Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexreich

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2011
I knew that Apple took Lion down when Mountain Lion released (which wasn't a good move in my opinion but whatever), but it turns out that they've also removed Snow Leopard from their website.

Not that this has any effect on me, since my machine is running Mountain Lion and I have have the Snow Leopard install discs that shipped with it, but what are the Core 2 Duo users of Tiger and Leopard supposed to do if they want to upgrade?

At this very moment, it looks like there is no way for someone with a Core 2 Duo on Tiger or leopard to get to Snow Leopard, let alone Lion. I mean obviously you could purchase an overpriced copy of Snow Leopard on eBay, Amazon, etc., but as it stands there is no legal way to upgrade to Lion if you haven't done so already since Apple pulled the Installer yesterday.

What are your thoughts?

clownbaby

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2009
Just went to buy Snow Leopard and thought I was making a mistake because I couldn't find it. Normally I'd defend Apple until I'm blue in the face but I can't wrap my head around this. I was ready to buy Snow Lep just to upgrade to ML.

And you're right about overpriced third party. Amazon's price went up about $30 since the other day.

Any suggestions from people?

alexreich

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2011
Just went to buy Snow Leopard and thought I was making a mistake because I couldn't find it. Normally I'd defend Apple until I'm blue in the face but I can't wrap my head around this. I was ready to buy Snow Lep just to upgrade to ML.

And you're right about overpriced third party. Amazon's price went up about $30 since the other day.

Any suggestions from people?

Not sure if it would help at all, but I'd recommend calling Apple and seeing if you can buy a copy of Snow Leopard over the phone. I know that they sold Tiger and Leopard over the phone when other OS X versions were out...

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Apple's never before continued selling an OS after it was made obsolete. Snow Leopard was the first exception to that rule, because it was required to get Lion. Apple doesn't seem to feel that there's enough people left who haven't at least purchased Snow Leopard and would still plan to. It's a bit frustrating if you're the one stuck behind, but you have to see their point.

jW

Penguissimo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2009
Michigan
Well this is a real treat. We're trying to upgrade our Leopard machines (university recording studio) so we can run a newer version of Pro Tools, but now Apple has decided that we missed our chance forever? What exactly are you supposed to do in this situation?

Apple's never before continued selling an OS after it was made obsolete. Snow Leopard was the first exception to that rule, because it was required to get Lion. Apple doesn't seem to feel that there's enough people left who haven't at least purchased Snow Leopard and would still plan to. It's a bit frustrating if you're the one stuck behind, but you have to see their point.

jW

Their point is stupid. It costs them barely anything to keep this upgrade path available, and it would have cost them even less to say "Hey, if you EVER want to upgrade to Lion, you have one month left to do it before the door closes forever" ahead of time. This is yet another slap in the face to the pro market, and it's the kind of BS that has me switching to Ubuntu for my personal use.

Last edited:

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
If someone hasn't bothered to upgrade in the three years since release from an OS released FIVE years ago, the chances of them ever upgrading are remote.

However, if Apple sells something they have to continue supporting it. At some point it becomes ridiculous. People running Leopard aren't Apple customers. They're former customers.

Penguissimo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2009
Michigan
If someone hasn't bothered to upgrade in the three years since release from an OS released FIVE years ago, the chances of them ever upgrading are remote.

However, if Apple sells something they have to continue supporting it. At some point it becomes ridiculous. People running Leopard aren't Apple customers. They're former customers.

This is not how things work when you use your computer for actual media production. Many professional software packages are highly fussy about running in conjunction with specific versions of other software and on specific versions of the OS. Pro Tools and its various third-party plugins are notorious for throwing a fit after even minor OS updates (10.6.2-10.6.3, for example) and taking forever to update for compatibility. You don't just go upgrading all willy-nilly, because you need to stick with what works until you can be sure that upgrading won't break anything. Even then, you have to wait until the right time (in our case, both the summer recess and the budget allocation) to actually perform the upgrade, because these machines are mission-critical enough that you only have a narrow window in which the upgrade can be performed without disrupting production.

