Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Beats co-founders Jimmy Iovine and musician Dr. Dre are both expected to take on senior roles at Apple following Apple's acquisition of Beats Electronics, reports The Wall Street Journal. The two may not take on full time positions, but will commute from the Los Angeles area, where Beats is based, to meetings in Cupertino and elsewhere as necessary.

dreiovine.jpg
Citing people familiar with the matter, The Wall Street Journal suggests that specific roles for Iovine and Dre remain unclear, but Iovine will be leaving his role as chairman of Interscope Geffan A&M records, a division of Vivendi SA's Universal Music Group. Both Dr. Dre -- real name Andre Young -- and Iovine could help Apple secure deals with record labels and attract younger customers.
While Mr. Iovine's rock-star temperament could still ruffle some feathers in tech-centric Cupertino, it may help Apple broker deals in the music industry and appeal to the younger consumers who gravitate to Beats headphones.
Apple is said to be working on an overhaul of iTunes in order to boost declining music sales. The addition of the Beats Music streaming service along with a thriving hardware business and two seasoned veterans of the music industry may help the company achieve the drastic revamp it's aiming for while introducing new revenue streams.

Today's report follows a report from the New York Post suggesting Iovine will join Apple as a "special adviser" to Tim Cook on creative matters. While Apple's $3.2 billion acquisition of Beats Electronics has yet to be completed, Dr. Dre seemingly confirmed the acquisition in a video posted this morning, where he alluded the merger would make him the "first billionaire in hip-hop."

As noted by The Wall Street Journal, Apple's hiring of Dr. Dre and Jimmy Iovine represents Tim Cook's willingness to step out of the spotlight. Earlier this month, the company welcomed former Burberry CEO and high-profile hire Angela Ahrendts as the new retail chief. Other Apple executives, like Jony Ive and Craig Federighi, have also been stepping into the spotlight more often than they did under Steve Jobs.

Article Link: Beats Co-Founders Dr. Dre and Jimmy Iovine Expected to Take on Senior Roles at Apple Following Acquisition

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
What a badly worded article... it hasn't happened yet, so why are they talking about it like it has?

Taken from somewhere else: Buying Beats for 3.2 Billion? So they're only getting one pair then...

Last edited:

AstronomyiPhone

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2013
Maryland
I know this is their largest acquisition in history, but are there any examples of founders of acquired companies becoming Apple execs automatically?

Last edited:

brandonboo20

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2012
Noblesville, IN
Beats Co-Founders Dr. Dre and Jimmy Iovine Expected to Take on Senior Roles at Apple Following Acquisition

Attachments

• 898023f38bda654bc277cd72be6aeb4adafb7d6bc4286fd28950d26e75a8c78a.jpg
    898023f38bda654bc277cd72be6aeb4adafb7d6bc4286fd28950d26e75a8c78a.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 276

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
In next weeks news, next iteration of OS X to be called OS X 10.Dre

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
If this does all go ahead - I presume (and am hoping) that Apple is buying the company purely for it's subscription service (and in turn licensing rights) along with other assets in terms of R&D and personnel. And NOT the brand, believe it or not.

However if Apple does pull a HTC and decides to slap the Beats logo on everything, which for the record again I can't see happening, as Apple already is the biggest brand in digital music through iPod and iTunes. But if they do, and that's a big but, then I can guarantee you that I'll never buy another Apple product again.

eish2306

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2013
Wales
What I predict is iTunes is dead it turns into an ios manger - QuickTime gets a library and we get a Apple Beats or iBeats app for music across all devices which has our purchases and music library with it - apple beats then releases an less bass orientated version with some aluminium across the devices and 5c colour options some headphones and speakers - also device speakers be it desk lap or ios all get upgraded with the new apple audio orientated brand - apple Beats then announces hd audio

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
I am happy for Dr. Dre. It's amazing that he went from NWA to hip-hop's first billionaire. Personally I like iTunes Radio, despite the overall interface issues of the iTunes application but I am sure that Apple saw room for improvement when they compared it to Beats' streaming service.

eish2306

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2013
Wales
Also to use some of the offshore cash couldn't a foreign subsidiary of apple be the part which buys out beats?

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
I am happy for Dr. Dre. It's amazing that he went from NWA to hip-hop's first billionaire. Personally I like iTunes Radio, despite the overall interface issues of the iTunes application but I am sure that Apple saw room for improvement when they compared it to Beats' streaming service.

It's not a done deal yet.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland

Is the 3 billion going right into his and Iovine's pockets?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.