:

brewcitywi

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2007
upgrade

The early upgrade would have to allow a customer to upgrade to a 5s now, and still buy the iPhone 6 this Fall without penalties or subsidies. Even though that's impossible, that's why i can't upgrade now.

Brenster

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
Saw this here in the Uk at the Manchester Trafford Centre store at lunch. Easel up advertising 'It's a beautiful time to upgrade' banner, suggesting older phones could be worth up to £210 on trade in. Didn't read any of the fine detail though.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
it is a beautiful time to upgrade, ahead of the new iphone 6 :rolleyes:

but kudos to Apple to provide hassle free upgrade for people who don't want to deal selling by themselves.

mabhatter

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2009
No love for 3GS owners here? Could they spring for a pretty sign or maybe a t-shirt. A postcard of a nice place in the country would be nice so I know my 3GS is going to a better place.

dannsh

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2001
Clinton, MT
I just don’t understand

I am locked into an agreement with my 4S until 2015. How many people out there are not locked into an agreement? By the time my contract expires Apple will most likely be coming out with a iPhone 7. Why even bother until then.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
Currently, 80 percent of iPhones are sold at third party locations

Wow. I guess it makes sense, since there are fewer Apple Stores than all other outlets combined. But the experience of buying an iPhone at an Apple Store is so much better, I would have expected that ratio to be different.

Even though that's impossible, that's why i can't upgrade now.

That's one reason why I finally dropped my "unlimited" AT&T plan; I can now upgrade whenever I want. Even so, I'm waiting for the 6. :)

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
I am locked into an agreement with my 4S until 2015. How many people out there are not locked into an agreement? By the time my contract expires Apple will most likely be coming out with a iPhone 7. Why even bother until then.

People who bought the iPhone 4s at release (Oct. 2011) or shortly thereafter would have finished their 2 year contracts at this point. Most contracts are 24 months.

b0nd18t

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2012
Pretty obvious what this is about. Screwing people into buying excess inventory right before iphone 6.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Pretty obvious what this is about. Screwing people into buying excess inventory right before iphone 6.

There is no excess inventory. Apple's supply chain and production lines are too efficient. And we have just received reported iPhone sales for last quarter which were huge. If they have excess inventory, they just ease up on production and the inventory clears itself up.

That said, this is distinctly uninspiring offer. Apple with its economies of scale could easily do better than this. This certainly isn't likely to drive significant store traffic so that Apple employees need to prepare for the rush of upgraders.

definitive

macrumors 68020
Aug 4, 2008
you can get more for an iphone 4 if you sell it through ebay, especially if it's unlocked or jailbroken.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Better deal is to trade in your old iPhone for a newer Android device. You would be making $100 this weekend because the S5 and HTC One is on sale for $100 all over the place.

dannsh

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2001
Clinton, MT
People who bought the iPhone 4s at release (Oct. 2011) or shortly thereafter would have finished their 2 year contracts at this point. Most contracts are 24 months.

I understand. I guess I am a sane person. I think the the iPhone is way over priced and Apple is making a killing. I don’t know what margin Verzion has on the iPhone, but it is so small the have to deals while you are under contract. Next year I will be shopping for a new carrier.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
There is no excess inventory. Apple's supply chain and production lines are too efficient. And we have just received reported iPhone sales for last quarter which were huge. If they have excess inventory, they just ease up on production and the inventory clears itself up.

That said, this is distinctly uninspiring offer. Apple with its economies of scale could easily do better than this. This certainly isn't likely to drive significant store traffic so that Apple employees need to prepare for the rush of upgraders.

Ya right. Apple tried to pawn the iPhone 4 to India a few months ago. That failed attempt resulted in them pulling the plug about a week ago. Nobody who is remotely interested in the next iPhone wants to lock themselves into a 2 year contract. Only a uneducated person would do this deal.

iSRS

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
The headline is misleading. It is to drive sales IN THEIR STORES!!!!

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007

Who claimed they were huge? Oh wait Apple. Shock horror. Company claims own sales are huge. Who would have though that.

Applegeek.12

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2014
I don't like the idea of selling it back to Apple and only getting store credit. I would rather sell it & get back so I can purchase the new iPhone 6 when it comes out. There a dozen of buy back companies that will pay more the Apple.

There's even a Kayak like site but for Apple Devices that show you all the offers in one spot.

I've used it before and loved it. I highly suggest it to other Apple lovers, it's called www.recomhub.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.