I don't even know where to start with your ridiculous "They're former customers" comment except to say that pulling this kind of crap is a great way to ensure that that becomes the case. Lion is just over a year old. How were we supposed to know that Apple would, for the first time in history and with no warning, permanently close the upgrade path? I could have done these upgrades a month ago if I had known this would be a problem, but now I have no idea what we're going to do.

Last edited:

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
This is not how things work when you use your computer for actual media production. Many professional software packages are highly fussy about running in conjunction with specific versions of other software and on specific versions of the OS. Pro Tools and its various third-party plugins are notorious for throwing a fit after even minor OS updates (10.6.2-10.6.3, for example) and taking forever to update for compatibility. You don't just go upgrading all willy-nilly, because you need to stick with what works until you can be sure that upgrading won't break anything. Even then, you have to wait until the right time (in our case, both the summer recess and the budget allocation) to actually perform the upgrade, because these machines are mission-critical enough that you only have a narrow window in which the upgrade can be performed without disrupting production.

I don't even know where to start with your ridiculous "They're former customers" comment except to say that pulling this kind of crap is a great way to ensure that that becomes the case. Lion is just over a year old. How were we supposed to know that Apple would, for the first time in history and with no warning, permanently close the upgrade path? I could have done these upgrades a month ago if I had known this would be a problem, but now I have no idea what we're going to do.

You haven't bought anything from Apple in 5 years. You're a former customer. Period. No point in pretending you were going to upgrade your 5 year-old hardware at some point in the future with the 3 year-old OS you're upset they no longer offer.

Find a pirated copy - it'll be easy enough. I think Apple is pretty much OK with the idea of losing the $29 in revenue.

It's hilarious to read post after post from some member of a so-called pro community complaining about a company they give no revenue to abandoning them.

Penguissimo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2009
Michigan
You haven't bought anything from Apple in 5 years. You're a former customer. Period.

We actually bought a brand new Mac Pro and Cinema Display for our video guy about seven months ago. Is that recent enough for us to obtain the coveted title of "Someone Whom NewbieCanada on the MR Forums Considers a Real Customer"? Or do I have to send Apple a check every week just to stay in their good graces? :rolleyes:

No point in pretending you were going to upgrade your 5 year-old hardware at some point in the future with the 3 year-old OS you're upset they no longer offer.

"Pretending"? Do you even know how to read? I was trying to do this just YESTERDAY, but was prevented from doing so. How the hell else do you suppose I discovered that SL is now unavailable? I would have liked to do this sooner, but as I explained, it's not that easy when you're dealing with the combined factors of Digidesign (and now Avid), Waves, and university scheduling and budgeting.

Once more—and please do try to read this time—all they had to do was give some advance warning. I got an email every day for a week reminding me to move my data from MobileMe to iCloud; perhaps they could have sent out an email or two saying "Hey, you have one month left before you're never allowed to upgrade your computer's OS again." Or am I not a recent enough customer of Apple's that I should deserve such an expenditure of resources?

Find a pirated copy - it'll be easy enough. I think Apple is pretty much OK with the idea of losing the $29 in revenue.

The fact that you think a pirated copy is a viable solution for a university speaks wonders about your level of delusion. And Apple risks losing a hell of a lot more revenue than that on hardware sales if they keep refusing to sell modern tower computers.

It's hilarious to read post after post from some member of a so-called pro community complaining about a company they give no revenue to abandoning them.

Considering that the complaints of the "so-called pro community" :)rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:) mainly centre on how they desperately want to give Apple some revenue in exchange for new Mac Pros, but Apple is still charging 2012 prices for 2010 hardware, those complaints seem valid to me. What, is this some kind of Tinkerbell scenario, where if we all just give clap loud enough and throw Apple enough money for outdated hardware, they'll finally release new Mac Pros? If you're hearing the same complaint across the entire pro community (which consists of many otherwise disparate industries such as audio production, video production, and graphic design), is it possible that maybe, just maybe, those people might have a point? Or does your apparent disbelief in the existence of a pro community mean that you assume nobody uses their Mac for anything besides Facebook and maybe typing up their novel at Starbucks?

And for the record, I actually bought a personal MacBook Pro from Apple last year. So let's hear some more about how I'm a "former Apple customer". Because I sure as hell plan to become one if this kind of thing keeps up. Your "opinions" are so ridiculous that it's hard to believe you're an actual poster and not some kind of parody.

Last edited:

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Apple's never before continued selling an OS after it was made obsolete. Snow Leopard was the first exception to that rule, because it was required to get Lion.

Well, depends on your definition of obsolete I guess. As of a few days ago, Apple was still selling Snow Leopard, but not through the online Store. I've seen posts from people who called Apple directly and ordered a SL disc. They did the same thing for Leopard after it was pulled off the web site. But, I don't think they made any more discs. When the inventory is gone, the only thing left will be the secondary market.

Identity Fraud

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2009
So what happend when you called Apple to ask if they can ship you a copy of SL? Is there a different support line for education departments?

WRP

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Boston
You haven't bought anything from Apple in 5 years. You're a former customer. Period. No point in pretending you were going to upgrade your 5 year-old hardware at some point in the future with the 3 year-old OS you're upset they no longer offer.

Are you on crack? He is absolutely right. I'm an editor and we NEVER run updates. Our capture cards, our software, our plugins, etc all need to work. We don't just run system updater every week or we could break something. I am not a former customer. My edit system runs older software but my laptop doesn't. Neither does my iPhone or iPad.

I updated once and my capture card start causing kernel panics anytime I was playing audio via another app and scrubbed the timeline in FCP. It happened every single time. I had to downgrade. I ran an update another time and a different capture card lost control of core audio. I couldn't have that. When our professional rigs get solid, we leave them the F alone. My laptop will certainly get the new OS though once the bugs found by instant updaters get fixed.

PS... Call apple direct like now. You will get the OS.

Last edited:

WRP

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Boston
Haven't called them yet, but I will be doing so first thing on Monday. Thanks for the heads-up!

Definitely do so. FCS 3 has taken down from the website and pulled from stores once FCP X was released. But when you call sales they will happily sell you a copy. I ASSUME it is the same for the OS, but I'm not 100%. Worst that can happen is they tell you to pound sand. Good luck!

Penguissimo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2009
Michigan
Definitely do so. FCS 3 has taken down from the website and pulled from stores once FCP X was released. But when you call sales they will happily sell you a copy. I ASSUME it is the same for the OS, but I'm not 100%. Worst that can happen is they tell you to pound sand. Good luck!

That's encouraging, thanks :D I'll report back as soon as I get an answer!

Troneas

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
At the alternatives section.

this.

by the same logic what are Microsoft Windows 95 users supposed to do if they want to update to Windows 98 now.

3 years is plenty of time to update a OS apple is right in assuming that those who havent done so wont do so (users of Tiger and Leopard).

Penguissimo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2009
Michigan
this.

by the same logic what are Microsoft Windows 95 users supposed to do if they want to update to Windows 98 now.

3 years is plenty of time to update a OS apple is right in assuming that those who havent done so wont do so (users of Tiger and Leopard).

Hey try reading the thread please okay?

JPSaltzman

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2011
Update: Snow Leopard retail disc (ships with 10.6.3) is still available from the Apple Store online for $19.99 (no need to pay Amazon Marketplace prices).

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

To get the Snow Leopard Server for $19.99, you need to call Apple directly (1-800-MY APPLE). (It will run under Parallels 8, etc., in Mountain Lion and Mavericks.) The person on the other end of the call will think you mean "Snow Leopard"; you will need to reiterate you need the "Server" version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.